Tangs for my 125g

jormungdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I just got in the hobby a few months back and I’m about at the point to finally add a tang. I was hoping to have two of them, but I didnt’t know if that would be too many for a 125 gallon. I’m looking at purples, yellows, and powder browns. If anyone has any insight on how to decide how many I’d really appreciate it!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of tangs, but they can be tough on each other. The tips I've used (picked up here) include:

- Introduce the two at the same time, release at lights out.
- Figure out a way to affix a mirror to your glass so that you can place it safely at any sign of aggression.
- Feed em a lot. Nori included.
- Start with healthy juveniles that you can watch eat.

If they live long enough, they might outgrow, but that will take quite a while.

OP
OP
J

jormungdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of tangs, but they can be tough on each other. The tips I've used (picked up here) include:

- Introduce the two at the same time, release at lights out.
- Figure out a way to affix a mirror to your glass so that you can place it safely at any sign of aggression.
- Feed em a lot. Nori included.
- Start with healthy juveniles that you can watch eat.

If they live long enough, they might outgrow, but that will take quite a while.

What’s the mirror for?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the mirror for?
It is a distraction to keep an aggressive fish busy with its own reflection.

For a 125, a couple tangs is possible. Individually, all three are generally okay in a standard 125 (72x18x22" high). The powder will be the most active. Personally, I would pick one of the purple or yellow. Other good options are those in the Ctenochaetus genus. You might actually be better off with three tangs, so the two won't just focus on each other.

Ideally, you would add them at the same time, have lots of food and flow, and watch for aggression.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a distraction to keep an aggressive fish busy with its own reflection.

For a 125, a couple tangs is possible. Individually, all three are generally okay in a standard 125 (72x18x22" high). The powder will be the most active. Personally, I would pick one of the purple or yellow. Other good options are those in the Ctenochaetus genus. You might actually be better off with three tangs, so the two won't just focus on each other.

Ideally, you would add them at the same time, have lots of food and flow, and watch for aggression.

Yeah I was going to suggest a Kole tang as a third also. Spotted Kole tangs are a personal favorite, although it was scary at first as he wouldn't eat any prepared foods. Only film algae. Good working fish.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest if you’re going to add two tangs and since you’re newer to the hobby to stay away from the powder tangs as they are ich magnets. Also adding the two tangs either two yellows or one yellow one purple at the same time will help aggression as they both won’t be established to any part of the tank.

Again I would make sure your tank is 100% ready for these fish and is well established before adding them.

AlexAbel197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
introduce them all together and isolate any bullies for one week or so

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back