OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK we went back to the lowers spread out version, of course i didn't get it exactly the same despite my efforts. My students also ran out of patience with me when I couldn't get it symmetrical. One explained that its ok if its higher on one side as opposed to in the middle nature isn't always symmetrical. They had a laugh at my expense and we remembered its their tank so if they are happy we are all happy. The small piece in the front is a piece of live rock we are using to boost the cycle. We will likely remove it, although one student proposed we leave it and built an island of whatever we decide as a class is our favorite coral?

IMG_1583.JPG

CiCikl85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! My older brother teaches 5th grade and has received several grants for his tanks at school, Currently he has a 125 in the media center, and a 100 gallon w/ a display Refugium in his class. I'm not quite sure how he did it but somehow he went through Amazon and made a list of all the equipment and supplies and then made a write up on what he was doing and people from all over the US were able to see his info and then purchase the items or donate money towards items on his list and then once list was paid for Amazon shipped it to his class, I know this community is awesome but getting to see it first hand it was really hit home for me! Teachers that go the extra mile are always the ones that make a true lasting impression on these kids are they grow up! Kudos to you!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of nitrites and an increase in nitrates is definitely a good sign that things are progressing. You have at least a partial cycle going. What are you using to cycle? Sorry if I missed the description and is that a jump in ammonia from 0.2 to 0.4 or a decrease from 0.7 (I'm horrible at reading hw).

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presence of nitrites and an increase in nitrates is definitely a good sign that things are progressing. You have at least a partial cycle going. What are you using to cycle? Sorry if I missed the description and is that a jump in ammonia from 0.2 to 0.4 or a decrease from 0.7 (I'm horrible at reading hw).
it is a jump from .2 to .4. I started with dry life rock from Caribbean sea and some sand also not live. It all came together in the Biocube 32 complete reef kit from Marineland I think. I then decided to add 20 pounds of live sand I picked up at Petco along with one small piece of live rock. Along the way I have been dosing with Microbater7

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a jump from .2 to .4. I started with dry life rock from Caribbean sea and some sand also not live. It all came together in the Biocube 32 complete reef kit from Marineland I think. I then decided to add 20 pounds of live sand I picked up at Petco along with one small piece of live rock. Along the way I have been dosing with Microbater7

Ok so the cycle is definitely going. Nitrates are the last stage but should make sure ammonia and nitrites are zero before adding anything. Are you ghost feeding the tank or dosing ammonia? I also always like to stress test my tanks once ammonia/nitrates are zero by adding a relatively large piece of raw/frozen shrimp or a few cubes of frozen mysis.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the cycle is definitely going. Nitrates are the last stage but should make sure ammonia and nitrites are zero before adding anything. Are you ghost feeding the tank or dosing ammonia? I also always like to stress test my tanks once ammonia/nitrates are zero by adding a relatively large piece of raw/frozen shrimp or a few cubes of frozen mysis.
i have not put any food in the tank I don't even have any salt water food. Have fresh water tropical fish flakes laying around.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have not put any food in the tank I don't even have any salt water food. Have fresh water tropical fish flakes laying around.

You have to provide the nitrifying bacteria with some source of food (ammonia), it will speed up the cycle especially since you're dosing bacteria. Freshwater flakes will do. You can also pick up a raw cleaned shrimp at a grocery store. Then you can chop in half, feed one half right away then wait a day or two for the second half. With flakes I'd throw in a teaspoon or two first day then follow up with more in 2 days.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a smidge of tropical flakes likely a bit more than a teaspoon. Instantly thought that was going to make a mess and started to apologize to my filter floss where much of it will end up. LOL But its done.

No worries in a few hours it will all completely decompose :)

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS guy told me today there was no need to cycle the tank and I could put CUC, coral, and fish all in at the same time when ever I was ready? Meaning when Nitrites come down I think

Ryan T.L.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great teacher you are! Wish I had a teacher like you! Great job!

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hesitant to do this although it was suggested , However we have come to a point where we may have a need in our classroom tank so I thought I would go ahead and make a request for donations if anyone is able or inclined to do so. With the tank being in a classroom and going over a weekend or sometimes up to 3 days over breaks, water evaporation causes salinity spikes. I have been told I need to put an ATO system on the tank and a controller? I am not sure what the cost of these are or what products are of good quality and will meet our needs. If you are able to help or would be willing to we would greatly appreciate support. Thanks for following our classroom build as well as for all the greta knowledge you have already shared.

Streetdoc77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hesitant to do this although it was suggested , However we have come to a point where we may have a need in our classroom tank so I thought I would go ahead and make a request for donations if anyone is able or inclined to do so. With the tank being in a classroom and going over a weekend or sometimes up to 3 days over breaks, water evaporation causes salinity spikes. I have been told I need to put an ATO system on the tank and a controller? I am not sure what the cost of these are or what products are of good quality and will meet our needs. If you are able to help or would be willing to we would greatly appreciate support. Thanks for following our classroom build as well as for all the greta knowledge you have already shared.
First off let me say I think what your doing is great ! Theres nothing better than a hands on approach . Here are a couple of suggestions for an ATO and controller they have both served me well and last . Does the RODI unit that you have access to have a TDS meter attached and are the sentiment filter carbon block Ro membrane and resin changed when needed ? Feel free to PM me your shipping info .

AF59B652-0D1F-440E-BD99-55815AECBA9B.jpeg

A5D4E947-6F63-43AF-98C5-0421CFCFC649.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back