Tangs in 75?

Ramon Estevez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there wanted to get an opinion on some of the smaller tang species in a 75? How many is to many in one tank I was thinking 3 was max. I was thinking a Tomini Tang, Sailfin Tang, And either a yellow or Purple Tang?

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 75g gal tank it would be best if you don't put any tang in there except if the tank is 4 ft in length or more.... BUT, if you really want to, you can fit a Tomini in there, or a juvenile yellow tang.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 75g gal tank it would be best if you don't put any tang in there except if the tank is 4 ft in length or more.... BUT, if you really want to, you can fit a Tomini in there, or a juvenile yellow tang.
I second this and would only add one like a bristletooth or kole tang. For a short period a yellow, if small, will be fine but make sure its the last fish added. Sailfins get huge and need a lot more room than 75g. Purples are notoriously aggressive and I feel would become a problem in such a small space like a 75g.

OP
OP
Ramon Estevez

Ramon Estevez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I figured. I had a bigger tank but downgraded since I live in a small condo. Maybe I’ll just have to wait til I get a place where I can get a large tank.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already heard it above.....the only one I'd consider is a Tomini. I once saw a full grown Sailfin (easily a foot and a half long, if not longer) in a 450 gallon tank, and thought to myself, this tank is too small.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've already heard it above.....the only one I'd consider is a Tomini. I once saw a full grown Sailfin (easily a foot and a half long, if not longer) in a 450 gallon tank, and thought to myself, this tank is too small.
Its amazing how big they actual get not just in length but height as well.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so common to see people all about tangs, especially when new, but really over time many do realize there are so many cool fish choices that fit the tank better.

That is probably the smallest tank I would keep just a single bristletooth, and that's it for tangs, but I would not let it stop me from keeping a tank that size, just w/ other options for fish.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly with good nutrient export and Fish added at the same time you could do a small yellow and a tomini. Sailfin is way too large for a 75.

john472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang solo in the tank and going to send it back to the LFS. It will eat (crabs) my clean up crew. My yellow tang doesn't play well with others either. I think it was just my luck with the draw of this yellow tang but I'm tired of buying crabs just for it to eat them.

What about a single square tail bristle tooth tang?
lg-37451-tang.jpg

Its either this or a lemon peel dwarf angel. I think a fox face would be too big for my 75.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly with good nutrient export and Fish added at the same time you could do a small yellow and a tomini. Sailfin is way too large for a 75.
Agreed, we kept our purple fat and happy for many years in our 75 reef. A sailfin would be a no go for sure.

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 75 gallon bristletooth tangs are good. But I would be wary of some species like Kole tangs. Can harrass other fish in its niche. Also yellows are ok and a purple can work but be ready for aggression from any Zebramosa tang. Sailfin needs a 6 foot tank minimum. They get big.

If you want least aggressive I find those to be Tomini bristletooth tangs.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions vary but I would say: Bristletooths (ie Kole, White Tail, Squaretail, Two Spot, Tomini) and a Yellow Tang are the only ones I would trust in a 75 gallon and ONLY one tang. I have a Yellow in my 90 gallon and he is okay but I won't be adding any other fish as long as he is in there. The Tomini and the Squaretail would be the best bets as they max out under 7 inches in length.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a single square tail bristle tooth tang?
lg-37451-tang.jpg

Its either this or a lemon peel dwarf angel. I think a fox face would be too big for my 75.

C. truncatus (squaretail/truncated) is a beautiful fish and would work in a 75.
Lemonpeel angels are really pretty. They are among the most likely dwarf angels to eat corals, if you care about that.
I agree about the foxface.

I agree with most of the other folks. I would pick any one of the bristletooth genus (Ctenochaetus) except the chevron OR one of the smaller Zebrasoma genus (not one of the sailfins) and have it be the only tang or even similarly shaped fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost went with Truncatus but the fact that they lose their bright color as they get older put me off them (hence my going with a Yellow Tang). I also agree about Lemon Peels, they are actually considered one of the worst dwarf angels for coral nipping. Thus far I have good luck with my Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel in my 90 gallon and it has plenty of color. I only have a couple of Euphyllia frags though and my tank was running for months and had a fair bit of algae for it to munch on before I put it in though.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some full grown sailfin tangs in the hawaii aquarium and was surprised they could get as massive as they do. Like 6 of them almost the size of a 75 gallon tank and half as thick too

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back