Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Sep 29, 2015.

Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

1. jabeuy

jabeuy Well-Known Member

Thanks. Guess theyre fine for now since everyone looks healthy.
    The kole has no idea how big the hippo is gonna get haha.

4FordFamily likes this.

2. Minnow

Minnow Active Member

Do any of you have an idea of how long a fish needs to be removed from a tank before he is reintroduced. I have a powder blue that was chasing a wrasse I added. I trapped the PBT and moved him into a second tank. I was curious how long it would take to erase the "boss" mindset so I could put him back in the display. Keep in mind the display tank has a yellow tang and a Kole in it too. Thanks for your thoughts.

3. Minnow

Minnow Active Member

Any ideas? I have done this before with success but I can't remember how long I waited to move him back.

4. Minnow

Minnow Active Member

I wanted to update my progress with this issue. I waited a week before putting the Powder Blue Tang back in the tank. He wasted no time going after the Yellow Tang and the Wrasse. So I learned one week was not long enough. I was not able to rearrange the tank before I added him back because of the coral. Now back to trying to trap him again. What a pain.

5. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Honestly, PBT can hold permanent grudges - essentially no amount of time will work in some cases. I wish I had better news but if the PBT is attacking wrasse, you've got a very aggressive PBT.

You would need to add lots of fish simultaneously to have any chance but he would probably still target one or two and badger them to death.

You need to properly qt and treat new additions or your PBT will come down with ich and it will finish it off, they're very fragile despite being so nasty. It stresses them out even as the aggressors which further weakens them.

6. sanchoy

sanchoy Well-Known Member

I have kept plenty of tangs in the past for over 6-9 years of in my 350 tank. And by far the notorious Sohal is the king of terror. When he was small 5-6 inches he was fine, but when he reached the lengths of 12+ he destroyed everything (ripping corals apart) in the tank to chase others, going after other tangs, tank mates. Below is my experience with tangs from worst to best behaved; this was in my 350 size tank.

1. Sohal (great at small size, until he reached 12+ then turned into monster); After 9 years with this beast I sold him to the local fish store. He was a beauty but the aggression was too much to handle.
    2. Purple Tang (He is a bully for all new fish, I watched him shred a scorpion fish to death)
    3. Powder Blue/ Achilles : Same aggression, sword play often until pecking order is established
    4. Yellow/ bristle tooth/ Chevron (medium temperament)
    5. Naso (docile big )
    6. Fowleri (friendly)

4FordFamily likes this.
  7. Paranoiattack91

Paranoiattack91 Well-Known Member

So what do you think my odds are with this...

I've had had my yellow tang for 2 years now since it was really really small. It has gone through a tank transfer, a horrible ich or velvet outbreak, 72 days in a qt tank going through copper / prazi, and gets along with its current tank mates in a 120 gallon tank (powder brown tang, coral beauty and 2 clowns).

One of my favorite and most wanted fish since I got into the hobby was a purple tang, which was one of the fish I lost in my ich/velvet outbreaks.

Fast forward a few months-- the yellow tang, powder brown, coral beauty and 2 clowns are back in the display after going through 72 days in qt while the display went fishless. Now that I was ready to start restocking the tank I got a beautiful purple tang from a local reefer at a steal of a price that I couldn't pass up. The purple was just slightly larger than the yellow.

I put the purple through 5 weeks of qt, then put him in an Aclimation box in the main tank for a day, and released him the following day. As soon as I released him the yellow tang lost his mind!!!! The yellow chased him non stop and I was hoping he'd let up. I could not catch either one of them with a net or a trap because they would hide behind the rocks from the net and neither one would go after food in the trap because of the constant chasing. After 3 days of almost not stop chasing, the purple was so exhausted and beat up he almost begged me to net him. I put the purple in the sump while I tried to catch the yellow. Yesterday I caught the yellow, put him in the sump and moved the purple back to the display. The purple is getting along great with everyone and now I have to figure out what to do with the yellow.

I guess my question is - what are the chances of keeping the yellow in the sump for a week or two and then re introducing him hoping that breaks his territorial issues? I'd really rather not get rid of him since I've had him so long but I don't want to see the purple get beat to death again. Or am I better off just selling the yellow and getting a new larger yellow? I don't know what to do

8. mtfish

mtfish Well-Known Member

I have several tangs in a 420 gallon tank. In order added was a kole tang; purple tang; yellow tang and Achilles tang. I also have a copperband butterfly that was put in sometime around the same time as the purple tang. Butterfly can hold his own with any of these tangs and generally is not bothered by any of them. The purple and yellow would bicker a lot at first, and still do at times. The Achilles was bothered by all tangs at first, but is now showing his dominance. As of this writing all of these fish get along well. What I find interesting is that I have a striped parrotfish that got no attention from any fish before but is now being chased across the entire tank by the Achilles. No harm but just harassment a lot.

4FordFamily likes this.
  9. Minnow

Minnow Active Member

Thank you for getting back to me. I have decided to take the PBT back to the store. Very hard decision for me. I had him a while and was by far my favorite fish. I just felt it best to have a tank where everyone gets along over one with my favorite fish in it.
    I always use QT with any new addition and another reason why it was so frustrating to watch the PBT go ballistic. You take all the time to make sure a wrasse is healthy and then the PBT goes nuts. I will add this to my list of lessons learned. Happy reefing!

4FordFamily likes this.
  10. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

So IMO you have a 50/50 shot of him getting over himself later on. To help your odds you might move rocks around. However, if he is that aggressive you might be better off with a new yellow tang - but if you didn't plan to add more fish later, particularly tangs, you have a 50/50 shot of him getting over it. They usually don't hold grudges like powder blues and Achilles and the like IME. Nurse the purple back to health and get him established and make that decision.

11. Paranoiattack91

I might just have to get a new yellow tang then :( I can't move the rocks, they are all drilled and stacked on acrylic rods. I don't know if I want to risk the purple getting beat to near death again. I really want a yellow tang in the tank but I'm not sure how to add one once the purple gets established since they are from the same family.

12. 4FordFamily

What size tank again? It often works better to add more than one tang at a time, even better more than one of same family if you must do this. I've long mixed zebrasoma tangs without much issue but I don't typically add one at a time. If the tank is large enough add a Desjardini Sailfin, I really love that trio of zebrasoma. If not, you still have a chance but adding multiple increases your chances

13. Paranoiattack91

It's 120 gallons. Not sure I want more than 3 tangs in the tank

14. 4FordFamily

I wouldn't push it

15. Paranoiattack91

Just re homed the yellow to a local reefer. He's going into his 180, hopefully he'll be happy

4FordFamily likes this.
  16. 4FordFamily

Sorry for late response, how did it go?

17. sdnd

sdnd Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

They can all play along as long as they are well fed and lots of room to roam. Have to agree that the PBT is probably the most aggressive of them all!

4FordFamily likes this.
  18. 4FordFamily

Gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing!

19. 915MANG

915MANG Well-Known Member

Good information, I watched American Reef video, where he has a ton o yellow tangs. He mentioned the same info, thanks!

4FordFamily likes this.
  20. 4FordFamily

I hear frequently that they turn to Satan as they age, mine is probably 6" right now bought at 3.75 or so.

It's interesting to me to hear these accounts because a good friend of mine has a 300 with 5 tangs, one of them a 10" sohal. His yellow tang chases it around and although not a docile fish by any means it's not the tank boss, nor is it very aggressive. This also reminds me of a 12" sohal we got from a customer years ago that we put in our display tank until it sold, the resident 4" Sailfin tang badgered it almost to death before the Sailfin got slashed once. Honestly I couldn't believe how long it took the sohal to defend itself. It took probably 3 months to sell and any fish added to the display were largely ignored, even tangs.

I hypothesize that tanks with many tangs, that the aggression is spread enough that nothing too serious happens.

I am only going off of my experience, and that of my customers and peers that I know/knew personally. I do read that they're horrendous on forums off and on as you say, I don't think anyone makes those stories up.

cracker likes this.