Tang help - tank upgrade coming

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
1,218
Reaction score
15
Location
Cleveland TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems there are lots of folks here with experiance with several diff types of tangs. I need some advice - here is my situation...I currently have a 75 that has been running now for alittle over 3 years. The only fish that currently live in the tank are a 3-4" gold stripe maroon clown and her small 1 1/2 inch boyfriend! They host a large green bubble tip nem. There is a large torch some zoas and rics and purple enchinata. I have had other fish but power went out while we were moving and I lost everything else. :( I recently aquired a 220 rr tank. 6'x2'x30" . I plan on using the 75 as a sump when I get it setup. I would guess it will be around a year before I will be able to set it up. I have to brace the floor, build a stand and canopy etc. At this point I am going to set up a FOWLr tank. I plan to keep my clown and bubble tip and maybe the torch. I am going to have some agressive fish but I am trying to find ones that will hopefully leave the nem alone. I know I want atleast one tang. I will probably also add a wantanabie angel, harlequin tusk, some type of trigger and some wrasses. I also want some type of "dither" fish which I haven't decided on. At this point I would like to get at least one more fish in my 75 ( maybe more!! :) ). I thought maybe a small tang for starters. I don't want a yellow tang. I was thinking either purple, powder blue or brown etc. I want a tang that will eat algae and also be agressive enough to hang with the tankmates I have mentioned. If I add the tang now will it be hard to add other fish later? Or just other tangs? I think I only want one type of tang - but at most 2. So what do ya'll think? Is my plan feasable and should I add a small tang now or wait and which type?

Thanks for any input you may have - also anyone with FLOWR experiance your input is welcome as well. Don't worry I will still have my 58 packed with coral - just want to do something diff with this big tank.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give...
 
The Purple tang I had didn't do much for eating algae, and the person I sold it to had 5 different types of macro growing and it didn't touch any of it but it could have been just that fish and I spoiled it with mysis and algae on clips.....They can be quite aggressive as well, but the one I had was real cool with the Maroon clown I had and even swam in the RBTA I had for it. It would continuously have with marks on it from the anemone but never seemed to mind as long as the clown was there......I say go for the Purple.....
 
I do think the purple's must be on of the prettiest but I also want a "working" tang. The purple is high up on my list though, just soooo pretty!!

thanks for the input.
 
The purple would do fine now and even adding other tangs, so long as they are BIGGER than the purple, or added to the new tank at the same time as the swap would be ok. The purple is VERY aggressive. I loved mine.....and going to get another.....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new