Tangs for 100gallon

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i recently emptied my tank as their were compatibility issues with the fish. Now, i only have a clown and hes happy with his anemone at the bottom of the tank. I have a craving to get some tangs preferably 2. I was thinking a tomini and foxface, but i also want to get some other fish maybe like a diamond goby, a lawnmower blenny, anthias, banana wrasse, and a nice cleaner shrimp. Something simple, just hardy algea eaters. My 100 gallon is a 60×18×24 with moderate to high flow. Will these fish be compatible with my tank size, flow, and any types of coral? Im terrified of fish just fighting to the death because they dont have enough room. I also have 100lbs of live rock in the form of a wall which i will remove around 60lbs into a sump for more swimming space. But for now, will this be fine?
Tominis are cool and all but I am in a similar situation and chose a white tail Tang. It too is a bristletooth but it mows down algae and is beautiful. Tominis are bland. Your other option is a gem tang but being new, id wait because you are probably not going to listen to my advice and kill them all.

Whatever you get make sure you quarantine or I assure you that you will be starting over at some point. Look at the second post of my build thread to see how simple and cheap it is. It is irresponsible to not execute a QT protocol. Tangs need copperpower. I do not recommend the Hybrid TTM method for them. Wrasse will need it though so you need to execute both methods. Petco has 50% off tanks right now. 2x 10gal, 2x 20gal and 2x Tidal 55s with coppersafe, prazzi, and a Hanna copper Checker will set you back about $250... a fraction of the cost of your fish that are destined to die if you don't quarantine. Your other option is to buy quarantined fish from one of the two recommended stores on here. its cheaper to do it yourself. Your LFS will lie to you and tell you that they are already quarantined. I assure you that they are not... they use enough coppersafe in their displays to keep them alive until you take them home.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is tiny. One Tang is pushing it. You want a small tang... your options are tomini, white tail and gem. Any others will stress and go bezerk most likely killing off everything else. It happened to me with a blue hippo and he wasn't even 6" yet.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is tiny. One Tang is pushing it. You want a small tang... your options are tomini, white tail and gem. Any others will stress and go bezerk most likely killing off everything else. It happened to me with a blue hippo and he wasn't even 6" yet.
Yeah which i understand hence why im asking lots of questions and acting a little paranoid. Most people say that foxface would be fine with adequate swimming space. Since my tank is 5' long and im removing tons of rocks for an island like scape, it should have that swimming room needed. Plus apparently foxface are peaceful so i would assume its unlikely. (Im saying foxface because thats what i really wanted though its not a tang, dk if you were talking about that) Im no expert with any of these fish, but thats my knowledge from what i was told. Im going to be getting either 1 tomini, or 1 kole tang.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back