TANGS love fruit!!!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I was listening to Mark with Melev’s Reef. He was describing how his fish love getting an occasional treat of banana. Since then I will occasionally toss in some small pieces of banana. My 3 tangs, Blue Hyppo, Sailfin and Yellow eat it like it’s candy! Yesterday I chopped up some Ranier Cherries. A new favorite.
Does anyone out there do this?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years back I was listening to Mark with Melev’s Reef. He was describing how his fish love getting an occasional treat of banana. Since then I will occasionally toss in some small pieces of banana. My 3 tangs, Blue Hyppo, Sailfin and Yellow eat it like it’s candy! Yesterday I chopped up some Ranier Cherries. A new favorite.
Wait whaaaaat!? Really they’ll eat bananas?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait whaaaaat!? Really they’ll eat bananas?
They seriously love and devour bananas. My 3 tangs are good size. But I chop 5-10 mouth sized pieces up a put them in a high flow area. They are gone in seconds.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They eat strawberries too!!!!!
0E90430D-6BE7-4081-9F14-FD1D70A23228.jpeg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like alot of sugar compared to aquatic plants/macroalgae. Id be wary of the long term effects of sugar on a marine animal that normally wouldn't get much in the wild. I don't mean to be negative just wondering what would supply that much sugar on the reef.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like alot of sugar compared to aquatic plants/macroalgae. Id be wary of the long term effects of sugar on a marine animal that normally wouldn't get much in the wild. I don't mean to be negative just wondering what would supply that much sugar on the reef.
Hey sugar dosing has proven to lower nitrates. Lol.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to sugar, I limit a strawberry to a once a month treat. I can say while diving all around the world, it amazes me at what tangs eat. Floating nuts from trees are food. Little tangs inshore eat just about everything floating or sinking lol.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to sugar, I limit a strawberry to a once a month treat. I can say while diving all around the world, it amazes me at what tangs eat. Floating nuts from trees are food. Little tangs inshore eat just about everything floating or sinking lol.
Let’s face it, Krill can’t produce a plant based food like Strawberries or Bananas. Tangs need their plants. Good observation Eagle-Steve.

BigDaddyTomTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont wanna give the fish a sugar high

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they say anything about macroalgae and algae in that write up? That's really interesting didn't know that about sponges. However I cant imagine macroalgae would have any significant amount of sugar. Ive eaten dulse enough times to know it doesn't taste like sugar.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they say anything about macroalgae and algae in that write up? That's really interesting didn't know that about sponges. However I cant imagine macroalgae would have any significant amount of sugar. Ive eaten dulse enough times to know it doesn't taste like sugar.
Interesting read:
711DCE61-CFE0-49C1-8E88-0392FD45C22D.jpeg

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef2Reef. What a great forum! We went from Tangs eating fruit to sound evidence that natural sea water and macro algae all contain sugar making up a significant part of the diet of sponges. Knowing exactly how much fruit can be introduced into any given tank may very well be for another discussion.
until then my Tangs will enjoy a occasional treat. Thanks for all of your input.
64C76CA5-3B7A-4AE5-97DD-0686FA6505A8.jpeg

cheykaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow ..I didn't know that..will have to do that with mine and see! I love doing different treats for them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
banana for potassium
romaine lettuce
peas
Broccoli crowns

Coffee - OK, JK on this one.

Back