Tangs in a 110

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to have a couple tangs in a 110 gallon reef tank? I also have a 75 gallon I would like to add some to but I’m not exactly familiar with tank size and so on. I’m sure it’s probably a no for the 75 but I’d thought I’d try lol.

Bigred321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a purple tang in a 3ft tank and he did fine. But i would recommend at least a 6ft tank.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drreefsquarantinedfish.com has tank sizes listed for each fish. Good place for size references.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 4’ tank you ideally want to stay within the Ctenochaetus genus. The other genera all get aggressive and large and chances are wont do well in a 4’ tank.
I assume your 110 is a 5’ tank in which you could get the Yellow and maybe a smaller Acanthurus in there however I wouldn’t risk it unless you know you want to keep a low stock on your tank.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Would I be able to have a couple tangs in a 110 gallon reef tank? I also have a 75 gallon I would like to add some to but I’m not exactly familiar with tank size and so on. I’m sure it’s probably a no for the 75 but I’d thought I’d try lol.
Keep good water quality and feed variety you will be alright

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 in a 300, had them in a 140 for a while did ok but moved them when they got bigger they are so happy and no issues. My blonde naso has to be at least 6 inches and is super mellow...

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is what tangs can I keep in a 75 and what tangs can I keep in a 125?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so how many of each can I have and when I say each I mean the yellow tang the powder brown tang and the scopas tang?
The yellow is the only one of the three you’ve listed I would do in an understocked 4’ tank, the powder brown may work in an under stocked 125.

If you didn’t want to understock the tank then stick to the smaller Bristletooth tangs in the 4’ and the zebrasomas in a 5’.

Z. scopas I would rule out completely, these can be the most aggressive Zebrasomas and need huge tanks to lower that aggression. Z. flavescens I would say is pushing the limits of a 4’ tank however you may be able to fit one comfortably in a 5’ tank.

How many of each in a 4’ tank… I wouldn’t do any more than 1 tang in that size tank (I wouldn’t even do a tang outside of Ctenochaetus - I have a 4’x2’x18” tank with one Ctenochaetus and they’re the least active genus of tang, the one I have is quite active in my 4’). In a 5’ tank I wouldn’t do any more than 2 tangs, which even then I’d feel that would be pushing the limits to a 5’ tank.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow is the only one of the three you’ve listed I would do in an understocked 4’ tank, the powder brown may work in an under stocked 125.

If you didn’t want to understock the tank then stick to the smaller Bristletooth tangs in the 4’ and the zebrasomas in a 5’.

Z. scopas I would rule out completely, these can be the most aggressive Zebrasomas and need huge tanks to lower that aggression. Z. flavescens I would say is pushing the limits of a 4’ tank however you may be able to fit one comfortably in a 5’ tank.

How many of each in a 4’ tank… I wouldn’t do any more than 1 tang in that size tank (I wouldn’t even do a tang outside of Ctenochaetus - I have a 4’x2’x18” tank with one Ctenochaetus and they’re the least active genus of tang, the one I have is quite active in my 4’). In a 5’ tank I wouldn’t do any more than 2 tangs, which even then I’d feel that would be pushing the limits to a 5’ tank.
Ok so yellow and bristle in a 75 and the powdered blue or brown in a 125?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so yellow and bristle in a 75 and the powdered blue or brown in a 125?
I wouldn’t do 2 in a 4’. Move the idea of a yellow into the 125 with the blue or brown and then only go for 2-3 more fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I believe your tank is an extra tall and ideally, you want length and width but dont let it stop you from having 4-5 tangs and be aware of growth sizes as an example, you dont want a sailfin, dussomierri or vlamingi which easily grow 8-13" easily
Tomini, gem, purple, yellow are safe size tangs.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your tank is an extra tall and ideally, you want length and width but dont let it stop you from having 4-5 tangs and be aware of growth sizes as an example, you dont want a sailfin, dussomierri or vlamingi which easily grow 8-13" easily
Tomini, gem, purple, yellow are safe size tangs.
In what tank the 75 or the 125?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back