OP
OP
Tangchaser

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently been looking dosing nitrates and figured my system was probably getting some due to feeding and dosing foods. I was wrong.
My neighbor who I got into the hobby recently purchased a Hanna test for phosphates and another test for low end nitrates. Turns out I was undetectable on both test. So now I made up a batch of potassium nitrate solution (spectracide stump remover) and I started dosing nitrates. We will see how it goes.
20160205_131956.jpg

oscar garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on this nitrate dosing I am also having undetectable readings even with my excessive feeding so I am also considering dosing

OP
OP
Tangchaser

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on this nitrate dosing I am also having undetectable readings even with my excessive feeding so I am also considering dosing
No problem. I talked to the owner of a lfs that is acropora paradise today. He told me that his are undetectable even with heavy feeding. Looks to me like the nitrates are taken up quickly or disposed of quickly. I started dosing 5ml that should add .05ppm to tank every feeding. I might have to dose more....

Those r some nice corals
Thanks Just added another milli, red planet, and pink lemonade frag. Pics will come soon as they adjust.

OP
OP
Tangchaser

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a pump cleaning a few weeks back. With my dosers pumping magnesium at sump inlet (due to space) all my equipment has coraline all over it.
One bucket for vinigar and one bucket for water. Just 15 min had pumps like new.
20160117_130755.jpg

OP
OP
Tangchaser

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok heres the results after dosing to raise nitrates for a week.
Alternating daily 5ml of reef fuel/zoo/phyto.
Adding 5ml stump remover solution (+.01ppm per ml) 3 times a day.
Test indicate that im up to 2 ppm of nitrates today before feeding.
All corals are showing growth tips and edges. I will post a growth photo of a stag that has grown quite fast this past week or so. I will continue to post progress.
20160210_090155.jpg

OP
OP
Tangchaser

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22 day growth. Jan 19th to today Feb 10th.
20160119_112329.jpg

20160210_101617.jpg

Plug is almost fully encrusted and 3 prongs of growth up top.

Faraday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great growth.

I know you mentioned zoo/phyto but can you share with us exactly what you're using to feed?

OP
OP
Tangchaser

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great growth.

I know you mentioned zoo/phyto but can you share with us exactly what you're using to feed?
Right now I'm using brightwell phytoplankton and seachems zoo dumped into top of display tank.

Faraday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'll be picking up some of those. I heard some good things about Red Sea Reef Energy A &B so I might go with those for aminos and some other trace elements.

OP
OP
Tangchaser

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is currently being redone. I had great success till I managed to get montipora eating nudibraches. They consumed everything in my tank while I was on a job out of town. With all the die off from them they crashed my tank causing me to get dino and kill all life pretty much. I was about to sell everything and decided just to sterilize and start over. There's no way I could get half of the thousands I spent on equipment for this tank so I'm giving it another whirl. I sterilize the rock with bleach and acid. I washed tank with vinegar and let dry. I will probably add water in the next few days.

OP
OP
Tangchaser

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is currently being redone. I had great success till I managed to get montipora eating nudibraches. They consumed everything in my tank while I was on a job out of town. With all the die off from them they crashed my tank causing me to get dino and kill all life pretty much. I was about to sell everything and decided just to sterilize and start over. There's no way I could get half of the thousands I spent on equipment for this tank so I'm giving it another whirl. I sterilize the rock with bleach and acid. I washed tank with vinegar and let dry. I will probably add water in the next few days.

Ronnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with it let me know your progress.
I got started with mine. Then stop could not find a good enough pump to run, so I got a HoB filter hopefully I can get started on it within the month. I will keep u posted

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 96 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 21 9.7%
Back