Tang in a 55 gallon?!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot believe some of the recommendations in this thread. A 55 gal tank should not have any tang. However, if you are really gunho about absolutly have to have a tang, then get one tang, aTomini of a Blue eye Kole tang.

odenwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, 55 is too small. These fish are graceful swimmers. Not enough room in a 55. I would stick to 100 or more for these fish.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a captive bred yellow tang from Biota it will be small and would likely be fine for a couple years. I have one now being quarantined in my 10 gallon macro tank and it is cute as heck. He’s gonna go in a 60 and then in a couple years Into a much larger tank.
B25E6E95-BBBC-429E-AD2F-CDECEC52E136.jpeg

Gordon Marvin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tang, yellow tang, kole tang. All would be fine in a 55. I've been keeping tangs for 15 plus years starting with a 55 and now with a 90.
That is a load of BULL! a kole eye tang maybe but the other too is a bad idea unless you want a bloated, fin eroded, stressed, aggressive fish who is going to live maybe half the life they would live in a larger aquarium.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Kole yellow eye or bristletooth tang is the only tang I would take a chance keeping in a 55 gallon, and in a 55 gallon long at that
Hopefully he did yellow as this is a 6 years old post lol . with the Hawaii ban they have skyrocketed. I went to my lfs and a 2” yellow was $149.99

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i know that there is a BIG argument about what size tank a tang can fit in. I was just curious if there was any type/species of tang that could fit in a 55 gallon tank. I have the aquascape arranged so there is lots of swimming space and all around the rock. The rock is not touching the aquarium walls at all which could allow for the tang to swim in long circles around the live rock.

Do you guys think I could house a tank in my tank? Any species of Tangs?:eek:oh:
With my experience keeping a kole tang in a 55 is he was very aggressive would kill anything else I tried to add to the tank moved him to my new 150 and he could careless about any other fish except him and my diamond goby are always at war

Familyman2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i know that there is a BIG argument about what size tank a tang can fit in. I was just curious if there was any type/species of tang that could fit in a 55 gallon tank. I have the aquascape arranged so there is lots of swimming space and all around the rock. The rock is not touching the aquarium walls at all which could allow for the tang to swim in long circles around the live rock.

Do you guys think I could house a tank in my tank? Any species of Tangs?:eek:oh:
There’s going to be different opinions on this but I feel you can if purchased as a juvenile but once they do get bigger you will eventually have to give back to the lfs or a bigger home

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I wouldn’t do any Tang in a 55 unless you absolutely know you’re able to get a larger tank.

Smaller Bristletooth IMO need at least a 4ft 75-80 gallon

Smaller Zebrasoma IMO need at least a 5ft 100 gallon

Sailfins need IMO at least an 8ft 240 gallon

Nasos need IMO at least a 10ft 300 gallon

Chevron needs IMO at least a 5ft 100 gallon

Mimic, Convict, Lavender IMO same as smaller Zebrasoma

Powder (insert color), Achilles IMO need at least a 6ft 150

Clown, Sohal same as Naso

Not sure about the others

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame fin tomini in my RS 170 which is 34 gallons or so. Full grown and no issues whatsoever.

I also have a blue tang for 3 years in my RS 260 which is about 55 gallons. Also, no issues.

No aggression, constant grazing, healthy and happy fish. Some of these "opinions" given are ridiculous.

joe_sharkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest Marine Betta, they get up to 8" but don't need a huge tank like tangs. You could also go with Tahitian Butterflyfish or a Fisher's Angelfish, but they both are reef safe "with caution". I have a MB and I love him, very peaceful and a very beautiful fish IMO.
I looooove my marine betta. I’ve got a 70 gallon but he’s just got his favorite cave and hangs out there, occasionally coming out to say hi or do a lap. Super tame intelligent and beautiful fish that would definitely be ok in a 50 gallon tank.

joe_sharkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest Marine Betta, they get up to 8" but don't need a huge tank like tangs. You could also go with Tahitian Butterflyfish or a Fisher's Angelfish, but they both are reef safe "with caution". I have a MB and I love him, very peaceful and a very beautiful fish IMO.
I looooove my marine betta. I’ve got a 70 gallon but he’s just got his favorite cave and hangs out there, occasionally coming out to say hi or do a lap. Super tame intelligent and beautiful fish that would definitely be ok in a 50 gallon tank.

Back