Tangs

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more a question of what you morally and ethically feel is an appropriate amount of discomfort for the fish. Those fish will have no problem living for years in that tank If you find the right food balance related to slowing the growth rate and also filtration for water quality. I have had a 4 inch zoa eating blue regal tang, nem eating copper banded, and a coral eating coral beauty in my 40 gal sump for about a year now trying to find a good home for them. You know the fish aren't happy about it but they look as good as the day they went in there.
Wow! Did you do something bad in a previous life? My cbb, dwarf angels (flame and bicolor) and regal tang are model citizens.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Did you do something bad in a previous life? My cbb, dwarf angels (flame and bicolor) and regal tang are model er a small tank (80 gals) and no aggro. This weekend the YT will be added, a fish I have had

Yellow tang? You rich?

Get a purple tang, they're cheaper...

I NEVER THOUGHT IN MY LIFE I'D BE SAYING THAT.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the days a YT was £70 now your looking at £400 if you can get one due to the export ban in hawaii. The purples here are £130 but have a reputation of aggression. I managed to get hold of a 2nd hand YT being returned to the LFS for £200 and hope to get him this weekend depending on water tests. Although still pricey but my regal angel was £149 and he is tiny

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang? You rich?

Get a purple tang, they're cheaper...

I NEVER THOUGHT IN MY LIFE I'D BE SAYING THAT.
That is Not good advice imo.

Purple tangs are notoriously more aggressive and moody than a yellow tang. Already dealing with major size issues, It would be ill-advised to switch out one tang for a generally more aggressive one.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Did you do something bad in a previous life? My cbb, dwarf angels (flame and bicolor) and regal tang are model citizens.
I have at least 20 different zoa colonies and my regal only chews on one. It jus so happens to be one of my favorites. I have had this fish for 7 years so it's sad to have to let him go.

This is my 3rd or 4th attempt at a CBB and they are all model citizens for 6 months to a year but when they get bigger they all start nibbling on my rock flower nems. I have not had success with any of them. This current one I hand fed PE Mysis every morning and evening from week 1 thinking it just wasn't getting enough food. Wrong. He grew very fast and started eating RFA quicker than all the others.

The coral beauty is great with all corals except an orange leptastrea and a green pocillopora. Those colonies are large though and the leptastrea is one of my favorite lps so the choice on who had to go was easy.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is Not good advice imo.

Purple tangs are notoriously more aggressive and moody than a yellow tang. Already dealing with major size issues, It would be ill-advised to switch out one tang for a generally more aggressive one.
I believe they meant that post to be comical, and not meant as serious advice.

Although if they were serious then yes a purple would be an even worse choice

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they meant that post to be comical, and not meant as serious advice.

Although if they were serious then yes a purple would be an even worse choice
Purple has never interested me, it has to be the YT or no tang at all but squeeze in a regal if I can as a 2nd

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple has never interested me, it has to be the YT or no tang at all but squeeze in a regal if I can as a 2nd
I'm the exact opposite. I've always preferred the purple. I have one going through quarantine now. It sure does look big ( it's probably around 4-5") in a 29 gallon qt tank.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the exact opposite. I've always preferred the purple. I have one going through quarantine now. It sure does look big ( it's probably around 4-5") in a 29 gallon qt tank.
Wow..
As I novice I don't have a QT tank, my LFS said they can be harder to keep than the DT and their fish are already semi quarantined in a mild medicated environment to rid of incoming uglies. The YT I am getting this weekend has been in their display tank for 9 weeks. So confident he is ok

magicstix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow..
As I novice I don't have a QT tank, my LFS said they can be harder to keep than the DT and their fish are already semi quarantined in a mild medicated environment to rid of incoming uglies. The YT I am getting this weekend has been in their display tank for 9 weeks. So confident he is ok

You're really rolling the dice without a QT tank.

They're pretty cheap and easy to set up. Just get a 10 gallon, a biowheel filter, a heater, and some PVC pipe fittings for shelter. Maybe $50 tops.

It really depends on your source. Buying from LiveAquaria Diver's Den, I generally don't QT. If for some reason I'm brave enough to buy from Petco, I QT the heck out of the fish (last time I was at Petco I didn't even risk buying after seeing multiple coral beauties speckled with ick).

QT tanks are harder to maintain only because they're generally smaller, but you don't need ATO/skimmer/fancy lighting if you're just going to have a fish in there for a couple weeks.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're really rolling the dice without a QT tank.

They're pretty cheap and easy to set up. Just get a 10 gallon, a biowheel filter, a heater, and some PVC pipe fittings for shelter. Maybe $50 tops.

It really depends on your source. Buying from LiveAquaria Diver's Den, I generally don't QT. If for some reason I'm brave enough to buy from Petco, I QT the heck out of the fish (last time I was at Petco I didn't even risk buying after seeing multiple coral beauties speckled with ick).

QT tanks are harder to maintain only because they're generally smaller, but you don't need ATO/skimmer/fancy lighting if you're just going to have a fish in there for a couple weeks.
Great advice, seems uk take a different approach, however I am now at the point I only have one more fish to add to be considered fully stocked and too late to consider a QT. All current incumbents showing no signs of concern although 2 have only been in a week..fingers crossed it stays that way

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have at least 20 different zoa colonies and my regal only chews on one. It jus so happens to be one of my favorites. I have had this fish for 7 years so it's sad to have to let him go.

This is my 3rd or 4th attempt at a CBB and they are all model citizens for 6 months to a year but when they get bigger they all start nibbling on my rock flower nems. I have not had success with any of them. This current one I hand fed PE Mysis every morning and evening from week 1 thinking it just wasn't getting enough food. Wrong. He grew very fast and started eating RFA quicker than all the others.

The coral beauty is great with all corals except an orange leptastrea and a green pocillopora. Those colonies are large though and the leptastrea is one of my favorite lps so the choice on who had to go was easy.
Wow never heard of a regal doing that. Maybe its the rock flowers w/ the cbb. I have large bta's and my cbb pays no attention. Had the cbb for year and a half.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My 300 Ltr (80 US Gal Including Sump) is a mere 12 weeks old and already I have a family of fish doing very well without aggression. The very last 2 fish I wish to add to complete my stock is the Yellow Tang plus 1 other, prob the Regal (Hippo) Tang. My Yellow has been reserved at the LFS for prob 9 weeks and its about time he comes home. Do I put him in before the Regal Tang or later. The Regal is about 2inches the YT is about 3inches. OR at the same time.. please advise
After as they are the more aggressive of the two

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the plunge and brought home my YT that had been reserved for 7 weeks or so. Went in no probs, no aggro. I then took the decision to buy the Regal tang fm another LFS and put him in today as well. Thought best to do it today or not at all. Amazing all seems settled no aggro from anyone. That's me fully stocked. Really chuffed and all introductions went smooth as a babies bottom.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no issues with tangs when I introduce them at the same time. The last tile was two years ago and put in a yellow, purple and hippo together. They are still good citizens as long as you provide enough food.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no issues with tangs when I introduce them at the same time. The last tile was two years ago and put in a yellow, purple and hippo together. They are still good citizens as long as you provide enough food.
What a weekend, brought home the YT, all doing well no aggro, an hour later decided to buy the Regal Tang, again no probs. Sunday morning I was up early before the lights to see the YT being bossy with his tail to everyone, sorting pecking order he is now the boss, then I noticed my Regal Angel went into hiding, not done it before so I guess he is timid of the YT. He does appear for a few minutes and feeds well before hiding. I wondered if he was ill or frightened, I decided as a caution to treat the tank with polyo lab medic to eradicate any ich that may arise due to stress. Day 2 of treatment today. The Regal Angel does appear for longer periods, still eating and grazing, he looks fine, in fact he is out and about at this moment, the YT has ignored him so I guess it's just a matter of time before the Regal Angel gains more confidence in sharing space with the YT.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a weekend, brought home the YT, all doing well no aggro, an hour later decided to buy the Regal Tang, again no probs. Sunday morning I was up early before the lights to see the YT being bossy with his tail to everyone, sorting pecking order he is now the boss, then I noticed my Regal Angel went into hiding, not done it before so I guess he is timid of the YT. He does appear for a few minutes and feeds well before hiding. I wondered if he was ill or frightened, I decided as a caution to treat the tank with polyo lab medic to eradicate any ich that may arise due to stress. Day 2 of treatment today. The Regal Angel does appear for longer periods, still eating and grazing, he looks fine, in fact he is out and about at this moment, the YT has ignored him so I guess it's just a matter of time before the Regal Angel gains more confidence in sharing space with the YT.
Some large mirrors may help you to calm down the YT aggression towards other fish.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some large mirrors may help you to calm down the YT aggression towards other fish.
His aggression seems to be just a quick swipe of his tail to move someone on rather than a chase. Other than that he gets on fine grazing with them all. I presume it's a pecking order thing and it will calm down. The Regal Angel seems to be happier today than yesterday so it's looking better. I will not add anymore stock as I am sure the YT will do his nut

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back