Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Planning my livestock for my RSRxxl750 so ~ 170gal.

All my fish will be added in groups of at least 3 and I’m stocking fairly heavy. The last fishes I want to add are the following:

Purple Tang
Powder Black Tang
Yellow Tang
Twinspot Bristletooth Tang

These will be the most aggressive fishes in my tank, they will be added last and they will be added together. There will be plenty of smaller fishes in the tank already with the only other larger fish being a Harlequin Tuskfish already in the tank. I have access to plenty of fresh algae I can clip to various locations in the tank.

Any advice?
@4FordFamily

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Planning my livestock for my RSRxxl750 so ~ 170gal.

All my fish will be added in groups of at least 3 and I’m stocking fairly heavy. The last fishes I want to add are the following:

Purple Tang
Powder Black Tang
Yellow Tang

These will be the most aggressive fishes in my tank, they will be added last and they will be added together. There will be plenty of smaller fishes in the tank already with the only other larger fish being a Harlequin Tuskfish already in the tank. I have access to plenty of fresh algae I can clip to various locations in the tank.

Any advice?
@4FordFamily
Sounds like it could work, I would add them last and together (the tangs). Make sure you have strong nutrient export and stay up on water changes :)

The powder blue and goldrim may not get along, as you know— but adding all together increases your odds. The powder blue should be the smaller fish of the group. 3-3.5 inches is a good, hardy/small size for PBT.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it could work, I would add them last and together (the tangs). Make sure you have strong nutrient export and stay up on water changes :)

The powder blue and goldrim may not get along, as you know— but adding all together increases your odds. The powder blue should be the smaller fish of the group. 3-3.5 inches is a good, hardy/small size for PBT.
Hi, thanks for your time! I think you have misread my Tang list though..

Purple Tang
Powder Black/Gold Rim Tang
Yellow Tang

I’m not sure where you got the idea that I want a Powder Blue because it’s not on my list lol (too risky for my liking!) but I understand you have answered like a thousand posts in this thread so understandable.

Cheers

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for your time! I think you have misread my Tang list though..

Purple Tang
Powder Black/Gold Rim Tang
Yellow Tang

I’m not sure where you got the idea that I want a Powder Blue because it’s not on my list lol (too risky for my liking!) but I understand you have answered like a thousand posts in this thread so understandable.

Cheers
LOL sorry! That’s what I get for reading quickly with my phone. The purple and yellow may not tolerate each other but if you buy a purple smaller than the yellow your odds are better, and the rest is all true. Sorry again, not sure how I missed that!

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL sorry! That’s what I get for reading quickly with my phone. The purple and yellow may not tolerate each other but if you buy a purple smaller than the yellow your odds are better, and the rest is all true. Sorry again, not sure how I missed that!
Haha all good! I will definitely source a smaller PT :)
Thanks for your input and advice

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I have 2 yellows and a purple - they do fine - I think you're right -its all about when they are added.... My 2 yellows - who swim in a pair - do not fuss with the purple (about 4.5 +inches) or each other (3.5+ inches)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 yellows and a purple - they do fine - I think you're right -its all about when they are added.... My 2 yellows - who swim in a pair - do not fuss with the purple (about 4.5 +inches) or each other (3.5+ inches)
Sometimes they will turn on each other eventually but typically if added together you’re good to go :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any suggestions as to why sometimes they might eventually turn on each other?
Sexual maturity, social dynamic changes (“alpha” position change), change in the availability of food, and simply opportunity. Any weakness will be exploited. For a fish, a weak fish should be badgered because it’ll be the target of reef predators (not you).

gotwins86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Tang
Purple Tang
Mimic Tang
Maybe powder blue or white tail if I add a 4th
Foxface

Will this be ok?

Also better footprint 72x30x24 or 84x24x24

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Tang
Purple Tang
Mimic Tang
Maybe powder blue or white tail if I add a 4th
Foxface

Will this be ok?

Also better footprint 72x30x24 or 84x24x24
Should work, although of course as you know no guarantees with tangs ;)

gotwins86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What do you think is a better footprint for tangs? 72x30x24 or 84x24x24

Due to location of tank, it is close to the start of a hallway. So can do one or the other without blocking hallway too much.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve managed to form a pair of purple tangs in a 525. I had a contingency plan, and I wouldn’t recommend bc I believe it was a combination of luck and procedure, but by god, it worked... If anyone’s interested I can explain the procedure that worked for me and the stages. There were times when it seemed certain it wouldn’t work. And yes, I know it could blow up tomorrow, but two years in, and they appear more bonded and spats that were occasional even six months ago appear to have disappeared.

268d5a1c3ee39c5dd4ec3751524e2b32.jpg
3b2a4249f2643a680a232800bba0c3c5.jpg
802b8bc62914ba4057365d02f156ca68.jpg

df084fc8ba219d28577f04bc9b420089.jpg

Hard to get photos of, never stop cruising.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What do you think is a better footprint for tangs? 72x30x24 or 84x24x24

Due to location of tank, it is close to the start of a hallway. So can do one or the other without blocking hallway too much.

84 inches is better for tangs for certain!

I’ve managed to form a pair of purple tangs in a 525. I had a contingency plan, and I wouldn’t recommend bc I believe it was a combination of luck and procedure, but by god, it worked... If anyone’s interested I can explain the procedure that worked for me and the stages. There were times when it seemed certain it wouldn’t work. And yes, I know it could blow up tomorrow, but two years in, and they appear more bonded and spats that were occasional even six months ago appear to have disappeared.

268d5a1c3ee39c5dd4ec3751524e2b32.jpg
3b2a4249f2643a680a232800bba0c3c5.jpg
802b8bc62914ba4057365d02f156ca68.jpg

df084fc8ba219d28577f04bc9b420089.jpg

Hard to get photos of, never stop cruising.

Beautiful! Good work!

Chuckc mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have a 180 gallon tank with a tommini tang I would like to add a few more tangs. I have a 40 gallon qt tank running now . The fish I would like are a purple , powder brown and Desardini and am open to other fish suggestions. Will I be able to qt the new fish together in the 40 I could also set up a 20 long if need be .

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I have a 180 gallon tank with a tommini tang I would like to add a few more tangs. I have a 40 gallon qt tank running now . The fish I would like are a purple , powder brown and Desardini and am open to other fish suggestions. Will I be able to qt the new fish together in the 40 I could also set up a 20 long if need be .
When added together to the QT at the same time there is generally no fighting issues. For instance I just put 5 Yellow Tangs and a Desjardini Sailfin in a 30g QT together, all seems peaceful thus far.

Last edited:

Chuckc mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for your reply what size display r those going in any other types of tangs in there

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for your reply what size display r those going in any other types of tangs in there
450g display. Right now just a purple tang in there that will be their play mate. I expect some fighting at first, but in my experience they stop within 2 days.

i will be adding many more tangs over time, haven't set exactly which types yet.

Chuckc mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a bid tank I think I'll take your advice a try 3 tangs in qt do you think they should be different sizes also considering I have a tommini tang already will that rule out a kole tang

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back