Tang cleaning lawnmower?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a strange one I haven't seen.

I added a medium lawnmower to an establish tank full of other swimming things including yellow tang. The LM was suppose to be a medium when ordered from LA, but turned out more like a monster large one. It's been in the tank just settling in for 3 days just perching on a rock observing. Today it decided to come out and start exploring and...eating (was worried for awhile). Here's the funny thing. Remember it's a monster size. fat. Tang comes up...and pecks at the LM. LM just lays there.. not bothered by it. Almost like you would see a cleaning shrimp clean a fish. Both fish are about the same size so I wouldn't say the tang was beating up on it. The odd part is the LM doesn't seem to be bother by it.. almost like..whatever.. do your thing. I don't care. lol

Funny sight, but wondering if that'll turn into aggression. Anyone else observe this?

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t move afraid to disturb that scene. Lol. Will try and capture it next time.

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawn mowers use their skin color and rough appearance to blend and camouflage into rock... I think the lawn mower is freezing in place thinking his camouflage is is main defense. I would think if your tang was hurting him in any way he would dart out of there... JMO....

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so too. Would have taken off if it was hurting. Didn’t seem to be bothered by it and kind of just played dead. Maybe tang saw the black marks and thought it was algae on sandbed. But yes LM just laid there for awhile and didn’t move.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back