TANGS love fruit!!!

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sugars are simple carbohydrates that store energy to be used in glycolysis. Plants make different types of sugars through photosynthesis (mostly): fruits have fructose, milk has lactose, etc. Each sugar/carbohydrate is associated with different concentrations of other essential elements, as well as starch and cellulose.

A varied diet is always recommended, but would limit these treats to just that.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sugars are simple carbohydrates that store energy to be used in glycolysis. Plants make different types of sugars through photosynthesis (mostly): fruits have fructose, milk has lactose, etc. Each sugar/carbohydrate is associated with different concentrations of other essential elements, as well as starch and cellulose.

A varied diet is always recommended, but would limit these treats to just that.
Nicely put Mikeg. Jake Adams of Reef Builders has said some time ago that just feeding Mysis or enriched brine is like feeding them or us a burrito every day. Not good. Granted he was pushing for a variety, pellets, flakes etc. I think more needs to be looked at when it comes to feeding our tanks healthy foods like fruit. Just sayin.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they say anything about macroalgae and algae in that write up? That's really interesting didn't know that about sponges. However I cant imagine macroalgae would have any significant amount of sugar. Ive eaten dulse enough times to know it doesn't taste like sugar.
Love me my Atlantic Dulse...I snack on it while I watch the Tang make a meal of it lol...

s_spowart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I will have to try that now, was tempted to try them on lettuce because its cheaper than the dried sea weed, and probably does the same job, but strawberries and banana, never even considered feeding those to my tangs. Best get down to Tesco for some fruit lol.

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am still waiting for the video of a banana eating tang!!!

1625633951600.gif

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs devour lettuce, a little spinach, a bit of banana, the yellow tangs eat watermelon and peppers too

They never go near pellets thought, spoiled fish :)
I think we’re on to something! I have a Copper Banded Butterfly fish and they are very particular about the food they eat. Fish know! They won’t eat something that they are not drawn to or attracted to.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am still waiting for the video of a banana eating tang!!!

1625633951600.gif
Okay Brady this is the best I can do right now. Google Melevsreef feeds bananas to fish. Its the 5:37 video. Enjoy!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk man. Im a huge believer in sticking with foods natural to their diet in the wild.

I think unnatural things like this could cause internal problems, like liver problems.... shortening their life

I mean... heck. Feed them chunks of pizza, tacos, steak, chicken and bacon while we're at it :rolleyes:

In turn.... maybe us R2R reefers can start eating corals like Montis to replace potato chips, anemones with bounce mushrooms instead of soup

Just sayin

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay Brady this is the best I can do right now. Google Melevsreef feeds bananas to fish. Its the 5:37 video. Enjoy!
cool thread..going to see video, my gone in 60 seconds.. ;) love pellets 13" 11" ,banana's huh..:cool:
WP_20210618_13_01_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20210618_13_16_58_Pro.jpg

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I was listening to Mark with Melev’s Reef. He was describing how his fish love getting an occasional treat of banana. Since then I will occasionally toss in some small pieces of banana. My 3 tangs, Blue Hyppo, Sailfin and Yellow eat it like it’s candy! Yesterday I chopped up some Ranier Cherries. A new favorite.
Does anyone out there do this?
Did not know this but will give it a try. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk man. Im a huge believer in sticking with foods natural to their diet in the wild.

I think unnatural things like this could cause internal problems, like liver problems.... shortening their life

I mean... heck. Feed them chunks of pizza, tacos, steak, chicken and bacon while we're at it :rolleyes:

In turn.... maybe us R2R reefers can start eating corals like Montis to replace potato chips, anemones with bounce mushrooms instead of soup

Just sayin

Hey ZW, So your argument is that they are “unnatural” They might be uncommon to sea creatures but they are “of nature”. 150 years ago if you were born in the middle of our great country on a farm, you would have never seen and not have been eating Avacados, Mangos
and Chick Peas. Not because they aren’t natural but because they weren’t yet introduced to or available to our diet yet. These products are still good for us. My gut says. Things like bananas, strawberries and watermelon just might be a really good “natural” supplement to our fishes diets. :)

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love me my Atlantic Dulse...I snack on it while I watch the Tang make a meal of it lol...
Hi Canuck, To be honest, I had to look up “dulce”. I’m now on board lol. So how do you consume this delicacy? Out of a bag, on a cracker???

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Algae Barn likes this thread. I’m a fan of theirs as well. (Photo)
7E5970B3-CF36-4247-8CD0-E12D4F5929B2.jpeg
So here’s my idea:
Mark and Glenn’s Tropical Blend or Glenner’s Reef Tropical Blend. Either way I’m on board. No charge for the idea, research or creativity. I would be honored. Run with it! :)

Back