4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily
When you introduce batches of tangs, do you QT them all together? I’m going fallow and figured this may be the best time for me to get any last tangs I want together. The tank layout is rather open because I’m running copper for ~ 30 days but will have some PVC hiding spots.
Yes indeed I do :)

Tajaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey @4FordFamily just wanted to drop by and say thanks for all of the tips and tricks on keeping tangs together!

In the end, I managed to keep 10 tangs together and they are now happily a #tanggang ! (they swim and graze together)

I got
2 X Tomini tangs (one of them was a rescue)
2 X Pacific Blue tangs (again, 1 of them was a rescue)
1 X Indian ocean Striated Tang (I honestly got him for 10$ because he was getting killed in the LFS tank and no one knew what he was)
1 X Orange Shoulder tang (an actual tang that I wanted)
1 X Mimic lemon peel tang (also 1 that I wanted)
1 X Yellow Tang
1 X Naso Tang
1 X Powder Brown Tang (This one was a mistake because I wanted powder blues and gold rimmed as well but thought it would be easier to put in a powder brown first cus I thought they were the least aggressive.......guess what!)
1 X Normal fox face

They have been living together pretty happily now for the past 4 months without incident in a 4000 litre tank.

my question to you is whether it is still possible for me to add a new comer tang to the tank to spice up the color a bit? I love my fishes but I really actually wanted a bit more flashy colors from the tang gang. If anyone is reading this, let my mistake be a lesson, Powder browns are also really aggressive and they will harass all newcomers to your tank!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going well I think! The sailfin and sohal are slightly aggressive with eachother occasionally, but no real damage is visible. More as the lights go down.

And yeah.... the wrasse eats algae. what the heck

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question on combining/upgrading tanks.

I have placed my order with my LFS for a 750XXL. I currently have a 125 with a PBT, Purple, and Desjardin that all get along (it was supposed to be a trio of Zebrasoma as suggested but I apparently cannot keep a Yellow Tang alive through QT). I have a 40 breeder that has a Kole. The plan is to combine the two tanks into the 750 and just have 1 tank to maintain.

My main question is should I or could I add another Zebrasoma tang when I do the transfer to the new tank? I originally was shooting for 3 Zebrasomas but had 2 yellows die in QT. One looked awful, ate well and then died, the other looked amazing, never ate a thing and died. But that's a story for another day. So I gave up on trying to QT 3 Zebrasomas together and the PBT kind of fell in my lap from a local reefer so I ended up with the current combo.

If the combo I have now is getting along should I leave it alone as it goes to the new tank or will it be better going forward if there were 3 Zebrasomas. I do have a Yellow Scopas in QT now because I got a good deal on it but I could take him back to the LFS if I should leave well enough alone.

Do you think there will be any issue adding the Kole to the group? He's smaller than all the others.

Edit: Would really like a gem tang. When I saw pictures online I wasn't impressed, but once our LFS got one in they look much better in person. Not sure I can bring myself to pay that much for one fish though.

Last edited:

DoobDob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a tomini tang in a 90g that seems to get along with everyone but 1 tank mate, my diamond watchman goby. For the first year, they got along great, then something changed, I don't know. I've tried removing the tang and putting him in another tank for a few months to see if his aggression went away, that did not work. My goby just hides all day now any tips? thanks.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, for some reason notifications stopped for this thread again. Tagging me helps a lot, thank you! Sorry for the delay!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey @4FordFamily just wanted to drop by and say thanks for all of the tips and tricks on keeping tangs together!

In the end, I managed to keep 10 tangs together and they are now happily a #tanggang ! (they swim and graze together)

I got
2 X Tomini tangs (one of them was a rescue)
2 X Pacific Blue tangs (again, 1 of them was a rescue)
1 X Indian ocean Striated Tang (I honestly got him for 10$ because he was getting killed in the LFS tank and no one knew what he was)
1 X Orange Shoulder tang (an actual tang that I wanted)
1 X Mimic lemon peel tang (also 1 that I wanted)
1 X Yellow Tang
1 X Naso Tang
1 X Powder Brown Tang (This one was a mistake because I wanted powder blues and gold rimmed as well but thought it would be easier to put in a powder brown first cus I thought they were the least aggressive.......guess what!)
1 X Normal fox face

They have been living together pretty happily now for the past 4 months without incident in a 4000 litre tank.

my question to you is whether it is still possible for me to add a new comer tang to the tank to spice up the color a bit? I love my fishes but I really actually wanted a bit more flashy colors from the tang gang. If anyone is reading this, let my mistake be a lesson, Powder browns are also really aggressive and they will harass all newcomers to your tank!

How large is the tank again? That's a lot of tangs. With so many you can add more without a fish being singled out perhaps -- but the tank boss may not enjoy it and they may reject any newcomers. Adding one could go very badly, it depends on so many factors. Busy tanks have better chances, I do recommend a social acclimation box.

Question on combining/upgrading tanks.

I have placed my order with my LFS for a 750XXL. I currently have a 125 with a PBT, Purple, and Desjardin that all get along (it was supposed to be a trio of Zebrasoma as suggested but I apparently cannot keep a Yellow Tang alive through QT). I have a 40 breeder that has a Kole. The plan is to combine the two tanks into the 750 and just have 1 tank to maintain.

My main question is should I or could I add another Zebrasoma tang when I do the transfer to the new tank? I originally was shooting for 3 Zebrasomas but had 2 yellows die in QT. One looked awful, ate well and then died, the other looked amazing, never ate a thing and died. But that's a story for another day. So I gave up on trying to QT 3 Zebrasomas together and the PBT kind of fell in my lap from a local reefer so I ended up with the current combo.

If the combo I have now is getting along should I leave it alone as it goes to the new tank or will it be better going forward if there were 3 Zebrasomas. I do have a Yellow Scopas in QT now because I got a good deal on it but I could take him back to the LFS if I should leave well enough alone.

Do you think there will be any issue adding the Kole to the group? He's smaller than all the others.

Edit: Would really like a gem tang. When I saw pictures online I wasn't impressed, but once our LFS got one in they look much better in person. Not sure I can bring myself to pay that much for one fish though.

I think you can add the Kole. A trio is more ideal of zebrasoma as far as aggression, but that's a lot of tangs in a 6 foot tank. If you have the nutrient export where it needs to be, it can be done. @HotRocks has a LOT of tangs/fish in his, it just requires heavy skimming, lots of water changes, and some luck!

I've got a tomini tang in a 90g that seems to get along with everyone but 1 tank mate, my diamond watchman goby. For the first year, they got along great, then something changed, I don't know. I've tried removing the tang and putting him in another tank for a few months to see if his aggression went away, that did not work. My goby just hides all day now any tips? thanks.

This is abnormal, but I am guessing that the 90G is lightly stocked? The fewer fish with a sole tang, the more ornery it is likely to be. It must see the goby as a threat to its' food source(s). Or, it acts in an intimidated manner and as such it gets pounded. This happens in the wild, weak fish can killed or chased off. Survival of the fittest -- if any animal shows weakness, other animals (even of same species for species that stick together for protection) will reject it. Biologically it makes more sense to kill of weak fish and feed predators so they don't hunt you.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you can add the Kole. A trio is more ideal of zebrasoma as far as aggression, but that's a lot of tangs in a 6 foot tank. If you have the nutrient export where it needs to be, it can be done. @HotRocks has a LOT of tangs/fish in his, it just requires heavy skimming, lots of water changes, and some luck!

Thanks. I was kind of comparing my list to his. I'll definitely have fewer fish as well as fewer tangs. And several of my fish are smaller (2 rollands and 3 azure damsels) so I would think I'll have a lower bioload than his. I have auto water changes set up on the current tank that'll be moving to the new tank, I also have an oversized skimmer and currently have a refugium but that may change to a ATS on the new tank (or both) just because I'm sure how I want to set up the sump yet.

RazorD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a few months of reading this thread over and over again and planning, I have finally combined all my tangs (new and old). My biggest concern was getting he trio of zebrasoma to get along (purple, yellow, desjardini). Some minor tail slapping at first amongst the trio as well as my other tangs, but everything (as best I can tell) is fairly calm now. How long before I can tell for sure that I’m reasonably in the clear?

(Thanks again @4FordFamily starting and keeping up this thread. It’s been so helpful)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was kind of comparing my list to his. I'll definitely have fewer fish as well as fewer tangs. And several of my fish are smaller (2 rollands and 3 azure damsels) so I would think I'll have a lower bioload than his. I have auto water changes set up on the current tank that'll be moving to the new tank, I also have an oversized skimmer and currently have a refugium but that may change to a ATS on the new tank (or both) just because I'm sure how I want to set up the sump yet.
Everyone has a lower bioload than his tank! :D

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a few months of reading this thread over and over again and planning, I have finally combined all my tangs (new and old). My biggest concern was getting he trio of zebrasoma to get along (purple, yellow, desjardini). Some minor tail slapping at first amongst the trio as well as my other tangs, but everything (as best I can tell) is fairly calm now. How long before I can tell for sure that I’m reasonably in the clear?

(Thanks again @4FordFamily starting and keeping up this thread. It’s been so helpful)
I’m glad you found it helpful!

With tangs, you’re never out of the woods. Dynamics can change and as fish grow aggression can worsen. That said, this isn’t overly common. Most of the time after the first week or so if things are harmonious you’re about as out of the woods as you will get! :)

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily i have a powder brown going through quarantine, I would like to add a yellow tang next or in the near future. I would have bought 2 together but I only have a 30 gallon qt and I was worried about water quality with 2 tangs in there. I prefer to keep 1 fish in qt at a time unless they are small like my clowns.
Is this a safe plan. Display is a 120 g 60” tank. My dt has 2 clowns. Nothing else.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily i have a powder brown going through quarantine, I would like to add a yellow tang next or in the near future. I would have bought 2 together but I only have a 30 gallon qt and I was worried about water quality with 2 tangs in there. I prefer to keep 1 fish in qt at a time unless they are small like my clowns.
Is this a safe plan. Display is a 120 g 60” tank. My dt has 2 clowns. Nothing else.
You can do them together IMO, if you use biospira for beneficial bacteria. Adding later will be tough, IMO powder brown need 6 foot tanks and they are aggressive and territorial enough even in larger tanks.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an achillies, powder blue, mimic, and convict doing well in a 210. Do you think adding a small purple would be a disaster? The current tangs have been in the tank for a few months

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an achillies, powder blue, mimic, and convict doing well in a 210. Do you think adding a small purple would be a disaster? The current tangs have been in the tank for a few months
I don’t see that many resident aggressive tangs tolerating a newcomer. Primarily the powder blue and achilles. I think it would be a death match it would likely lose. A social acclimation box may help but that’s a high risk endeavor.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see that many resident aggressive tangs tolerating a newcomer. Primarily the powder blue and achilles. I think it would be a death match it would likely lose. A social acclimation box may help but that’s a high risk endeavor.

Probably not going to risk it. I was hoping a very small purple might fly under the radar but not worth the risk. Surprisingly though, the mimic is the most aggressive of the tangs I currently have and is about half the size of the achillies and the powder blue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The definition of tang should say something. English definition states:

Tang: The projection on the blade of a tool such as a knife, by which the blade is held firmly in the handle.
Tang: A strong taste, flavour, or smell. ‘the clean salty tang of the sea

They are graceful yet territorial and at times evil but makes up the grace of the reef aquarium !!

skip0211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a PB, YT and Foxface in my 265 gal SPS tank.. there is also a red Stripe Angel, Flame Angel, 4 Anthias, 3 Clowns and a Firefish.. all have been together 3 to 8 years. Everyone gets along great.. PB chases the Foxface on occasion.. everyone is fat and happy.. I have 350 gallons of sump.. I friend is closing his tank tomorrow and is giving me all his fish .. they are in a Fish only live rock 300 gallon tank...
I’m putting the fish in my sump until I find a home for some of them.. the list is; powder brown tang, Orange shoulder tang, Kole tang, red stripe Angel and Longnose butterfly. There are other non reefsafe fish..
Can I add any of the Tangs to my current tank? I already have a RedStripe in my tank.. can I add a second? All my fish fish have been together 3 to 10 years. The 10 yrold is my PB..

Thanks...

@4FordFamily

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a PB, YT and Foxface in my 265 gal SPS tank.. there is also a red Stripe Angel, Flame Angel, 4 Anthias, 3 Clowns and a Firefish.. all have been together 3 to 8 years. Everyone gets along great.. PB chases the Foxface on occasion.. everyone is fat and happy.. I have 350 gallons of sump.. I friend is closing his tank tomorrow and is giving me all his fish .. they are in a Fish only live rock 300 gallon tank...
I’m putting the fish in my sump until I find a home for some of them.. the list is; powder brown tang, Orange shoulder tang, Kole tang, red stripe Angel and Longnose butterfly. There are other non reefsafe fish..
Can I add any of the Tangs to my current tank? I already have a RedStripe in my tank.. can I add a second? All my fish fish have been together 3 to 10 years. The 10 yrold is my PB..

Thanks...

#4Ford Family
It’s possible if the tangs are added together that it could work out, but it’s also likely the powder blue will single the powder brown out— particularly because he’s been in such a large space without seeing much competition from other tangs, that usually leads them to be even more territorial. If you do it, add at night just before the light is off (give em 20 minutes of light before bed and see how it goes then keep their room pitch black). I wouldn’t add a second red stripe. Longnose are not very reef safe, but some do it with success.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back