Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do apologize for butting in, but this is the first time I've heard a mimic tang being extra aggressive (although wouldn't be surprised, they're still tangs). Just to clarify things, when you say aggressive, apart from the fact that it harasses newcomers, does it also chase down the bigger achilles and PBT? What's the size of the Achilles, PBT and the mimic?

Achillies and powder blue are about 5-6 inches. He doesn’t mess with them. He goes after any fish smaller than he is though. He’s really not a fan of my regal angels. I’ll more than likely pull him at some point because I assume it will get worse as he grows.

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achillies and powder blue are about 5-6 inches. He doesn’t mess with them. He goes after any fish smaller than he is though. He’s really not a fan of my regal angels. I’ll more than likely pull him at some point because I assume it will get worse as he grows.

What's the size of the mimic and the regal angels? If they're about the same size, then the aggression is understood. Regal angels are known to be extremely shy and would sometimes stop eating when there's any sign of harassment afaik, hope that your regals are still doing well.

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently setting up 265 gallon. I'm in the planning stages. I have the tank, sump should be delivered this week. I have the stand and canopy built and just ordered 300 pounds of live rock. I still need some more equipment before getting it up and running and also set up a QT tank which I have never done. I want to QT every fish that goes into this tank. There are many fish I have in mind but I planned on adding the tangs last and wanted a blue, purple, desjardini, perhaps yellow (@4FordFamily from reading this thread, your calling card). I have always loved the PBT but the more research I do, the more I question that since they are apparently total ******s. I also love the Naso and Achilles.
My concern is I likely wont be able to add them at the same time because I would need quite a large QT system I would think. Maybe add the Blue first, then the 3 Zebramosa together, than a larger Achilles? I was thinking a 40-60 gallon QT what are your thoughts on having the Zebramosas together in the QT tank? Maybe use a divider? And my overall plan? TIA

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently setting up 265 gallon. I'm in the planning stages. I have the tank, sump should be delivered this week. I have the stand and canopy built and just ordered 300 pounds of live rock. I still need some more equipment before getting it up and running and also set up a QT tank which I have never done. I want to QT every fish that goes into this tank. There are many fish I have in mind but I planned on adding the tangs last and wanted a blue, purple, desjardini, perhaps yellow (@4FordFamily from reading this thread, your calling card). I have always loved the PBT but the more research I do, the more I question that since they are apparently total ******s. I also love the Naso and Achilles.
My concern is I likely wont be able to add them at the same time because I would need quite a large QT system I would think. Maybe add the Blue first, then the 3 Zebramosa together, than a larger Achilles? I was thinking a 40-60 gallon QT what are your thoughts on having the Zebramosas together in the QT tank? Maybe use a divider? And my overall plan? TIA

I have a 50 gallon QT (with 45 gallons of water). I have actually quarantined 4 fish at once - scribbled angel, multicolor, flame, potters (I've also done 3 relatively larger ones at the same time with my Annularis, Mustard and Purple) with no problems in ammonia. I actually do a weekly 10-15 gallon water change. But I have a divider just in case things get hairy (especially when I'm going to quarantine 2 angels or 2 tangs). I haven't tried quarantining 3 Zebrasomas yet, but I think they'll work, especially if you get them in small (2-3" should be good). Not sure if @4FordFamily would think if this is a good suggestion, but maybe I'd try Blue first, then Desjardini and HYT (in case they fight, you could divide them), and finally PT and achilles. The reason for this is an established PT can also be a terror to incoming fish and since you're adding 2 at the same time, aggression would spread between the two. When my PBT was introduced, the PT was the one that kept harassing the PBT, but I have a Mustard Tang there just to make sure the PT stays in its place. I also find the mirror trick very useful in introducing new fish. I used that when I introduced my scribbled angel with an established PBT. HTH.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 55 gal quarantines for larger batches of tangs. Size plays a big role on what fits or does not fit, buying large tangs isn’t the best idea generally since they can grow so quickly anyway. If you want five tangs I’d quarantine together in a 55 if they’re under 4.5 inches or so. I’d stock other fish first, quarantine and introduce quite a few before the tangs as a tank of few fish will lead to the tangs being more territorial.

Finally, PBT and Achilles together I’ve done many times but only in crowded tanks with many other tangs. I have literally a 9-10 inch Achilles and a 4.5!inch PBT in a 125 gal QT right now. They get along because there’s really no question at all of who is boss, as you might imagine. The Achilles wasn’t supposed to be that big, but not much I can do now. Good thing I have a ten foot tank!

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 55 gal quarantines for larger batches of tangs. Size plays a big role on what fits or does not fit, buying large tangs isn’t the best idea generally since they can grow so quickly anyway. If you want five tangs I’d quarantine together in a 55 if they’re under 4.5 inches or so. I’d stock other fish first, quarantine and introduce quite a few before the tangs as a tank of few fish will lead to the tangs being more territorial.

Finally, PBT and Achilles together I’ve done many times but only in crowded tanks with many other tangs. I have literally a 9-10 inch Achilles and a 4.5!inch PBT in a 125 gal QT right now. They get along because there’s really no question at all of who is boss, as you might imagine. The Achilles wasn’t supposed to be that big, but not much I can do now. Good thing I have a ten foot tank!
Wow! Its very interesting how when you have so many tangs they all get along. I would love to have both a PBT and Achilles together with the other 3 zebramosa and blue tang. The only thing I'd be worried about is if something happened and I needed to add other fish down the line (not even tangs since they will kill anything apparently). However I will mention this will be a reef tank heavy on sps, not a fowlr. I don't think nutrient export will be an issue I will have quite a large fuge, skimmer and plan on adding a algae scrubber if needed.

Another question is down the road I thought I'd take a gamble at an Emperor, my single favorite fish. (I know this is a thread about tangs). I have seen some people have no issues with them in reef tanks. If I did add one it would be as a juvenile to lessen the chances of a coral muncher. But this would likely not go over well with the 6 tangs already in the tank and adding a juvi angel into the mix right?

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Its very interesting how when you have so many tangs they all get along. I would love to have both a PBT and Achilles together with the other 3 zebramosa and blue tang. The only thing I'd be worried about is if something happened and I needed to add other fish down the line (not even tangs since they will kill anything apparently). However I will mention this will be a reef tank heavy on sps, not a fowlr. I don't think nutrient export will be an issue I will have quite a large fuge, skimmer and plan on adding a algae scrubber if needed.

Another question is down the road I thought I'd take a gamble at an Emperor, my single favorite fish. (I know this is a thread about tangs). I have seen some people have no issues with them in reef tanks. If I did add one it would be as a juvenile to lessen the chances of a coral muncher. But this would likely not go over well with the 6 tangs already in the tank and adding a juvi angel into the mix right?

Btw my tank is 84x24x30

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Forget SPS with 6 tangs and an emp! Lol.

Adding fish later can be tricky, a social acclimation box can do the trick.

CoreyWakefield123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget SPS with 6 tangs and an emp! Lol.

Adding fish later can be tricky, a social acclimation box can do the trick.
Lol I was worried about that. WWC has all their tanks with the tang gang. Maybe I'll forget about the Emp, what would you recommend for tangs if I wanted to have either an Achilles or PBT? I'd be cool with a Purble, blue, desjardini and an Achilles.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I was worried about that. WWC has all their tanks with the tang gang. Maybe I'll forget about the Emp, what would you recommend for tangs if I wanted to have either an Achilles or PBT? I'd be cool with a Purble, blue, desjardini and an Achilles.
I think it’s still a lot of tangs for an sps tank by many peoples standards but with proper nutrient export you should be fine. I bet it would work if added together! :)

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an only tang, white-tailed bristletooth. I would like to add another tang that actually eats algae. The tank is a RSR525, 5 foot tank.
I am wondering if a convict tang is sufficiently different enough the WTB tang will accept the addition. In general, the WTB has not been terribly aggressive.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an only tang, white-tailed bristletooth. I would like to add another tang that actually eats algae. The tank is a RSR525, 5 foot tank.
I am wondering if a convict tang is sufficiently different enough the WTB tang will accept the addition. In general, the WTB has not been terribly aggressive.
It is a good mix of fish but for the fact white tail tangs are generally considerably aggressive to other tangs, and adding one tang to resident tang’s sole territory is very dangerous. If you try it I’d use a social acclimation box.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's his tank. Convicts may be too meek, LiveAquaria indicates not to mix convicts with other tangs.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's his tank. Convicts may be too meek, LiveAquaria indicates not to mix convicts with other tangs.
Most websites say not to mix tangs in general. It’s true that convict are generally less aggressive and smaller (more suitable for sub 6 foot tanks) however.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, for your experience and input. I’m getting ready for some new Tang’s. So this is helpful and your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I currently have a clown tang that’s attitude has outgrown my 125gal tank. I got him as a baby, knowing that this day would come. I’m getting ready to trade him then bring home a powder brown, a purple and maybe one other. I’d love to have a kole or a yellow tang with this group.
I do also have a CBB that is holding her own with the Clown Tang, but just barely.
I may be trying to over stock as this is a 125 mixed reef tank. Am I being rediculous?
tank shot oct 29 2018.jpg

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, for your experience and input. I’m getting ready for some new Tang’s. So this is helpful and your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I currently have a clown tang that’s attitude has outgrown my 125gal tank. I got him as a baby, knowing that this day would come. I’m getting ready to trade him then bring home a powder brown, a purple and maybe one other. I’d love to have a kole or a yellow tang with this group.
I do also have a CBB that is holding her own with the Clown Tang, but just barely.
I may be trying to over stock as this is a 125 mixed reef tank. Am I being rediculous?
tank shot oct 29 2018.jpg
That’s a lot of tangs for a 125...

If you do regime the clown, it’s possible. Remember to quarantine everything as the odds of you introducing velvet or ich are near 100% these days especially with multiple tang additions. A kole might work better than a yellow because yellow and purple are of the same genus (zebrasoma). Purple and kole though can have some issues I suspect based on coloration and the fact that both tend to be more aggressive than other members of their respective genus’.

If added together you may be fine, I wouldn’t try just two zebrasoma.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of tangs for a 125...

If you do regime the clown, it’s possible. Remember to quarantine everything as the odds of you introducing velvet or ich are near 100% these days especially with multiple tang additions. A kole might work better than a yellow because yellow and purple are of the same genus (zebrasoma). Purple and kole though can have some issues I suspect based on coloration and the fact that both tend to be more aggressive than other members of their respective genus’.

If added together you may be fine, I wouldn’t try just two zebrasoma.
Thanks for your suggestion. Appreciated.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a 5" Achilles.... not quite sure why they're expert only. Should do great; its a 300 gallon tank, and barely any fish in there. A 4" sailfin and 3" blue tang. Tons of space.

I wasn't sure if that was a spot above its eye. It was on sale, so was listed for a while, and then a 50 gift card. Also 14 day guarantee.

nannyQW.jpg

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a 5" Achilles.... not quite sure why they're expert only. Should do great; its a 300 gallon tank, and barely any fish in there. A 4" sailfin and 3" blue tang. Tons of space.

I wasn't sure if that was a spot above its eye. It was on sale, so was listed for a while, and then a 50 gift card. Also 14 day guarantee.

nannyQW.jpg
They’re expert level because they’re very needy fish— they need 100% parasite-free environment requiring full quarantine and prophylactic treatment of everything wet going in and out, they need very high oxygen levels in the tank (they live in the surf area rich in oxygen in the wild), they are somewhat tough to get feeding (for a tang), they have very high metabolisms and must feed a lot to subsist long-term, and they’re very dirty fish as a result but yet require cleaner water than other tangs — generally.

The biggest reasons are the parasites, feeding, and space requirements.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re expert level because they’re very needy fish— they need 100% parasite-free environment requiring full quarantine and prophylactic treatment of everything wet going in and out, they need very high oxygen levels in the tank (they live in the surf area rich in oxygen in the wild), they are somewhat tough to get feeding (for a tang), they have very high metabolisms and must feed a lot to subsist long-term, and they’re very dirty fish as a result but yet require cleaner water than other tangs — generally.

The biggest reasons are the parasites, feeding, and space requirements.

Hmm... thanks. I’m not prepared to nor able to supply that sort of sterile environment. But I do have the space, with a barely-stocked 300. And it’s from divers den, so should be eating.

What do you think.... I can’t do the quarantine. But my tank is quite healthy and stable. Should I cancel? It wouldn’t ship till Monday, so I have time.

Last edited:
Back