Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya and knew it would most likely be an issue but wanted to ask, The tank just needs more fish but if I get something too small it will be bullied and maybe killed. The clown and Damsel literally attack and bite. Hell they both bite my arm when Im working in the tank and even attack the siphon when doing water changes. Id love to get rid of them but they are the only fish that wont go into the trap.

I'm not sure if this will work but I have had pesky aggressive fish that were put in check when I added a larger dominant fish. the large fish could care less about small new additions but will sometimes intervene to stifle aggression from the other fish in its territory. So far I have observed this behavior in a few tangs and one wrasse. But maybe all of them were anomalies. Regardless, it will probably help to dethrone your aggressive fish as the rulers of your tank. More experienced reefers probably have better solutions but that's my first thought.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya and knew it would most likely be an issue but wanted to ask, The tank just needs more fish but if I get something too small it will be bullied and maybe killed. The clown and Damsel literally attack and bite. Hell they both bite my arm when Im working in the tank and even attack the siphon when doing water changes. Id love to get rid of them but they are the only fish that wont go into the trap.
I’ve removed rocks, coral, and water to remove fish like that before. Not fun at all.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily Anything I can do about an unruly Desjardini? He has been a real bully the last few days and seems to have set his sites on my magnificent foxface. It's a beautiful fish and I would hate to have to rehome him but I think that might be my only option. I've been trying to catch him so I can sump him for a few days but that is easier said than done.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily Anything I can do about an unruly Desjardini? He has been a real bully the last few days and seems to have set his sites on my magnificent foxface. It's a beautiful fish and I would hate to have to rehome him but I think that might be my only option. I've been trying to catch him so I can sump him for a few days but that is easier said than done.
Unfortunately I don’t know there’s much you can do. My sohal picks on my Maggie foxface... but honestly as soon as he’s stung he will figure it out I’m sure. No damage has been done. If yours is losing weight or taking damage it’s time to rehome because I doubt you can curb that any other way :(

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t know there’s much you can do. My sohal picks on my Maggie foxface... but honestly as soon as he’s stung he will figure it out I’m sure. No damage has been done. If yours is losing weight or taking damage it’s time to rehome because I doubt you can curb that any other way :(
No damage yet but I don't want it to come to that. I see the foxface flare but the tang hasn't been stung yet as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No damage yet but I don't want it to come to that. I see the foxface flare but the tang hasn't been stung yet as far as I can tell.
You’ll know it’ll stun it for a good while and dissuade further encounters!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I curbed my desjardini...and my achilies...by putting a 10" sohal in the tank :)

The achilies took ONE swipe at him and swam away with a nasty gash. You know that Clint Eastwood movie where he is a preacher and cleans up the town of misfits? That is my sohal.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I curbed my desjardini...and my achilies...by putting a 10" sohal in the tank :)

The achilies took ONE swipe at him and swam away with a nasty gash. You know that Clint Eastwood movie where he is a preacher and cleans up the town of misfits? That is my sohal.
I don't think that's going to work for me. I'm going to try to rehome the desjardini and get a smaller fish, I just have to catch him first.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily I have a 240gal DT. Have 2 clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 diamond goby, 1 royal gramma, 1redline wrasse, 1redheaded wrasse and 1 foxface in now. I have 1 Naso tang, 1 yellow tang and a sailfin tang being added tomorrow from QT. All are small except foxface. Still trying to decide what would work for next group of fish. We know we want yellow eyed kole tang and a hippo tang. The ones available are a 3 in hippo and a 6 in kole. Will they be ok in QT together being such different sizes. QT is 55gal. Also would like a trio but not sure which would round out my tang gang. LOL. Like the Caribbean blue tang or maybe a powder brown? Would love a trio of yellows but lost a yellow in QT this round and afraid I missed the chance. What is your opinion on next tang or should I just go with an angel or butterfly this round?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily I have a 240gal DT. Have 2 clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 diamond goby, 1 royal gramma, 1redline wrasse, 1redheaded wrasse and 1 foxface in now. I have 1 Naso tang, 1 yellow tang and a sailfin tang being added tomorrow from QT. All are small except foxface. Still trying to decide what would work for next group of fish. We know we want yellow eyed kole tang and a hippo tang. The ones available are a 3 in hippo and a 6 in kole. Will they be ok in QT together being such different sizes. QT is 55gal. Also would like a trio but not sure which would round out my tang gang. LOL. Like the Caribbean blue tang or maybe a powder brown? Would love a trio of yellows but lost a yellow in QT this round and afraid I missed the chance. What is your opinion on next tang or should I just go with an angel or butterfly this round?
Next tang could be just about anything, it’s a good time for an acanthurus addition. Hippo tangs are generally left alone by other tangs for some reason. Kole are typically aggressive, I wouldn’t generally want them as the largest in the tank but temperaments do vary!

Butterflies are often good added with tangs, and I usually do angels together.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a cure that has worked everytime !!!

1575731675247.png

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next tang could be just about anything, it’s a good time for an acanthurus addition. Hippo tangs are generally left alone by other tangs for some reason. Kole are typically aggressive, I wouldn’t generally want them as the largest in the tank but temperaments do vary!

@mcbdz
That is a lot of fish for a 210 reef. Is it a FO tank?
It's a240gal 8ft×
2ft × 2ft. They are all small except fox face now and Tank looks pretty bare actually. I do realize when all are full grown it will be full. I will move any if needed but feel they will work. I am home most of the time and tank is always in site so if something doesn't work I will adjust.. How many do you think are a
Appropriate for this size?
20191204_144617.jpg

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next tang could be just about anything, it’s a good time for an acanthurus addition. Hippo tangs are generally left alone by other tangs for some reason. Kole are typically aggressive, I wouldn’t generally want them as the largest in the tank butacantemperaments do vary!

With the

With an acanthus are they mostly just suppose to be the last tang or last fish of all?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's a240gal 8ft×
2ft × 2ft. They are all small except fox face now and Tank looks pretty bare actually. I do realize when all are full grown it will be full. I will move any if needed but feel they will work. I am home most of the time and tank is always in site so if something doesn't work I will adjust.. How many do you think are a
Appropriate for this size?
20191204_144617.jpg
Love the whitewash effect of the wood

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dilemma, I’ve got a 3” gem tang I need to add to the main tank.
I currently have 11 yellow ones 1 powder blue, purple, 2 Tomini tangs, sailfin tang, convict, scopes and 2 blue hippo tangs

I also want to add naso, achielies, unicorn tang and 2 copperband butterfly fishes.

I wonder if it’s best I get them all together and put all at once in the main system?
Most dominant fish is powder blue right now, about 6”.
Thinking about getting much bigger achilies and hope for the best.
Any one has experience with adding So many tangs together ?

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dilemma, I’ve got a 3” gem tang I need to add to the main tank.
I currently have 11 yellow ones 1 powder blue, purple, 2 Tomini tangs, sailfin tang, convict, scopes and 2 blue hippo tangs

I also want to add naso, achielies, unicorn tang and 2 copperband butterfly fishes.

I wonder if it’s best I get them all together and put all at once in the main system?
Most dominant fish is powder blue right now, about 6”.
Thinking about getting much bigger achilies and hope for the best.
Any one has experience with adding So many tangs together ?
How big is your tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.3%
Back