Tangs

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a 90 gallon 48x18x24. How long could I have tangs before they would be too large for the tank? I don't mind trading them at a later time for a better home

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you went with a kole or tomini you could probably keep forever. Anything else will most likely less than 2 years and that is stretching.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend picking from the list of tangs that can live their entire life in a 90.

Any Ctenochaetus genus tang, except chevron

Any of the Zebrasoma genus tangs, except the two huge sailfins.

I would only choose one, and it will probably have to be the only deep bodied fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a 90 gallon 48x18x24. How long could I have tangs before they would be too large for the tank? I don't mind trading them at a later time for a better home

That is flawed thinking IMHO as it's never as simple as that for the owner or the fish. Why not stick to the Tangs that you can keep for their entire lives in the tank. A Kole Tang, Two Spot (aka Blue Eye Kole Tang), Squaretail Tang, Tomini Tang and if you have the cash and are willing to be patient The White Tail Bristletooth Tang are all capable of living out their lives in that tank (provided you stick to just one of them).

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend picking from the list of tangs that can live their entire life in a 90.

Any Ctenochaetus genus tang, except chevron

Any of the Zebrasoma genus tangs, except the two huge sailfins.

I would only choose one, and it will probably have to be the only deep bodied fish.

I would have to disagree with the Zebrasoma Tangs. I had to boot a half grown Yellow out of my 90 gallon after a month as it tried to claim the entire 90 gallon tank as it's own. Purples are even worse. I agree that the smaller bristletooths are good fits long term though.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to disagree with the Zebrasoma Tangs. I had to boot a half grown Yellow out of my 90 gallon after a month as it tried to claim the entire 90 gallon tank as it's own. Purples are even worse. I agree that the smaller bristletooths are good fits long term though.

They can be nasty, for sure. That's why I recommend only one, and no other deep-bodied fish (tangs, butterflies especially).

What fish did your yellow bother? Any casualties?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have lots of rock for grazing and such a yellow and purple can be very timid, mine are, but my tank is full of rocks, corals and fish. If you have a linited open Aquascape then they will most likely be aggressive towards each other based on the limited grazing opportunities.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the Ctenochaetus tangs would work. A yellow tang would work also. With any tang, the longer the tank the better.

Back