Tang Suggestion/Ideas

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefing Community,

I am looking for some suggestion/ideas for stocking some Tangs. My tank is 84x30x24 with 2 Icecaps 4ks on the back (75%), 2 MP40s on each end (75%) and Simplicity 3200 return pump (set 50% at the moment). The tank is towards the end of the cycle, and I have my stock list together, but still a little uncertain about the Tang list. My initial thoughts are an Achilles Tang, Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, and White Tail Bristletooth Tang. All Tangs will go in last and together. I am a little skeptical about pulling the trigger on the Achilles after reading all the horror stories of them have ich and being aggressive. I know it has been said that they need very high flow. Don't know if my tank falls into that category. Anywho, I would like to see what your thoughts/suggestions are about that list or should subtract/add some. Thanks!

OP
OP
M

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, here is a pic of the tank

Attachments

• 20221204_095423.jpg
    20221204_095423.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 34

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles are neurotic and high energy fish. A 7' tank could comfortably hold a sml/med/MedLrg Achilles. But Large/XL/XXL/Show size are not going to do well in that size tank.

In an 8' tank my Achilles crossed the entire length on the tank in about a second.

I had a 2 story surge tank with a dump rate of about 22K gph out of a 2" pipe - The Achilles would sit right in front of the outlet and fight against the surge.

We just got a MedLg Achilles in our new 750g. So far it has been a very mellow fish. It doesn't do laps of the tank. But I do have Hydrowizard 63 and an Abyzz Flow Canon and when those turn on it rushes to get directly into the pump outlet and swim against the current.

As for Ich - Yep they always seem to have it. One day they are clean, the next day they are not, the next day they are covered - You never know with them - As long as they are eating and fat the ich has no effect on them other than to tick you off when someone comes over and whines that your fish has ich.

As for the other tangs you listed, you might enjoy several hippo tangs rather than just one. And if you can get yellows get 3 of them as well. Get some nice tang action to your tank.

Dave B

OP
OP
M

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What about an Achilles White Cheek Hybrid? Would they be the same requirements?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back