Tang family

raphgiroux

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2021
Messages
21
Reaction score
5
Location
Québec
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, no need for Tang police here, I understand about having a lot of tangs together. But I have a Tomini and a yellow tang that are besties, I'd like to add a third one but I don't know which would be as pacific....

Can you help me sort the 4 families of tangs and give me your favorite choices?
I got a 90g and a 15g filled sump.
20210427_150536.jpg
 
Can you help me sort the 4 families of tangs and give me your favorite choices?
I got a 90g and a 15g filled sump.
All tangs are in the same family, Acanthuridae. Within the family, there are six genera (plural for genus):

Acanthurus - big catch-all group with powders, achilles, convict, and others
Ctenochaetus - bristletooth genus with tomini, kole, and close cousins
Naso - huge, but gentle giants
Paracanthurus - just the one, regal/pacific blue/hippo/pallette/Dory or whatever you want to call it
Prionurus - sawtails. Really large tangs that we don't see in the hobby except for sometimes P. laticlavius
Zebrasoma - Popular group with the 2 big sailfins, yellow, purple, black, gem, scopas

But I have a Tomini and a yellow tang that are besties, I'd like to add a third one but I don't know which would be as pacific....
For a 90 gallon, that will be tough. The 2 you chose may be the best 2 you could have picked for a duo. The smallest tangs, and best ones for a 90 would be the Ctenochaetus, like your Tomini. The smaller Zebrasoma (not the 2 sailfins) would be the next *best choice. The other groups get pretty darn big for a 90.

Personally I wouldn't rock the boat with more tangs. If you want another bigger, similar fish, a foxface would actually be a better option than another tang. With their dorsal spines, tangs tend to leave them alone, generally, in my experience.

Hope that helps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new