Tank at 83.6!

wwcgroupie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home today and saw my tank at 83.6! I double checked with other Thermostat and they were all about the same. My heater was not warm/on. My tank sets around 80 ( I live in Miami) but ever since I added the UV sterilizer it’s been getting a little warmer. Not sure if it’s just the sterilizer or lights or the additional pump or a combination of all three. I shut the lights and UV off. temp is coming down it’s at 82.2 right now.

any suggestions on how to keep the temperature down?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Came home today and saw my tank at 83.6! I double checked with other Thermostat and they were all about the same. My heater was not warm/on. My tank sets around 80 ( I live in Miami) but ever since I added the UV sterilizer it’s been getting a little warmer. Not sure if it’s just the sterilizer or lights or the additional pump or a combination of all three. I shut the lights and UV off. temp is coming down it’s at 82.2 right now.

any suggestions on how to keep the temperature down?
Add a mini fan to the sump and top of tank (which I do. The only drawback as it reduces heat to your tank, it places it in the room but allows me to lower thermostat in house

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d still have a failsafe on your heaters but if adding the UV light which raised it , you might consider a chiller during the time that the UV is on

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above that placing a fan on the tank will greatly reduce the temp of the tank using evaporation. Just know that you will have more water evaporating so your ATO will need filled up more often, and it will increase the humidity in your house.

OP
OP
W

wwcgroupie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV is always on. I was thinking of running it during the night with the sump light for a few reasons. One it lowers the amount of amps my aquarium pulls at one given time. Most of the algae I want to sterilize free floats at night anyways.
Now I may help with keeps the tank a little cooler

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about turning the temp down on the heaters . Which depending on how cool you keep it in the house should bring it down ! . My heaters are set at 82 degrees to reach and maintain 78 degrees . That’s a 4 degree difference . Are you testing the temp with a separate temp probe ? .

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fan suggestions?
If it can be hidden in a sump than any cheap fan will work. If it has to go on the display and will be visible I would go with one made for aquariums.

OP
OP
W

wwcgroupie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the heater at 78.8 and I’ve never seen it get that Low. It rarely gets cold in Miami. Sometimes at night and even than it tank stays at 79

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the same as I am in Orlando and I’m not having that issue . A side from the possible heater going bad , is your tank up against a outside wall that gets direct sun ? Have you tested The temp in the tank with separate thermometer? Are you seeing or experiencing and problems with the livestock ?

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't run the UV sterilizer, most likely 95% plus do not need one.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiller or fan...

The fan increases evaporation and it is the evaporation itself that actually cools the tank. The bigger the fan, the bigger the effect.

OP
OP
W

wwcgroupie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fan has been working great. I link them To turn on with the LED strips. I also put the UV light on a opposite schedule of the display lights.
Thanks fam !!

Back