Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually no, the Achilles and powder brown were introduced at the same time as the sailfin and kole. Then I added the yellow tang, purple tang, and PBT second round, lastly my yellow belly blue hippo.

Well that is interesting, good thing the achilles and powder brown didn't gang up on the powder blue, or am I missing something here?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is interesting, good thing the achilles and powder brown didn't gang up on the powder blue, or am I missing something here?
Risky move, facilitated by @4FordFamily. He was much smaller than them. So he kind of flew under the radar, he has now caught up to their sizes. I don't know that It could be repeated. There was plenty of other tang distraction as well with all of the others.

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Risky move, facilitated by @4FordFamily. He was much smaller than them. So he kind of flew under the radar, he has now caught up to their sizes. I don't know that It could be repeated. There was plenty of other tang distraction as well with all of the others.

Interesting.

Hope that we could really have a compilation of accounts on introducing tangs. It's interesting that a play on two factors (great size difference and introduction of multiple tangs at the same time; and maybe a little luck) would probably account for the success of the situation.

One thing I also noticed whether it be angels or tangs, they grow quite fast when they're "catching up" to the size of other fish, but relatively slow when they're just growing for the sake of growing in size (I believe there are exceptions to this like the French angel and the like). My PBT has also caught up in size with my Mustard Tang in just a span of 2-3 months, after that, I see no growth in my Annularis angel, mustard tang, purple tang, or even my PBT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.

Hope that we could really have a compilation of accounts on introducing tangs. It's interesting that a play on two factors (great size difference and introduction of multiple tangs at the same time; and maybe a little luck) would probably account for the success of the situation.

One thing I also noticed whether it be angels or tangs, they grow quite fast when they're "catching up" to the size of other fish, but relatively slow when they're just growing for the sake of growing in size (I believe there are exceptions to this like the French angel and the like). My PBT has also caught up in size with my Mustard Tang in just a span of 2-3 months, after that, I see no growth in my Annularis angel, mustard tang, purple tang, or even my PBT.
Large angels grow rather quickly to 4-5 inches and then tend to slow. For tangs it’s 3-4 depending on species. Purple tangs are relatively slow growers in general.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a scopas tang who now unfortunately died, he went after everything. My angel. Wrasse. Even my snails and hermit crabs. My maroon clowns were the only thing he didn't terrorize.
Guessing he was an only tang or it was a large tank with few tangs?

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing he was an only tang or it was a large tank with few tangs?
He was the only tang. He for sure would've been trouble for any other tangs. I was trying to rehome him but he got some illness and he died pretty fast :(

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was the only tang. He for sure would've been trouble for any other tangs. I was trying to rehome him but he got some illness and he died pretty fast :(
That’s why it behaved that way. An only tang can be far more aggressive. They get accustomed to keeping their territory free of herbivores and other tangs. This is also true of lightly stocked tanks.

While lightly stocked and only tangs are good things this is the flip side.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large angels grow rather quickly to 4-5 inches and then tend to slow. For tangs it’s 3-4 depending on species. Purple tangs are relatively slow growers in general.
My Purple grew fairly quickly. I got mine the size of a quarter not counting the tail. He is about 5 inches after 18 months.

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I've noticed this as well with angels. My annularis "stopped growing" for the past 4-5 months. Never noticed that big of a size difference.

My Purple grew fairly quickly. I got mine the size of a quarter not counting the tail. He is about 5 inches after 18 months.

I also have a purple as well that grew to 3.5-4" from 2-2.5" in less than a year, now it "stopped growing" for the past 3-4 months as well.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's generally when they slow their growth, but that's some strong growth, you feed well!

Yes, I've noticed this as well with angels. My annularis "stopped growing" for the past 4-5 months. Never noticed that big of a size difference.

I also have a purple as well that grew to 3.5-4" from 2-2.5" in less than a year, now it "stopped growing" for the past 3-4 months as well.

Yeah that's pretty typical. Around 4-4.5 inches they seem to slow.

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why it behaved that way. An only tang can be far more aggressive. They get accustomed to keeping their territory free of herbivores and other tangs. This is also true of lightly stocked tanks.

While lightly stocked and only tangs are good things this is the flip side.

What smaller tangs might I have success with? I plan to get a bristletooth (tomini) tang.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What smaller tangs might I have success with? I plan to get a bristletooth (tomini) tang.

Well, nothing is a guarantee but I'd say a Tomini is a good choice. What was the tank size?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily I have a 200 gallon with a small hippo and medium sized scopas in their together for about 8 months without issue, love the desjardini would this be an ok addition with the scopas?
Scopas may reject a single tang that is also of zebrasoma genus. Their temperaments differ a lot, but Id say adding two zebrasoma would be a safer bet. For aggression, the more added concurrently, the better.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have the mimic tang listed. Any experience with that one?

I have a mimic now just starting to transition to adult colors. It’s meaner than my big achillies and big powder blue. If I had it to do over I wouldn’t have bought it. It’s my only experience with a mimic so I may have just got an extra agressive one but he’s my only tang that harasses every new addition. He doesn’t kill anything so far but he definitely stresses them out.

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mimic now just starting to transition to adult colors. It’s meaner than my big achillies and big powder blue. If I had it to do over I wouldn’t have bought it. It’s my only experience with a mimic so I may have just got an extra agressive one but he’s my only tang that harasses every new addition. He doesn’t kill anything so far but he definitely stresses them out.

I do apologize for butting in, but this is the first time I've heard a mimic tang being extra aggressive (although wouldn't be surprised, they're still tangs). Just to clarify things, when you say aggressive, apart from the fact that it harasses newcomers, does it also chase down the bigger achilles and PBT? What's the size of the Achilles, PBT and the mimic?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back