Tang has glue in mouth. How to remove.

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just gluing coral to rock and a small piece came off and gem tang tried to eat and now has mouth glued shut or partially shut. What can I do? This is very distressing .

20230504_085950.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not much you can do, can it open it's mouth at all ? should fall off within 24 hrs

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish still able to breath o.k.?

We've seen this happen a few times here, and as long as the fish can breath, the glue lets go after some time, like within a day or so.

If it is not able to breath properly, that is an acute issue that might require you to try and remove it, but of course, that's a lot rickier because you can damage the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
P

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried placing some nori. She went for it but is not able to open her mouth. Could it actually be in her mouth and will that come out/off? It looks like she thought the glue bubble was food and chomped down on it. She seems to be breathing ok and is swimming well.

Attachments

• 20230504_glued_mouth3.jpg
    20230504_glued_mouth3.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230504_glued_mouth2.jpg
    20230504_glued_mouth2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 57

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried placing some nori. She went for it but is not able to open her mouth. Could it actually be in her mouth and will that come out/off? It looks like she thought the glue bubble was food and chomped down on it. She seems to be breathing ok and is swimming well.

That is a big chunk of glue, but it should fall off. Chasing it around to catch it and then grabbing it and pulling it off could be damaging, so I'd wait for a day to see if it falls off on its own. Not eating for a day or two is fine.

Jay

OP
OP
P

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is quite agitated but still seems to be breathing and swimming well. I will wait for a least a day before doing anything else. If the breathing becomes laboured or other issues arise I will remove her from the DT (that may be fun) and try to take off as much of the glue as I can. I do not want to damage her mouth. Any specific instructions for removing the glue and what to do afterwards. I am getting the QT tank set up just in case. I really hope she makes it through and the glue just comes off with time.

As always, many thanks for your quick and helpful responses.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the fish still able to breath o.k.?

We've seen this happen a few times here, and as long as the fish can breath, the glue lets go after some time, like within a day or so.

If it is not able to breath properly, that is an acute issue that might require you to try and remove it, but of course, that's a lot rickier because you can damage the fish.

Jay
This has happened before? Wow! Would not have expected this. Hopefully you are able to remove it or it falls off quickly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In late January, I just had acquaintance with bird wrasse do the same and 4 days later it dislodged. Its similar to us getting superglue on out fingers- after a couple of days it will release from our skin.
As mentioned - key is the fish's ability to breathe and take in water. I always use GEL super glue only if superglue otherwise my go to is- Coral Putty such as Holdfast.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was just gluing coral to rock and a small piece came off and gem tang tried to eat and now has mouth glued shut or partially shut. What can I do? This is very distressing .

20230504_085950.jpg
It will normally fall off in a day or two - as long as its breathing ok - I wouldn't do anything

OP
OP
P

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update. She has been rubbing her snout against the rock, The main exterior blob of glue has fallen off. The glue remains in her mouth and is preventing her from opening it to eat. She is still breathing well and swimming around.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has happened before? Wow! Would not have expected this. Hopefully you are able to remove it or it falls off quickly.
Yes - it often happens when gluing frags - the fish thinks the new 'white stuff' is food

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A quick update. She has been rubbing her snout against the rock, The main exterior blob of glue has fallen off. The glue remains in her mouth and is preventing her from opening it to eat. She is still breathing well and swimming around.
I would watch. There is not much to do. I suppose you could catch the fish and try to remove the glue with tweezers, etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is the step they take to dislodge it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 92 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 96 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.6%
Back