Tangs and Angels compatibility

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated! Tank will be standard 24 inches (60cm) tall. :) So yeah rockwork half that will be up to 30-35cm. How are you doing??? Hope all is going well, unfortunately still stuck where I am, life’s back in China lol. Hopefully it will change soon.
Life is....well....about the tank, my solace. All is very well here....it will change. Hope is #1. Good plan on rockwork height imo. :)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know when you get an Interruptus! :) A longer tank sounds awesome too. I guess the dwarfs and the Navarchus aren’t overly active fish then?
All angels are active, but most of the dwarf angels (and the navarchus) spend a great deal of time pecking at -- and swimming through -- the rockwork. The Lamarck's angel seems to enjoy spending just as much time in the water column, getting blown around by the powerheads and being bossy. My multicolor angel is the only dwarf that (somewhat) engages in that behaviour.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There, do you any video to share of your tank? I would love to checkout your Quoyi's behavior and interaction with rest of fishes and corals. Does the Quoyi hurt any corals?

Howomg have you had the parrotfish and rest? Amit.
I don't have anything current, but if you send me a PM I can try to get something in the next few days (I'm just laid up from some dental work and not in front of the tank right now).

The quoy nibbles constantly - but leaves all the corals alone (he has upended the odd one scraping on the ceramic plug, though). In addition to the coralline algae on the rocks he eats TLF SeaVeggies, 3 different kinda of pellets and brine, calanus and mysis.

AggieLuke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There all very active

I have the yellow tang (and other tangs) with

Emperor
Blue face
Regal
Flame
Coral beauty (very grumpy!)

In my large system I have 9 yellow tangs
How did you intro your fish to the tank---all tangs at once, then all angels or one or two fish at a time, etc?

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have several tangs and a swallowtail angelfish ive never seen any of the tangs bother the angel and ive had it over about 2 years

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 320 DT, I have a Yellow, Purple, Powder Blue tangs, Foxface Lo, 2 Regal, Imperator, Bicolor and 4 Flame angels.CBB and a numbers of wrasses.
No problem. I don't add them all at once either, just one or two here and there.
I am really attach to my PBT, but I wish did not put him in there. He does not really badly hurt any other fish but the and the other two tangs tail flab each other sometime.
That is a lot of fish in my tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Siganus magnificus, Genicanthus melanospilos and a Ctenochaetus binotatus in my 4’x2’x2’ tank with about 5 wrasses and a few other fish. They get along together and yes the odd fight breaks out but it only lasts about 1 minute if not shorter and it’s just the fins up and nupitial colours on the tang. There is the odd chase but they dont occur often.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and angel mix has never been an issue for me.
To OP: what size is your system?
In my previous 180G tank I had emperor and blueface (both adult) living with several tangs (naso, purple, blue, tomini, desjardini) and they got along just fine.
In my current 550G system I have three cb yellow along with the purple, gem, blue, naso, tomini, and orange shoulder with two pygmy angels (flame and lemonpeel) and the system is more than stable to handle the bioload. And all live peacfully with each other.
I’d say your only worry in the future are:
Potential battle among tangs if you do end up getting more zebrasomas (my purple and gem fought for a week before they calmed down), and if you plan to keep corals the large angels will definitely be a potential threat, though mine left the corals alone for the most part, but there is always a chance they can chew up some lps

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at going but it looks like it’ll be slightly shorter at around 7.5ft but still happy though. Probably 92” x 28” x 24”. What about the dimensions of your setup?

I was only really looking at one Tang, but so far yeah I might end up with fewer fish and a lower bioload overall. If I do add more than 2 large fish it would be 1 more large angel but not the very big ones. It sounds like you’re doing pretty well though so kudos.

How do you find the aggression of Yellow Tangs? As for corals going to start with softies first, I’m more into fish over corals so gonna do some easy stuff with corals.

You keep some Pyramid Butterflies too do you? Any issues with them with regards to hardiness?

therock3916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All helpful. My concern is the Yellow Tang even if started small will get near its maximum size and start causing trouble. Also the fact that its use of space essentially reduces the space for the 5 angels. (2 large and 3 dwarf- pair and trio)

The most important thing is ti keep them well fed so they aren't competing for food. Underfed and they will take out each other in order to get the competition out of the way.

Back