Tang compatability

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought zebra tanks like yellows were aggressive. I just read ij multiple places that they are peaceful but live aquaria says semi aggressive.

Are they peaceful with non tangs? I just plan on having little peaceful fish. Right now its just a firefish. Planning on a possom wrasse, assessor basslet, and a mandarin. I want everything to be out and not afraid. I cant get a yellow tang right? I know theyre banned, im just asking if its compatible.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs can get funky sometimes and that varies among species. There is even a sorta aggressiveness level amongst species. You will notice the label “semi aggressive” is pretty darn typical for reef species as should be expected.
There are threads on stocking order for tangs...I’m gonna say yellows are in the middle
your stocking list looks fine, I say add that tang...biota has some I thought

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established yellow tang and when adding my new marginalis butterfly it was definitely aggressive for the first 12 hours. Over night it calmed down and has grown used to the new butterfly who himself does not care about the tang at all. Every fish is different, but I would say that yellow tangs overall are on the more aggressive side. There are some tricks to get it to shift focus off new fish, like mirrors etc. Settled in the tank my tang tolerates new additions but when just adding them it can be kind of nerve racking

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought zebra tanks like yellows were aggressive. I just read ij multiple places that they are peaceful but live aquaria says semi aggressive.

Are they peaceful with non tangs? I just plan on having little peaceful fish. Right now its just a firefish. Planning on a possom wrasse, assessor basslet, and a mandarin. I want everything to be out and not afraid. I cant get a yellow tang right? I know theyre banned, im just asking if its compatible.
Yellow tang won't notice the fishes you listed. It will be aggressive towards other laterally compressed fishes, especially tangs but also butterflies and certain angels and rabbits.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back