Tang has bumps or pimples

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I currently have a lieutenant tang and he recently acquired this bumps or pimples on his upper and lower buddy. I just finished 1 month of copper using coper power. He is eating a lot. I feed him frozen mysis and some pellets. I did use general cure as well while using copper power. My nitrate is below 0.02 and everything else in my qt seems to check out.

Any help would be very appreciated. thanks!

CF699A5B-7BAB-49B6-B967-CC15F4CAEE95.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I currently have a lieutenant tang and he recently acquired this bumps or pimples on his upper and lower buddy. I just finished 1 month of copper using coper power. He is eating a lot. I feed him frozen mysis and some pellets. I did use general cure as well while using copper power. My nitrate is below 0.02 and everything else in my qt seems to check out.

As mentioned, the tang is really emaciated. I don't know what the smaller lumps are, but the larger one is likely the fish's air bladder showing through the thin body wall.

If it is "eating a lot" and you have been feeding it to satiation twice a day, then it has some food malabsorption problem. It could be internal parasites, or some damage to its digestive system. However, if it was eating to fullness, I would expect to see the food in its belly, and in the picture, the belly is really thin.

I would try feeding it to satiation 3 times a day to see if this can be reversed. The trouble is - when fish get this thin, they begin using their liver for energy. That damage cannot be repaired.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that fish is a herbivore. Mysis is not it's natural diet.

No - but the protein and fat would put weight on much faster than nori would.

Jay

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, the tang is really emaciated. I don't know what the smaller lumps are, but the larger one is likely the fish's air bladder showing through the thin body wall.

If it is "eating a lot" and you have been feeding it to satiation twice a day, then it has some food malabsorption problem. It could be internal parasites, or some damage to its digestive system. However, if it was eating to fullness, I would expect to see the food in its belly, and in the picture, the belly is really thin.

I would try feeding it to satiation 3 times a day to see if this can be reversed. The trouble is - when fish get this thin, they begin using their liver for energy. That damage cannot be repaired.

Jay
I roughly feed him 10-20 pellets a day give or take, and he devours it in a few seconds. I saw a post here in r2r that was talking about not feeding a lot especially on qt because u do not want to spike the nitrates up?

I am currently spoiling him now with mysis and pellet foods haha

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I roughly feed him 10-20 pellets a day give or take, and he devours it in a few seconds. I saw a post here in r2r that was talking about not feeding a lot especially on qt because u do not want to spike the nitrates up?

I am currently spoiling him now with mysis and pellet foods haha
Nitrates aren’t the issue, but grossly over feeding a tank that doesn’t have a good biofilter will cause high ammonia, and that can be deadly.
Trouble is, under feeding is also fatal.
Monitor your ammonia and keep it below 0.25 ppm, then feed the fish to full multiple times a day. Young fish can’t really over eat. You don’t want uneaten food left in the tank though.
Jay

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates aren’t the issue, but grossly over feeding a tank that doesn’t have a good biofilter will cause high ammonia, and that can be deadly.
Trouble is, under feeding is also fatal.
Monitor your ammonia and keep it below 0.25 ppm, then feed the fish to full multiple times a day. Young fish can’t really over eat. You don’t want uneaten food left in the tank though.
Jay

Hello by any chance do you know what these little bumps on the upper body of this tang is? Im getting worried this has been on for a while now @vetteguy53081 @Humblefish

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to get the tang to fatten up. These lumps are showing because the fish is very thin. Large lump is air bladder, small lumps could be internal parasites.

OP
OP
P

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get the tang to fatten up. These lumps are showing because the fish is very thin. Large lump is air bladder, small lumps could be internal parasites.
I have dosed general cure twice every 48 hrs should i do it again? This was a week ago the last time i did it

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im going to agree with @Jay Hemdal on Ammonia. Its not that the presence of ammonia is the cause but rather it is causing stress , hence the presence of bumps which represents heat rash on a human. In part, lack of diet is a factor and although a herbivore, they do require a meat/veggie diet. Garlic extract is a great booster for immune system when added to the foods.
Feed:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health and DO monitor ammonia levels as suggested. If youre using API test kit, you are likely getting false readings

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back