Tangs

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300 Ltr (80 US Gal Including Sump) is a mere 12 weeks old and already I have a family of fish doing very well without aggression. The very last 2 fish I wish to add to complete my stock is the Yellow Tang plus 1 other, prob the Regal (Hippo) Tang. My Yellow has been reserved at the LFS for prob 9 weeks and its about time he comes home. Do I put him in before the Regal Tang or later. The Regal is about 2inches the YT is about 3inches. OR at the same time.. please advise

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same time is the proper move, the will find themselves without any specific territory. Make sure you increase food supply to avoid competition. In case of aggression place some large mirrors in your tank.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they would get on fine as different shape etc

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36 inch wide 22 deep and 22 high

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO that is not big enough for either fish, unless you already have a plan for removing them when they get bigger. I would personally add them together, or if not together I'd put the yellow in last. Although neither of those fish are overly aggressive IME so either way would probably be fine.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO that is not big enough for either fish, unless you already have a plan for removing them when they get bigger. I would personally add them together, or if not together I'd put the yellow in last. Although neither of those fish are overly aggressive IME so either way would probably be fine.
Agreed on both. 36" isn't big enough for either for long, not enough for the yt now imo but if you're looking to put them in , dropping them together is probably your best bet.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming we are talking years not months before it becomes a problem. Gives me a few years to enjoy them as I am also in my later years

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming we are talking years not months before it becomes a problem. Gives me a few years to enjoy them as I am also in my later years
It's hard to say because every fish will grow at somewhat different rates. If they start small I'd say you could possibly have a couple of years.

I believe that growth when small is quicker but would slow down once the fish reaches around half of its adult size.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang aggression is almost in opposite proportion to tank size. Two "normally" non-aggressive species may very well become highly aggressive if they feel competition for feeding territory. As they grow, so does their demand for territory.

So don't be at all surprised if what works today doesn't work next month.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say because every fish will grow at somewhat different rates. If they start small I'd say you could possibly have a couple of years.

I believe that growth when small is quicker but would slow down once the fish reaches around half of its adult
Unfortunately not.
Ermm.. maybe if I got rid of the wife I could get a bigger tank and move it upstairs as I will only need a small bed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus tangs are swimmers whether big or small. I have an 8' tank and all of mine go from one end to the other pretty much constantly unless picking at rocks.

They like the distance swimming....

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300 Ltr (80 US Gal Including Sump) is a mere 12 weeks old and already I have a family of fish doing very well without aggression. The very last 2 fish I wish to add to complete my stock is the Yellow Tang plus 1 other, prob the Regal (Hippo) Tang. My Yellow has been reserved at the LFS for prob 9 weeks and its about time he comes home. Do I put him in before the Regal Tang or later. The Regal is about 2inches the YT is about 3inches. OR at the same time.. please advise
I wouldn't put them both in an 80 gal. Yellows can be very nasty. If you can't resist put the hippo in first and be prepared to remove one. I couldn't get my yellow to work out with a larger powder brown in 280 gallons!

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I need to say that although I Class myself as a newbie by today's specs I did dabble in marine about 40 yrs ago when I lived in Holland. It was non existent in the UK but big new hobby over there. No Internet, no Google, no test kits, just books and trust in the LFS. A hobby in its infancy, no sump, a skimmer and all the stuff in the main tank and a pressurised canister filter beneath. Usual size 3ft x 2ft x 2ft. Metal halide lights... no blue light led stuff in those days. I will say although I lost fish in the learning process and there were no corals to speak of, living rock was a must, but I managed to keep a YT, regal, powder blue, flame angel, Korean angel, bicolour, sweetips, a large anemome with hosting Clowns and believe it or not a pair of seahorses, a clam, shrimps, urchins and plus others I cannot remember. In those days there were no expert knowledge, a case of put it in and see what happens. Some with great success, I even moved them all to Germany and couple of years later and to the UK before the cost of running the 2 metal halides did me in. I don't remember the fish that survived the full experience or outgrew the 3ft tank, I also don't remember which passed away from the stress from it all but I do remember the YT stayed with me till the end. I remember finding a tiny crab inside a shell from Bournemouth beach when I got home so I threw it in the tank. Not to be seen again until it appeared from nowhere some weeks later about 3inches in size. It was so funny but it was removed. I lost interest at that point with the constant moving of army life.

Guy714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I need to say that although I Class myself as a newbie by today's specs I did dabble in marine about 40 yrs ago when I lived in Holland. It was non existent in the UK but big new hobby over there. No Internet, no Google, no test kits, just books and trust in the LFS. A hobby in its infancy, no sump, a skimmer and all the stuff in the main tank and a pressurised canister filter beneath. Usual size 3ft x 2ft x 2ft. Metal halide lights... no blue light led stuff in those days. I will say although I lost fish in the learning process and there were no corals to speak of, living rock was a must, but I managed to keep a YT, regal, powder blue, flame angel, Korean angel, bicolour, sweetips, a large anemome with hosting Clowns and believe it or not a pair of seahorses, a clam, shrimps, urchins and plus others I cannot remember. In those days there were no expert knowledge, a case of put it in and see what happens. Some with great success, I even moved them all to Germany and couple of years later and to the UK before the cost of running the 2 metal halides did me in. I don't remember the fish that survived the full experience or outgrew the 3ft tank, I also don't remember which passed away from the stress from it all but I do remember the YT stayed with me till the end. I remember finding a tiny crab inside a shell from Bournemouth beach when I got home so I threw it in the tank. Not to be seen again until it appeared from nowhere some weeks later about 3inches in size. It was so funny but it was removed. I lost interest at that point with the constant moving of army life.
Wow what a story! Thanks for sharing.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more a question of what you morally and ethically feel is an appropriate amount of discomfort for the fish. Those fish will have no problem living for years in that tank If you find the right food balance related to slowing the growth rate and also filtration for water quality. I have had a 4 inch zoa eating blue regal tang, nem eating copper banded, and a coral eating coral beauty in my 40 gal sump for about a year now trying to find a good home for them. You know the fish aren't happy about it but they look as good as the day they went in there.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most people on here treat their fish like family members and some probably better. Asking a question such as what you did will get a wide range of answers because we as a whole are accustomed to affording our fish with the "best" living conditions that we feel that we can outside of the oceans.

When a topic is raised that is seen as questionable to what most here consider reasonable living standards then you will get the responses that you have seen. I dont think there can be a very productive conversation about a tang going in a 3' tank except for people trying to talk you out of it for the fish's wellbeing. I'm not saying that you are going out of your way to purposely make the fish miserably by any means.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people on here treat their fish like family members and some probably better. Asking a question such as what you did will get a wide range of answers because we as a whole are accustomed to affording our fish with the "best" living conditions that we feel that we can outside of the oceans.

When a topic is raised that is seen as questionable to what most here consider reasonable living standards then you will get the responses that you have seen. I dont think there can be a very productive conversation about a tang going in a 3' tank except for people trying to talk you out of it for the fish's wellbeing. I'm not saying that you are going out of your way to purposely make the fish miserably by any means.
I agree, 40 years ago this hobby did not exist in europe. so much was learnt by experimenting or reading books that were scarce. It was a case of throwing in some damsels and wait 6 weeks. The YT is a favourite to most people inc me and one of the first many put in the tank. I seem to remember fireworks with some later additions but not all. In those days a flame would be £50 a lot of money in those days when they were commonly avail. Today your talking about £170 because they are less available in europe. I actually reserved one last week only to cancel him as already having a CB, Bicolor and Regal Angel doing well together I decided it was a risk too far, the wife however who doesn't understand the hobby was annoyed that I cancelled him. Now I have seen a pair of black and white Clowns...very big.. 3inch and the wife wud love them but she does not understand my 2 tiny Perculas wud have to be returned otherwise we will have problems... her attitude is you don't know that for sure....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back