Tangs for 100gallon

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently emptied my tank as their were compatibility issues with the fish. Now, i only have a clown and hes happy with his anemone at the bottom of the tank. I have a craving to get some tangs preferably 2. I was thinking a tomini and foxface, but i also want to get some other fish maybe like a diamond goby, a lawnmower blenny, anthias, banana wrasse, and a nice cleaner shrimp. Something simple, just hardy algea eaters. My 100 gallon is a 60×18×24 with moderate to high flow. Will these fish be compatible with my tank size, flow, and any types of coral? Im terrified of fish just fighting to the death because they dont have enough room. I also have 100lbs of live rock in the form of a wall which i will remove around 60lbs into a sump for more swimming space. But for now, will this be fine?

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tomini is a good choice, they are small for tangs! What other one were you thinking? Foxfaces are peaceful and usually skitty and shy, would probably add that fish first. List looks fine to me, just keep in mind anthias are harem fish and do best with one male to multiple females! @Slocke and @i cant think would be good to ask about the wrasse. I dont have wrasses

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by “banana wrasse”? If you mean a Thalassoma lutescens or any other Thalassoma that is a terrible idea. If you mean Halichoeres chrysus or Halichoeres leucoxanthus then those are great fish that would work great.

(If you are wondering what my scientific names mean copy and paste in to the liveaquaria search engine)

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go that route and you dont have one, invest in a lid as I learned the hard way. Anthias, wrasses and diamond gobies are jumpers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i recently emptied my tank as their were compatibility issues with the fish. Now, i only have a clown and hes happy with his anemone at the bottom of the tank. I have a craving to get some tangs preferably 2. I was thinking a tomini and foxface, but i also want to get some other fish maybe like a diamond goby, a lawnmower blenny, anthias, banana wrasse, and a nice cleaner shrimp. Something simple, just hardy algea eaters. My 100 gallon is a 60×18×24 with moderate to high flow. Will these fish be compatible with my tank size, flow, and any types of coral? Im terrified of fish just fighting to the death because they dont have enough room. I also have 100lbs of live rock in the form of a wall which i will remove around 60lbs into a sump for more swimming space. But for now, will this be fine?
This is why scientifics are incredibly useful…
Thalassoma lutescens is a nasty fish
Halichoeres chrysus is a great move if you have a sand bed.

‘Banana’ Wrasse is used for 3-4 species of fish and some of the species it’s used for become terrors whilst the others get along with everything else.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similarly sized 110 gallon 5 ft wide tank. Currently I have the following: Yellow tang, white tail bristletooth tang, 2 Da Vinci clownfish, longnose Hawkfish, 2 Bimac anthias, platinum Molly, lawnmower Blenny, 4 different kind of wrasse, 3 green chromis, cleaner shrimp, and fire shrimp. I have soon add the following once they make it through my medicated quarantine: 9 green chromis, yellow clown goby, green clown goby, and candy hogfish.

I have been thinking of adding a one spot Foxface but I have seen them grow huge at my local LFS. If I added another tang (no plan currently) it would likely be a Scopas tang, tomini tang, or convict tang. I love the look of the convict but am afraid it may get too large. As a general matter I prefer the look of a lot of smaller fish swimming around (hence the army of chromis).

I would love to get a sand sifting but my substrate may be too corse.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by “banana wrasse”? If you mean a Thalassoma lutescens or any other Thalassoma that is a terrible idea. If you mean Halichoeres chrysus or Halichoeres leucoxanthus then those are great fish that would work great.

(If you are wondering what my scientific names mean copy and paste in to the liveaquaria search engine)
Yes the Halichoeres chrysus is what i meant thank you!

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why scientifics are incredibly useful…
Thalassoma lutescens is a nasty fish
Halichoeres chrysus is a great move if you have a sand bed.

‘Banana’ Wrasse is used for 3-4 species of fish and some of the species it’s used for become terrors whilst the others get along with everything else.
Yeah i was infact talking about Halichoeres chrysus, ive seen videos of their bright yellow and i just love the way they swim and how active they are. I do have a large sandbed so thats not problem.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similarly sized 110 gallon 5 ft wide tank. Currently I have the following: Yellow tang, white tail bristletooth tang, 2 Da Vinci clownfish, longnose Hawkfish, 2 Bimac anthias, platinum Molly, lawnmower Blenny, 4 different kind of wrasse, 3 green chromis, cleaner shrimp, and fire shrimp. I have soon add the following once they make it through my medicated quarantine: 9 green chromis, yellow clown goby, green clown goby, and candy hogfish.

I have been thinking of adding a one spot Foxface but I have seen them grow huge at my local LFS. If I added another tang (no plan currently) it would likely be a Scopas tang, tomini tang, or convict tang. I love the look of the convict but am afraid it may get too large. As a general matter I prefer the look of a lot of smaller fish swimming around (hence the army of chromis).

I would love to get a sand sifting but my substrate may be too corse.
Sounds like a cool stock, quick question of the corse substrate, im not sure how to describe it but the sand i have is really just sandy, its really smooth. It doesnt have like a gravel like texture. Is that fine or does the sand need to be a little rock-ish?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave the fox face out as they get quite large very fast.. the rest of your list is fine now the wrasse experts sorted it out for you. lol… my one spot is about 6 inches currently and was just a mere 2-1/2 inches about 7 months ago.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d leave the fox face out as they get quite large very fast.. the rest of your list is fine now the wrasse experts sorted it out for you. lol… my one spot is about 6 inches currently and was just a mere 2-1/2 inches about 7 months ago.
Really? That would suck because ive seen people pull it of in 90 gallons. Lots of people all over different forums say it can be done in 100-125 gallons minimum.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my current stocking on a 60x12(maybe18)x24 is:
powder brown tang (added last)
blue eye kole
foxface
two clowns
springer damsel
falko hawkfish
coral beauty
filefish (actually added last but largely ignored)

I only have behavior issues when I'm light on feeding. normally they are swimming all together and sharing well. The bully is the powder brown, but only when hungry.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a cool stock, quick question of the corse substrate, im not sure how to describe it but the sand i have is really just sandy, its really smooth. It doesnt have like a gravel like texture. Is that fine or does the sand need to be a little rock-ish?
Very fine substrate likely gives you more options with fish since it is easy to bury into and sift. Since my substrate is course I am not sure I can get sand sifting fish which some view as a drawback. I have course substrate because I have a pretty high flow tank and got tired of the sand getting blown around.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my current stocking on a 60x12(maybe18)x24 is:
powder brown tang (added last)
blue eye kole
foxface
two clowns
springer damsel
falko hawkfish
coral beauty
filefish (actually added last but largely ignored)

I only have behavior issues when I'm light on feeding. normally they are swimming all together and sharing well. The bully is the powder brown, but only when hungry.
thats some cool stock there, and the feeding i usually give them a little extra but my water is fine so thats no issue. Also, quick question on tangs. Do they need seaweed because i gotta make sure i get a bunch for them. Ive never really had tangs.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very fine substrate likely gives you more options with fish since it is easy to bury into and sift. Since my substrate is course I am not sure I can get sand sifting fish which some view as a drawback. I have course substrate because I have a pretty high flow tank and got tired of the sand getting blown around.
So do you think i would be able to get a goby with really fine sand?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? That would suck because ive seen people pull it of in 90 gallons. Lots of people all over different forums say it can be done in 100-125 gallons minimum.
You can theoretically fit any size fish in a tank but one spot's get very large (eg, 8" potential max size according to Live Aquaria). They don't seem to be as active swimmer as say Achilles Tang so they could do okay in a smaller tank. I just don't like the look of a huge fish in a smaller tank. A 8" fish is a large bioload that be be spread to a multiple small to medium sized fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
White tail bristletooth
Tomini
hepatus blue
Kole eye tang
Chocolate tang
Eibli Mimic tang

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back