Tang is thin -- Parasite? What do I do?

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I have been underfeeding with it being every other day. In the past week though I have been feeding daily and I haven't seen any improvement. I am now wondering if she has a parasite? What could the problem be?
She IS eating no issues...

I ran prazipro while she was in QT for 4 weeks.

What advice do you guys have? I don't want to lose her...

tang1.jpg

tang2.jpg

tang3.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to know what you are feeding. I might recommned Mysis Shrimp, and romaine lettuce or Nori Sheets, or Algae Sheets. These should be left in the tank for the fish to graze on all day.
Don't know what corals you have, but you could let the trates climb a lil bit and phosphates come up, let the algea grow just a lil bit, she should clean that right up for you.
If we are talking about parasite, have you seen the poop?

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen any poop at all...

I am feeding nls pellets mysis in garlic and flake food. I put in nori but she doesn't touch it...

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try tying some nori to pieces of rubble and let the tang graze naturally at it's own pace. You just take a sheet of nori and wrap it around the rubble, secure with rubber band or fishing line. You can do the same with Romain lettuce.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...that's how I have been feeding it. She doesn't touch it and it ends up getting blown around the tank once the cleaner shrimp and hermit start nawing on it.

I guess I can try some romaine, but I have heard it has little to no nutritional value in it?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my fish pics, I feed Romaine, they look pretty good to me. See what you think.

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys stop it blowing around the tank after 15mins? Or does it not really matter?
I have an SPS tank so even in the corners, it still gets high flow.

TrialandError

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try getting spirulina flake food. When I got my sailfin tang it was super skinny. Fattened right up but takes more than a week.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow and bristletooth tangs were pretty skinny when I got them...I just use the 2 Little Fishes magnetic clip and attach sheets of purple seaweed to it...Took them a while, but eventually they started eating off it...Now my they eat everything...NLS pellets, PE Mysis, Formula Flakes, etc.

As long as your tang is eating, I'd say it's probably fine...just give it a little time to fatten up.

Harold2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nasal tang he eats mysis shrimp and algae 2 times per day I feed him.And still looks skinny.I have him already for 3 weeks.I got a nasal only thing he is eating is algae nori.But doesnt see hik eating misys shrimp when I feed my other fishes nor regular shrimp.And he is looking skinny.What can I feed him my tank is 125 gallon.??

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back