Tangs for 100gallon

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats some cool stock there, and the feeding i usually give them a little extra but my water is fine so thats no issue. Also, quick question on tangs. Do they need seaweed because i gotta make sure i get a bunch for them. Ive never really had tangs.
You will want seaweed sheets. unroasted evidently (I'm not sure why, I think the cooking does something to jeopardize the nutrients). I go through a sheet a day, roughly and my frozen mix is heavy on the nori. Still I see them (mostly the kole) grazing on the rocks all day.

I am fully stocked now. but I will be adding an anthias when @Fish Styx gets over covid.

my nutrients are high, but not chillin with snoop dogg yet...yet.

my advise, keep em fed and give them hides.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave the fox face out as they get quite large very fast.. the rest of your list is fine now the wrasse experts sorted it out for you. lol… my one spot is about 6 inches currently and was just a mere 2-1/2 inches about 7 months ago.
Yep same!

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want seaweed sheets. unroasted evidently (I'm not sure why, I think the cooking does something to jeopardize the nutrients). I go through a sheet a day, roughly and my frozen mix is heavy on the nori. Still I see them (mostly the kole) grazing on the rocks all day.

I am fully stocked now. but I will be adding an anthias when @Fish Styx gets over covid.

my nutrients are high, but not chillin with snoop dogg yet...yet.

my advise, keep em fed and give them hides.
Alright thanks!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? That would suck because ive seen people pull it of in 90 gallons. Lots of people all over different forums say it can be done in 100-125 gallons minimum.
the criteria I heard, and use (mostly) is no fish that gets bigger than half the shortest distance in your tank. got a 12" deep tank, nothing bigger than 6 inches.

Also, my fox grew quick too.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the criteria I heard, and use (mostly) is no fish that gets bigger than half the shortest distance in your tank. got a 12" deep tank, nothing bigger than 6 inches.

Also, my fox grew quick too.
So point being i shouldnt go for it? I really want 2 compatible tangs that are good for algea control and foxface was the #1.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So point being i shouldnt go for it? I really want 2 compatible tangs that are good for algea control and foxface was the #1.
I Have 7 tangs and a fox face “rabbit fish” the 2 biggest work horses I own are a blue eyed Kole “perfect for your tank” and a half black mimmic great for your tank size also.. the rest of tangs are very large and are more worried about food then algae in my tank lol..

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
many/most of the mimics and bristletooths could work …
I have a mimic. elbi in a 65g ….arrest me lol
Car Chase Police GIF

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to rehome if he gets much larger, right now we're about 4". He took out a tank full of bubble algae his second night in the tank. maybe it took two nights, but he did work and quickly. I'm not going to say no, but you will have to keep an eye out for sure for aggression of poor health in the long term. Now the only bubble I see is protected under aiptasia. even the stuff I throw in there from my overflow doesn't make it to the sand. If the algae you want controlled is bubble, I have seen no better animal. the kole took out the hair algae like nothing. the longspine urchin takes care of the coralline (unfortunately not on the acrylic though).
as to other work horses, I have no experience.
But I also like the advice "don't trust someone till you see their tank". @Troylee's is leagues better than mine.

Sal Amadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by “banana wrasse”? If you mean a Thalassoma lutescens or any other Thalassoma that is a terrible idea. If you mean Halichoeres chrysus or Halichoeres leucoxanthus then those are great fish that would work great.

(If you are wondering what my scientific names mean copy and paste in to the liveaquaria search engine)
English, please!!

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how the Tomini would work, but my Whitetail Bristletooth does not tolerate Diamond Gobies very well. Views them as competing for food in the sand. I’ve gone through a few Diamond Gobies, which is too bad, they have a cool personality and I liked my white sand.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I’d skip the Whitetail, get a Diamond Goby and have a couple addl wrasses in its place.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how the Tomini would work, but my Whitetail Bristletooth does not tolerate Diamond Gobies very well. Views them as competing for food in the sand. I’ve gone through a few Diamond Gobies, which is too bad, they have a cool personality and I liked my white sand.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I’d skip the Whitetail, get a Diamond Goby and have a couple addl wrasses in its place.
Aww, well thats dissapointing. Do you have any experience or thoughts of it working if i instead did a kole tang?

Skfoley4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently emptied my tank as their were compatibility issues with the fish. Now, i only have a clown and hes happy with his anemone at the bottom of the tank. I have a craving to get some tangs preferably 2. I was thinking a tomini and foxface, but i also want to get some other fish maybe like a diamond goby, a lawnmower blenny, anthias, banana wrasse, and a nice cleaner shrimp. Something simple, just hardy algea eaters. My 100 gallon is a 60×18×24 with moderate to high flow. Will these fish be compatible with my tank size, flow, and any types of coral? Im terrified of fish just fighting to the death because they dont have enough room. I also have 100lbs of live rock in the form of a wall which i will remove around 60lbs into a sump for more swimming space. But for now, will this be fine?

So i recently emptied my tank as their were compatibility issues with the fish. Now, i only have a clown and hes happy with his anemone at the bottom of the tank. I have a craving to get some tangs preferably 2. I was thinking a tomini and foxface, but i also want to get some other fish maybe like a diamond goby, a lawnmower blenny, anthias, banana wrasse, and a nice cleaner shrimp. Something simple, just hardy algea eaters. My 100 gallon is a 60×18×24 with moderate to high flow. Will these fish be compatible with my tank size, flow, and any types of coral? Im terrified of fish just fighting to the death because they dont have enough room. I also have 100lbs of live rock in the form of a wall which i will remove around 60lbs into a sump for more swimming space. But for now, will this be fine?
I have had similar for around a year (I am new to reef and salt) they have all done awesome
Lemon peel angel and fire shrimp- my favs
Fox face
Melanarus wrasse
File fish
Falco hawk
Chromis
Clown fish
Yellow watchman goby
Sand sifter starfish

Skfoley4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had similar for around a year (I am new to reef and salt) they have all done awesome
Lemon peel angel and fire shrimp- my favs
Fox face
Melanarus wrasse
File fish
Falco hawk
Chromis
Clown fish
Yellow watchman goby
Sand sifter starfish
Oops...and a blue tang because we had to have Nemo and dory

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not an expert, but I have a similarly sized tank and added a Yellow Eyed Kole (approx 4” inch), and a juvilie yellow tang (1.75 - 2”inch). There was a lawnmower, 2 clowns a gramma in first.

Tangs are very peaceful. Kole hides about half the day in a cave, and hunts for food the other half. The Yellow tang hangs with the clowns most of the day and hunts for food. The tangs were raised on shrimp, and are still adapting to Nori.

The Lawnmower keeps close tabs on both.

I do plan on adding a foxface, wrasse and some other fish soon. While the tangs are great now, their disposition could shift once we add some more fish.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not an expert, but I have a similarly sized tank and added a Yellow Eyed Kole (approx 4” inch), and a juvilie yellow tang (1.75 - 2”inch). There was a lawnmower, 2 clowns a gramma in first.

Tangs are very peaceful. Kole hides about half the day in a cave, and hunts for food the other half. The Yellow tang hangs with the clowns most of the day and hunts for food. The tangs were raised on shrimp, and are still adapting to Nori.

The Lawnmower keeps close tabs on both.

I do plan on adding a foxface, wrasse and some other fish soon. While the tangs are great now, their disposition could shift once we add some more fish.
Might sound crazy im not sure of the right tank size for one but could i switch tomini for a yellow? Ive always wanted a yellow but im concerned of the tank size and with that stock i will be trying to get, it might be a bit much. Im gonna have more of an island scape with the rocks so it would have a good amount of swimming room. With your current experience do you know if there would be aggression problems or anything like that?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might sound crazy im not sure of the right tank size for one but could i switch tomini for a yellow? Ive always wanted a yellow but im concerned of the tank size and with that stock i will be trying to get, it might be a bit much. Im gonna have more of an island scape with the rocks so it would have a good amount of swimming room. With your current experience do you know if there would be aggression problems or anything like that?

0 expertise here and I have a juvinile. But the Yellow tang is super peaceful at this point. It hangs with the clowns 50% of the day, and then does its own thing the rest. For its current size it’s fine for a 4’ tank. It has doubled in size the last month, and I expect it to grow pretty fast. It explores the whole tank, but ar this point could be in a smaller tank (not recommended). The Kole is about 4x as large as it, and does need a minimum 4’ and could be larger tank.

I feed them 5x a day small meals (frozen and pellets) and will likely increase frequent as I add more.

I am more concerned as I add more fish to the tank (and it gets older), if it would become territorial - but hoping to do that when it’s still young.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back