Tang Help Please

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, basically starting over with my 4ft 120g tank. I'd like at least one of the smaller bristletooth tangs. For sure the white tail and maybe one other. Am I looking for trouble with two bristletooths? If I add at the same time would that be ok? If not two bristletooths then what other smaller tang? Also, should I wait and add the tangs after adding other fish? Any issues with Tangs being first? Thanks for your help.

katiestl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been told that you don’t want two of the same type of tangs together even if they’re the same size. I would do one bristletooth and another type. I had one bristle tooth and one YT and even then the YT asserted dominance over the BT. But my bristletooth and my smaller hippo tang got along great. Even swam together.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I've heard that too. Of course then you hear of exceptions to the rule. I had a convict with my yellow and they got along. Price of the yellow is now over my head so wanted a couple smaller tangs. Was hoping two bristletooths could work. The blue would get a little big for my tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough one. I haven't kept a white tail, or even been around one. Tomini seems really chill, in my experience. People do report Kole sometimes as being aggressive.

I think the safest would be to mix your while tail with another genus. My current tomini and scopas have been fine so far (couple years) in my 125...6x1.5 footprint. If you could find a convict that eats at the store, that might be a good option.

Another option might be a foxface. They get left alone, in my experience, and the yellow color of the foxface would go well with the white tail.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having multiple tangs from the same genus, with some exceptions, is fine in very large tanks but problematic in smaller ones. I’ve kept tomini with Kole and chevron but never had a white tail.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I've heard that too. Of course then you hear of exceptions to the rule. I had a convict with my yellow and they got along. Price of the yellow is now over my head so wanted a couple smaller tangs. Was hoping two bristletooths could work. The blue would get a little big for my tank.

white tails are labeled as pretty darn aggressive. Scopas are actually very pretty I think. You can find all black ones or almost all yellow but even the half black and half pale yellow is pretty IMO. They have some
Interesting markings... double blueish lines and dots.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the white tail and a foxface. Hopefully no problems with the foxface munching zoas or lps.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the white tail and a foxface. Hopefully no problems with the foxface munching zoas or lps.
Great choice. In case you ever want to add another tang I have a white tail with a yellow tang in the same size tank as yours and no issues. Yellow tang was in the tank for about 10 years before the white tail was added. Not sure about going the other way around.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back