Tang issues

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs are itching like crazy and are starting to get blotchy. I stopped feeding nori for a couple weeks to try to encourage them to eat off of the rocks however I just started them back on it a few days ago. Can anyone tell me what my problem is? My house was also just painted a few days ago as well but the tank was taped up pretty well but it is a rimless tank so could that be the problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a pretty new tank? Tangs usually do better in mature tanks with a lot of biodiversity and stability. Might be stress from the environment.

OP
OP
B

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- it’s just hit the 7 month bacterial cycle and now that that’s gone the red cyano bloom

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are they in? Eating? Fast breathing? Any new additions? Quarantine practices?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are both scratching then it sounds like some sort of parasite with the top image also having a secondary bacterial infection setting in.

New sterile tanks with dry rock and fish and disease just doesn’t go well. It’s why Quarantine is advocated. Those that say they don’t need to QT and just plop and drop usually have mature and diverse systems.

OP
OP
B

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in a 80 gallon deep blue. They are eating well. I feed nori and mysis daily. They are breathing a little fast. I just added a cleaner goby because I thought that would fix the issue if it was ick. How do I treat that infection?

OP
OP
B

benscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the algae blenny attack him a couple times and bite him. Could this be why?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate I think the tang police might be coming out soon.

I don't own tangs but always thought they need 100g+ minimum and ideally 150g+. If I had to guess I think its the stress from too small a tank + new / young tank age.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 150 61.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 86 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.8%
Back