Tang Suggestion for 55 gallon

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sean W.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Sean W.

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2020
Messages
248
Reaction score
321
Location
Temple City, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

My first saltwater tank is done cycling (<--- Click "build thread contributor" link) and I'm starting to get some diatom algae building up, seems like that is the perfect time to start putting an algae eating crew in...


NOW... THE QUESTION....

What tang should I get for my 55 gallon?

I need one that meets the following requirements:

- Readily available
- Affordable >$100
- As peaceful as possible... This is my first saltwater tank and I have enough on my brain without having to worry about fish fighting( Current stocking is 2 clownfish, Royale gramma dottyback, 2 firefish, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp)
- Colorful - I'm colorblind, so a fish that is as vibrant as possible goes a long way to the enjoyment of my tank
- Good algae eater - Currently experiencing some diatoms - Will also be getting tropheus snails and a lawnmower blenny to help
- I've heard that the "tang police" is a thing, I have a great relationship with my LFS and they are more than happy to take in any fish that get's too large for my tank. Not concerned with a fish that "Gets too big for a 55". I can get a juvenile and bring it in in 9-12+ months when it out grows my tank.

A yellow tang is an obvious option, but I have been told by some that they can be quite aggressive?

Thanks for any guidance!
 
Most any tang will be more aggressive in a smaller tank, especially with other species that are competing with it for food. I wouldn’t suggest it as I don’t agree with the practice of buying a fish to regime, but you should look towards bristle too the species (granted they aren’t super colorful) or a small yellow tang.
 
Hey @Sean W.

So as mentioned I would stay with either a flame tang/tomini or white tail. They are the smaller of the gang, but they are on the active side so rock work giving room for swimming would help. I know the flame tang can be somewhat shy. They are great algae eaters so that is a plus. As mentioned neither is fancy to look a t but I think the flame is classy looking.

Either would fit in, keep an eye out for aggression since the clowns are already in. Also watch the 2 fire-fish together.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new