Tangs

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two questions for all you fine R2R folks...

1. I took over an IM 100EXT about two weeks ago. It came with a Sailfin tang and a Tomini tang which get along swimmingly (pun intended!). I have always wanted a yellow tang but I'm hesitant to add one because I don't know if the others will take to it well. I know that the yellow tangs are usually the bullies, and I don't want to add one if the others probably won't get along with it well. I do have a large QT box for the tank so I could put it in there to allow the other two to be more friendly with it and get used to each other before they are all released together. Is it doable with the two that I have or should I not even try it?

2. I've had a pile of fish poop in the corner of the tank since the day I set it up and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was doing it. Well last night I got home from work and saw my Tomini swim to the corner, lay down on the sand, poop and then shoot away quick. Do other people's tangs just pick a corner and always go there?! My conch is absolutely loving the constant food source it just struck me as odd.
1708094595806.png

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a yellow tang to an established sailfin tang is not a great idea. It COULD work, but it could also be catastrophic. Also sailfin tangs get massive, and there's a chance it'll eventually outgrow your tank.

To your second point, my tomini tang does the same thing it has a tank bathroom

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a yellow tang to an established sailfin tang is not a great idea. It COULD work, but it could also be catastrophic. Also sailfin tangs get massive, and there's a chance it'll eventually outgrow your tank.

To your second point, my tomini tang does the same thing it has a tank bathroom
Yeah, I know he will get big and I'm sure he will outgrow it at some point. If it wasn't for the fact he came with the tank I would've never gotten one but we're here now... Fow now, he has plenty of room and the gf fell in love with him and already said whenever he outgrows it, were getting the 200 for him so that's a plus! He really is like a puppy dog in the tank though, always coming up to the glass and very personable.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two questions for all you fine R2R folks...

1. I took over an IM 100EXT about two weeks ago. It came with a Sailfin tang and a Tomini tang which get along swimmingly (pun intended!). I have always wanted a yellow tang but I'm hesitant to add one because I don't know if the others will take to it well. I know that the yellow tangs are usually the bullies, and I don't want to add one if the others probably won't get along with it well. I do have a large QT box for the tank so I could put it in there to allow the other two to be more friendly with it and get used to each other before they are all released together. Is it doable with the two that I have or should I not even try it?

2. I've had a pile of fish poop in the corner of the tank since the day I set it up and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was doing it. Well last night I got home from work and saw my Tomini swim to the corner, lay down on the sand, poop and then shoot away quick. Do other people's tangs just pick a corner and always go there?! My conch is absolutely loving the constant food source it just struck me as odd.
1708094595806.png
your tang is “potty trained” that’s all :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I’d place a litter box in that corner with a automatic scooper

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole uses the front corner as a bathroom also it’s kinda funny! The other 6 tangs just let loose when darting across the tank and then the others eat it! :confounded-face:
I wonder why bristletooth tangs do that. They seem to be the main ones and so many of them do it.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you find a yellow tang from a tank tear down or similar the only options I know if are the captive bred ones and they are pretty small and may not be able to hold their own against the other tangs. I've been wanting to add a couple more yellows but I would have to grow them out before I could add them to my current tang gang and I just don't feel like setting up another tank.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you find a yellow tang from a tank tear down or similar the only options I know if are the captive bred ones and they are pretty small and may not be able to hold their own against the other tangs. I've been wanting to add a couple more yellows but I would have to grow them out before I could add them to my current tang gang and I just don't feel like setting up another tank.
I think that depends on the tang. My biota yellow was tiny but held his own with my adult purple no issues lol he currently is the “pill” of the tank!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that depends on the tang. My biota yellow was tiny but held his own with my adult purple no issues lol he currently is the “pill” of the tank!
Ya they all have independent personalities. I bought two adult yellows from two tank tear downs. Ran them through QT together with eggcrate between them. Pulled my purple tang and placed it in timeout in a seperate tank as I figured the purple would be aggressive. Added the yellows and all was fine for a week or so. Brought the purple back up and all was good for another week then one yellow turned on the other with relentless attacks including biting not just tail smaking and I had to seperate them so I now have two yellows in two tanks. The purple and remain yellow in that tank get along fine. This was in a 180g. Sometimes you roll the dice and win some times not. Just depends on your risk factor and if you have accommodations to seperate the fish if needed. Many people don't have the option to run a seperate tank if aggression starts so they need to be more cautious when adding livestock JMO

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they all have independent personalities. I bought two adult yellows from two tank tear downs. Ran them through QT together with eggcrate between them. Pulled my purple tang and placed it in timeout in a seperate tank as I figured the purple would be aggressive. Added the yellows and all was fine for a week or so. Brought the purple back up and all was good for another week then one yellow turned on the other with relentless attacks including biting not just tail smaking and I had to seperate them so I now have two yellows in two tanks. The purple and remain yellow in that tank get along fine. This was in a 180g. Sometimes you roll the dice and win some times not. Just depends on your risk factor and if you have accommodations to seperate the fish if needed. Many people don't have the option to run a seperate tank if aggression starts so they need to be more cautious when adding livestock JMO
Very true! My guy is a pill. He likes to try to mess with my other tangs even though they are all bigger than him. He managed to tick off my huma huma trigger and she went after him for a few minutes lol. He has been much better behaved after that!

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I probably would go the Biota route because the fish I have from them are all super well-adjusted to tank life and I haven't ever had a bad experience from them. I will probably let everything settle in a bit and then think about it some more. Or I'll wait till the Sailfin gets too big and get a 200 for it and add one then.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back