Tank above electrical panel

temple2101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the middle of a new build (80 gallon) and I’m thinking about moving the tank to a different spot than my current tank. My existing 50 gallon is on an inside wall running parallel to the floor joists. I want to place the 80 gallon on an outside wall in the room where it will be perpendicular to the joists. I’m not overly concerned about the weight right now, but I’m thinking long term and the next upgrade to an even bigger tank. The issue is the only place I can put the tank if I use the outside wall is right above the electrical panel in the basement. How big of a concern is this? Obviously if I had a catastrophic failure it could be bad news, but should I be worried enough to not do it?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd never place a tank directly over the main electrical panel. Leaks can run down through outside walls fairly easily and wires make nice paths for water to travel. (In this case strait to their source - the panel) Not to mention if you ever had a home inspection for unrelated reasons and the inspector was to notice that, you could have problems.

Last edited:

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If water got into the box and the current bypasses the circuit breakers as a result, a fire could result. Also if water has flooded the floor and you enter the wet basement you may get electrocuted.

OP
OP
temple2101

temple2101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they say there’s no such thing as a stupid question, but… thanks for the reality check everyone! This build has been dragging on and I think I’m just exhausted and not thinking straight. I knew what the answer would be… thank you all!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they say there’s no such thing as a stupid question, but… thanks for the reality check everyone! This build has been dragging on and I think I’m just exhausted and not thinking straight. I knew what the answer would be… thank you all!
Sometimes you just need others to back up what you already know...I get it. ;)

pentest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you just need others to back up what you already know...I get it.
About a month ago I wife and I are down stairs on the first floor then we hear water rushing inside of a wall, we both say what hell is that from, well as it turn out it was my daughter left the bathtub over flow.
The flooded wall is a hallway wall across is the electrical panel so be careful.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back