Tang trouble...

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small Kole tang and am trying to get him to eat seaweed from a clip. I realize he's a bristletooth tang and prefers to scrape stuff off the walls/rocks but I am worried that at some point he will run out of stuff to graze on. In the meantime, I am trying to get him interested in seaweed. He's not buying. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone else in the tank that is strictly herbivorous so there is no one for him to observe and learn from. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No kidding. I've been putting fresh seaweed in the tank everyday for two weeks with no success. He just acted like it wasn't there. I was getting a little concerned. I am watching him now and as much as he wants to put lip marks all over the tank, he just can't resist the seaweed.. He keeps coming back! Such a satisfying feeling.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here at R2R just the thought of you posting about your fish misbehaving is enough to get them to smarten up;) Can't have the other koles cruisin the threads see yours being a wuss and not eating.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... so true. I have a chunk of barnacle in my tank that have zoa plugs in because I currently have no other place to put them. His favorite thing to do is try to clean the coral plugs and in the process knocks them into the sand. I'm thinking that if he would eat the seaweed maybe he'd quit doing that. So just now, he grabbed a chunk of seaweed, then swam to the barnacle and started cleaning. :/ ARGHHHH!

Brewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the tangs i have even owned took about three weeks to start muncing off the seaweed clip - they were afraid of it. Glad to see yours it eating - youncan also jist toss formula one and formula two flakes if you are worried

Brewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the tangs i have ever owned took about three weeks to start muncing off the seaweed clip - they were afraid of it. Glad to see yours it eating - youncan also jist toss formula one and formula two flakes if you are worried

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back