Tang combination

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best combination of tangs for a 5 foot 120 Gallon? I definitely want a Kole & a purple. I would also like a yellow and a convict or a Tomini. Is 4 tangs too many for that size of a tank? I know I can keep the Purple & Kole but would adding 1 or 2 more be okay? They would be the only large fish in the tank. If I could have 3/4 which would you recommend to accompany my purple & kole? :) Thanks & Tang Police - Please go easy hahah i’m asking so i get it right

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 tangs is probably too many for that size tank, unless you have lots of rockwork for them to hide. Adding them as close to the same time as possible would probably give you the best chance of controlling any aggression.

I would choose the yellow tang as the third if you are adding 3. They are one of the “iconic” reef fish in my opinion, and are one of the few that non-reef people seem to notice every time they see my tank.

I have a Caribbean blue tang and a yellow tang in my 180, and they are best friends.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 tangs is probably too many for that size tank, unless you have lots of rockwork for them to hide. Adding them as close to the same time as possible would probably give you the best chance of controlling any aggression.

I would choose the yellow tang as the third if you are adding 3. They are one of the “iconic” reef fish in my opinion, and are one of the few that non-reef people seem to notice every time they see my tank.

I have a Caribbean blue tang and a yellow tang in my 180, and they are best friends.

Good luck!
Thanks! Do you know if a Tomini & a Kole would be okay together as they’re from the same group? If added at the same time & the same size?

Auflyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Do you know if a Tomini & a Kole would be okay together as they’re from the same group? If added at the same time & the same size?
They will not do well together. I’d recommend one or the other for sure. I have owned both and I will say my Kole tang was by far my favorite I lost him unfortunately to velvet :/. The tomini was great however he was a bully as he got bigger. If I had the chance to chose again i would have gotten another Kole tang. Good luck though! In the end it’s your tank and I think their are always exceptions to the rules/ individual fish just be prepared if things get too out of hand :)

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a kole and Tomini together but size wise the tomini was bigger and became a bully. But they were also added in at separate times. Adding tangs together at the same time helps.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the 120XH (assume that's what the tank is?) is probably OK as long as you don't overstuff it with rock. Fish need a place to sleep, but they also need space to swim. None of the ones you propose are major swimmers. Yellow and purple will tolerate each other, at best. Kole may not accept the tomini. Convict is one of the trickier tangs. Always makes me chuckle when people say their tangs are friends. I've had a few dozen over 35 years in the hobby, and none of them were friends LOL. Wary tolerance at best .....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agreeing with ca1ore, they should work. My tomini who ive had at least 2 years is the nicest model citizen I have. All you mentioned dont get overly large like a sailfin, vlamingi, etc.
Stock in order of temperament: Tomini, convict, kole then purple

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the 120XH (assume that's what the tank is?) is probably OK as long as you don't overstuff it with rock. Fish need a place to sleep, but they also need space to swim. None of the ones you propose are major swimmers. Yellow and purple will tolerate each other, at best. Kole may not accept the tomini. Convict is one of the trickier tangs. Always makes me chuckle when people say their tangs are friends. I've had a few dozen over 35 years in the hobby, and none of them were friends LOL. Wary tolerance at best .....
Do you reckon I would be better going for a purple, a yellow, a kole & some sort of acanthurus instead of the tomini? :)

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellows, a scopas, a clown, a tomini, a kole and a foxface in a 125. They can be a little nippy times, but since there are so many and I feed heavily, no one is worse for the wear. As you would expect the tomini sometimes goes after the kole, and the clown will go after the yellows and the foxface. The yellows sometimes chase the scopas. I also have a flame angel that will mix it up with the tomini from time to time.
IMG_2577.gif

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellows, a scopas, a clown, a tomini, a kole and a foxface in a 125. They can be a little nippy times, but since there are so many and I feed heavily, no one is worse for the wear. As you would expect the tomini sometimes goes after the kole, and the clown will go after the yellows and the foxface. The yellows sometimes chase the scopas. I also have a flame angel that will mix it up with the tomini from time to time.
IMG_2577.gif
stunning!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you reckon I would be better going for a purple, a yellow, a kole & some sort of acanthurus instead of the tomini? :)

The convict is acanthurus genus, and one of the few I’d say would fit in a 5’ tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.2%
Back