Tang eating corals?

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I got a vlamingi tang from LFS 4 days ago . He started to pick on a wellsophyllia from day one . Then fox face joined him . They finished whole wellso in two days . My tank maintenance guy said the coral must be weak . Usually tangs attack only weak or dying corals . LFS owner said he never heard tang eating corals . Anyway . I took the left over skeleton out yesterday. Guess what , today I saw him started to picking another wellsophyllia . Also most acanthophylia started to shrinking up too . I have those for a long time . yesterday the wellso being attacked today opened up huge . But today it’s all shrinked up . this vlamingi tang just keep picking on it . So far no flesh damage yet . Not sure tomorrow if he keeps picking .

anyone of you seen tang behave like this before ? Please advise . I can’t lose all meat / brain corals because of him.
F9A9535D-6E18-4941-91CC-47EDB73E4DD7.jpeg

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy of mine witnessed his regal blue take a bite out of a raja rampage chalice. Although uncommon, it’s not unheard of.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Gem and Achilles loves to snack on any soft corals once in a while. I hate them when they are doing that but have no plans of taking them out because they are my favorites.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My Gem and Achilles loves to snack on any soft corals once in a while. I hate them when they are doing that but have no plans of taking them out because they are my favorites.
Do u think if I feed them more could prevent they picking on others ? I think they developed the taste of them . They might keep going

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have never seen that before, that's unfortunate. It probably won't stop, better get him out of there.
Let me wait another day . It’s a beautiful fish . I had fox face for a long time . He never picked on corals before . I think once this vlamingi damaged flesh of coral . He joined the team really quickly .

for this 2nd wellso , only vlamingi is picking on it

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Tangs can go rogue, and no, they don’t only pick at dying corals.

I’ve had a Hippo Tang go after a Cynarina and a Trachy Brain. Both very fat and healthy. I had a Purple Tang go after one of my prized Acanthophyllia.

There’s no retraining a rogue tang. You just need to decide which you value more, the tang or the corals.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang gang (yellow, purple, sailfin, blue, etc) and foxface bulldozed a whole zoas garden last weekend! I needed more room for SPS corals so that was free labor - lol.

I believe since I ran out of nori, they needed to munch on something! My thought is to keep them well fed and won’t touch your corals.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a vlamingi tang from LFS 4 days ago . He started to pick on a wellsophyllia from day one . Then fox face joined him . They finished whole wellso in two days . My tank maintenance guy said the coral must be weak . Usually tangs attack only weak or dying corals . LFS owner said he never heard tang eating corals . Anyway . I took the left over skeleton out yesterday. Guess what , today I saw him started to picking another wellsophyllia . Also most acanthophylia started to shrinking up too . I have those for a long time . yesterday the wellso being attacked today opened up huge . But today it’s all shrinked up . this vlamingi tang just keep picking on it . So far no flesh damage yet . Not sure tomorrow if he keeps picking .

anyone of you seen tang behave like this before ? Please advise . I can’t lose all meat / brain corals because of him.
F9A9535D-6E18-4941-91CC-47EDB73E4DD7.jpeg

Unless the fish ate that entire coral it looks like it's close to dead with very little flesh left on the skeleton.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue hippo that liked to munch on my green slimer when I forgot to feed algae for a few days. Havent seen this happen with my fleshy corals though.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u think if I feed them more could prevent they picking on others ? I think they developed the taste of them . They might keep going
I am not sure about feeding them more because they have veggie clips and feed 3 times a day with pellets and one frozen. My Achilles used to pick on my Pink Nepthea before moving to Blue Kenya.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Unless the fish ate that entire coral it looks like it's close to dead with very little flesh left on the skeleton.
That photo I took on Friday . On Tuesday that wellso was completely open and beautiful. I was surprised they ate it that fast . When I took it out yesterday. No more flesh , only skeleton. They took chunks of flesh out when they bite .

one thing Bakbay might be right . I am concerned about po4 level . I didn’t feed them much nori . It’s 3 cubes of mysis everyday for entire tank . I took 4 tangs back on Wednesday. I guess that’s not enough for everyone

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I am not sure about feeding them more because they have veggie clips and feed 3 times a day with pellets and one frozen. My Achilles used to pick on my Pink Nepthea before moving to Blue Kenya.
I thought Achilles is more aggressive than vlamingi . This one is very friendly with other fish. Just very focus on meaty corals

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yes. Tangs can go rogue, and no, they don’t only pick at dying corals.

I’ve had a Hippo Tang go after a Cynarina and a Trachy Brain. Both very fat and healthy. I had a Purple Tang go after one of my prized Acanthophyllia.

There’s no retraining a rogue tang. You just need to decide which you value more, the tang or the corals.
Did u get rid of the Hippo tang ?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Hippo picks on acans, Zoa’s and favias. I get the sense that it’s not because of hunger or a taste for them but more out of boredom. Gives him something to do.
I’ve moved my acans under my hammers so he can’t get to them and moved the favias a bit higher up in the tank since he tends to stay toward the bottom. This has helped. My hippo has all kinds of crazy antics which makes us laugh so I can’t get rid of him. I also add nori and romaine which gives him other stuff to pick on.

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Same here. Hippo picks on acans, Zoa’s and favias. I get the sense that it’s not because of hunger or a taste for them but more out of boredom. Gives him something to do.
I’ve moved my acans under my hammers so he can’t get to them and moved the favias a bit higher up in the tank since he tends to stay toward the bottom. This has helped. My hippo has all kinds of crazy antics which makes us laugh so I can’t get rid of him. I also add nori and romaine which gives him other stuff to pick on.
I wish I can move those meat/ brain corals . When they expand . Almost dinner plate size , covered 50% of sand bed of the tank . No place to move them

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori. Twice a day. Will stop that. Tangs normal diet isnt corals but there is algae in their flesh. If they are not getting enough algae or seaweed they will find it somewhere.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back