Tang trouble

jessjlk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just introduced tangs to my 125 gallon reef tank. I was told at the store if I introduce them all at the same time success would be likely and to do “odd” numbers So I put a Scopas, sailfin and mimic tang together…. Well of the three of them the Scopas is the only one still alive a week later ☹️
Did a little more research and have been reading that the only Tangs you can put together must be of different geniuses. I would like to add more diversity/ tangs to the tank, but I’m a little wary to not create more carnage or money loss. Any
suggestions?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I am surprised that this didn’t work. If you’re on here for a while you will hear people referred to as the Tang Police lol. I have in a 110 a powder blue, lavender, lieutenant, and kole, all have done fine.

I’m my 210 I have a sailfin, desjardini, scopus, blue hippo, Tomini, and two rabbits. And all are fine.

Your LFS was correct, but the sailfin and scopas are both zebrasomas so that could have led to the issue. Also how much rock and caves do you have. To be successful with multiple tangs, introduction at the same time, multiple caves/hiding spots/homes so each can stake it’s own territory and trying to avoid same genus.
I did the scopas and the Desjardini as they are so dissimilar in coloration that I thought I might get away with it. At the same time I ordered others so everyone could come out of the QT and be introduced at the same time. The sailfin can in much larger than the others in the 110 so i felt I had to put it in the 210 with the Desjardini, fortunately for me it worked. Sometimes it doesn’t.

If you decide to try again, I would try to remove the scopus, and reintroduce what you want at the same time. Then you have to watch them. If two were killed by the third, you should have seen the harassment. If that happens, or as a deterrent, tape a mirror to the outside of the tank and you will see the aggressor going after itself in the reflection and by distracting it, everyone may find a peaceful coexistence.

OP
OP
J

jessjlk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised that this didn’t work. If you’re on here for a while you will hear people referred to as the Tang Police lol. I have in a 110 a powder blue, lavender, lieutenant, and kole, all have done fine.

I’m my 210 I have a sailfin, desjardini, scopus, blue hippo, Tomini, and two rabbits. And all are fine.

Your LFS was correct, but the sailfin and scopas are both zebrasomas so that could have led to the issue. Also how much rock and caves do you have. To be successful with multiple tangs, introduction at the same time, multiple caves/hiding spots/homes so each can stake it’s own territory and trying to avoid same genus.
I did the scopas and the Desjardini as they are so dissimilar in coloration that I thought I might get away with it. At the same time I ordered others so everyone could come out of the QT and be introduced at the same time. The sailfin can in much larger than the others in the 110 so i felt I had to put it in the 210 with the Desjardini, fortunately for me it worked. Sometimes it doesn’t.

If you decide to try again, I would try to remove the scopus, and reintroduce what you want at the same time. Then you have to watch them. If two were killed by the third, you should have seen the harassment. If that happens, or as a deterrent, tape a mirror to the outside of the tank and you will see the aggressor going after itself in the reflection and by distracting it, everyone may find a peaceful coexistence.
Thanks for your information. I do have a lot of rock work w tons of places to hide and get away from each other. Truthfully I never saw any aggression from the Scopas (who was about 25% larger than the mimic and sailfin) towards the other two. The issue was that they wouldn’t swim around and eat, they stayed in the corners or under rock bridges and when I tried placing food directly into the areas they were at they seemed disinterested. In hindsight I wonder how healthy they were to begin as when I pulled them from the tank there appeared to be no major fin damage but they were so skinny it almost looked like they had starved..
Thanks for the mirror idea.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just introduced tangs to my 125 gallon reef tank. I was told at the store if I introduce them all at the same time success would be likely and to do “odd” numbers So I put a Scopas, sailfin and mimic tang together…. Well of the three of them the Scopas is the only one still alive a week later ☹️
Did a little more research and have been reading that the only Tangs you can put together must be of different geniuses. I would like to add more diversity/ tangs to the tank, but I’m a little wary to not create more carnage or money loss. Any
suggestions?
Decoys and mirror tricks can help, but I agree that should have worked. Surprised the scopas is the last one standing, sailfins are usually more aggressive. In my 125 Ive got a yellow, purple, and blue hippo all introduced at different times. Adding another next week as the final tang. Really only seen yellow/purple combo of the zombrosa tangs do well (your sailfin and scopas is in this group). If you are going to add others then you will need to do them together or get a bigger tang than your current one to even things out. Tangs are PITAs lol but I love them. Theres a lot of tricks people here use to get success with multiple tangs. Did you give them lots of nori on a clip? That helps mine not get angry because they usually fight because of territory or feeling threatened for food source. Mine have nori all day long and are fat and dont bother eachother at all

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
suggestions?
Different species, different colours, different sizes.
I have four. All the same time is best. Then they work the order.
IMG_1968.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different species, different colours, different sizes.
I have four. All the same time is best. Then they work the order.
IMG_1968.jpeg
Ah I love your hippo! Mine is still tiny I cant wait for him to grow they are so cute :)

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 200g, I have 2 yellow, 1 purple, and 1 tomini. Had a hippo before it started munching on zoas. I don't think aggression was the issue. Most likely they were unhealthy to begin with and you didn't QT. I don't QT either but I do place the fish in acclimation boxes to make sure they are eating and healthy for a week before releasing into display.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never found the odd numbered, at the same time, body shape thing to matter at all. Lots of places to actually get away and fully hide without being seen (no caves and arches and stuff that humans like), tons of food and room to swim is enough. I have had purple, yellow and black all getting along, multiple bristletooths, etc. Most people do not have adequate places to get away and hide, even if they think that they do which leads to initial aggression and short deaths. Many to not feed enough which leads to ongoing aggression - they need to be growing an inch or more a year.

I am about ready to add a powder brown and bahanias to a tank with 2 yellows, 2 purple, chocolate, powder blue, saw tail, convict and a few others that I am forgetting. The established fish will just go and hide. They will all be out eating later in the same day with no aggression.

Take a look at some of the tang load from o2 many fish or vetteguy and look at what they have together. Then pay attention to the rockwork and how the feed and stuff.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In hindsight I wonder how healthy they were to begin as when I pulled them from the tank there appeared to be no major fin damage but they were so skinny it almost looked like they had starved..
This was my thought too. You didn't mention aggression.

I bought a naso a few weeks ago and before I did I commented to the LFS employee, "She's a bit of a fixer upper huh?"

She did eat, timidly, so I brought her home. She died a few days later and never really ate well in quarantine.

I think you bought some "fixer upppers" too. It's a mistake we will both learn from. If I'm really craving a fish that isn't in great shape I'll put down a deposit and let the LFS fatten him up.

Don't buy sick fish, let the LFS condition them first.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What other fish do you have in your 110 with the tangs??? I love the lieutenant and lavender, not many people have them but they are awesome!

OP
OP
J

jessjlk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many algae clips/pouches do you have?

I prefer the following as it slows the eating process and prevents it from breaking off. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pouchfeeder-for-algae-and-frozen-foods-two-little-fishies.html

I try to keep 2 loaded at all times on opposite sides of the tank.

Well fed fish that know there is a lot of resources are less likely to fight over territory/resources
Thank you! I have currently 1 clip but it’s hard to keep it loaded as the sheets seem to fall apart and float away. I love the idea of those pouches, ordered 2 today!

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What other fish do you have in your 110 with the tangs??? I love the lieutenant and lavender, not many people have them but they are awesome!
4 Bangaii Cardinals, tail spot blenny, large orange spotted rabbit fish (ready to be moved to one of my 210’s, blue Gudgeon, pair of Wyoming storm clowns, pink spotted sleeper goby, 2 blue/green chromis, target Mandarin, starry blenny, couple of fire shrimp and some peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
J

jessjlk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 Bangaii Cardinals, tail spot blenny, large orange spotted rabbit fish (ready to be moved to one of my 210’s, blue Gudgeon, pair of Wyoming storm clowns, pink spotted sleeper goby, 2 blue/green chromis, target Mandarin, starry blenny, couple of fire shrimp and some peppermint shrimp.
I have two Darwin clowns, a six line wrasse, a flasher wrasse as well as 5 Chromas, a coral beauty and a Scopas tang in a 125

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Darwin clowns, a six line wrasse, a flasher wrasse as well as 5 Chromas, a coral beauty and a Scopas tang in a 125
My 125 stock if it helps:

3 tangs
Regal angel
2 eels
2 lionfish
Harlequin tusk
2 clowns
Trigger
Butterfly
Marine betta
Engineer goby
Midas blenny
2 mandarin dragonets

OP
OP
J

jessjlk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 tangs
Regal angel
2 eels
2 lionfish
Harlequin tusk
2 clowns
Trigger
Butterfly
Marine betta
Engineer goby
Midas blenny
2 mandarin dragonets
Thanks that does help, I really enjoy how active my tank is becoming but I was wondering how many more fish to add safely. I do have coral in this tank so that would limit the type I guess but not so much the number

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that does help, I really enjoy how active my tank is becoming but I was wondering how many more fish to add safely. I do have coral in this tank so that would limit the type I guess but not so much the number
I have an oversized skimmer on mine since the eels and lions are heavier on the bioload. I just keep up with water changes and stuff too. Yeah corals are hard with certain fish, I do have a lot of not reef safe fish in my tank with corals too I just keep the cheaper ones for looks like zoas and stuff

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have an oversized skimmer on mine since the eels and lions are heavier on the bioload. I just keep up with water changes and stuff too. Yeah corals are hard with certain fish, I do have a lot of not reef safe fish in my tank with corals too I just keep the cheaper ones for looks like zoas and stuff

3 tangs
Regal angel
2 eels
2 lionfish
Harlequin tusk
2 clowns
Trigger
Butterfly
Marine betta
Engineer goby
Midas blenny
2 mandarin dragonets
What types of lion fish?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back