Tang police come for me!!! Firefin Tomini Bristletooth Tang experiences!!!

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok, here me out. I have been posting lately requesting feedback for some options from my livestock. To this point I have decided to discard the Bicolor Angel (aggressiveness and not so much reef safe) and Starry Blenny (seems to be a**holes sometimes and carpet surfing is a main one as I don't manage a lid). There are not many other options I have in mind (dispar anthias maybe) but aside from that nothing else gets my attention, as I am more of a coral guy than fish. My bio load is very low and wanted to up a bit the bio load and then voila, I came across a Tomini Tang.

So, here is my case, although is a 60gal tank is not a cube and it has a length of 32" and 20" depth. If I introduced him his only neighbors would be a pair of Picasso clownfish and a royal gramma and that's it. I won't plan to put any other fish after it and with it I will have a better bio load increase. Color wise might not be that striking but I do tang personality.

What do you think? Possible or a big No No!!!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have a lid with even clowns. They will surf on you.

No Tang police here, tanks still too small.

Depending on size, you may get a year out of a Small Tomini but that tank is not appropriate for a sub adult Tomini.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough swimming room, sorry.

How about a flameback angel instead?

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough swimming room, sorry.

How about a flameback angel instead?
Actually I had the option of a Bicolor angel, but seems they are a bit aggressive and is reef caution. I would think that flameback should have a similar behavior, right? Or is there something different between the two?

Morphinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang in a 75g (36x24). He is super happy, fat, not aggressive and just does his thing. Eventually I plan to rehome him but I’d say try the Tomini out and rehome later if necessary.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I had the option of a Bicolor angel, but seems they are a bit aggressive and is reef caution. I would think that flameback should have a similar behavior, right? Or is there something different between the two?
Flameback, and a few others including cherub, is much smaller than most dwarf angels. As for aggression, the clowns and royal gramma can hold their own just fine. There is the slight risk to corals to consider. It will depend on what specific corals, the fish's personality, and your tolerance of picking here and there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably not ideal... but if you had to do it... a small Tomini would be the best choice of Tangs.

Keep in mind... Tangs are also aggressive, more so in small spaces.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back