Tank birthday, 47+ years

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank had cleared up quite nicely and I can start adding some more corals. Most of the algae is gone and the rest is dying and I will suck it out. Today I also added a temporary light on the algae scrubber to see if it does anything. I also had a small flood. I have been having a lot of floods lately and I am starting to feel like Noah.

I was putting up some sheetrock next to the tank and the sheetrock hit the fitting that comes out of a 7 gallon bucket hanging from the ceiling.
The fitting broke off and the bucket, which was full and started to shoot water all over me and the sheetrock. I had trouble putting down the sheetrock because it was a big piece and I had to wrestle it in the spot to get it there and now water was shooting all over my face so I couldn't see what I was doing. I eventually put down the sheetrock but I was soaked and water continued to pour out of the bucket. I could put my finger on the fitting to stop it but I had nothing to put under it and I didn't want to stay there all night. I let go and ran to get a bucket while the water was shooting out like 3'.
I got the bucket under the hose and collected the rest of the water. Then I got a mop.

The fish are still laughing. :rolleyes:
My tank had cleared up quite nicely and I can start adding some more corals. Most of the algae is gone and the rest is dying and I will suck it out. Today I also added a temporary light on the algae scrubber to see if it does anything. I also had a small flood. I have been having a lot of floods lately and I am starting to feel like Noah.

I was putting up some sheetrock next to the tank and the sheetrock hit the fitting that comes out of a 7 gallon bucket hanging from the ceiling.
The fitting broke off and the bucket, which was full and started to shoot water all over me and the sheetrock. I had trouble putting down the sheetrock because it was a big piece and I had to wrestle it in the spot to get it there and now water was shooting all over my face so I couldn't see what I was doing. I eventually put down the sheetrock but I was soaked and water continued to pour out of the bucket. I could put my finger on the fitting to stop it but I had nothing to put under it and I didn't want to stay there all night. I let go and ran to get a bucket while the water was shooting out like 3'.
I got the bucket under the hose and collected the rest of the water. Then I got a mop.

The fish are still laughing. :rolleyes:
You need to install video cameras in your shop so we can all be laughing!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm Paul, you need some rest friend. You wrote that all out twice...lol.

The most amazing part is that I wrote it exactly the same, word for word. What are the chances? :rolleyes:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most amazing part is that I wrote it exactly the same, word for word. What are the chances? :rolleyes:
lol. I also love it when a hose comes off my eheim 1262 and water nails me in the face! It really makesme mad if my glasses get knocked off

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I had to take my wife to a Neurologist in our old neighborhood so I went to my favorite LFS. I picked up 2 very cool gobies which I have never seen before. I will take pictures when they come out to the front. I also got a pair of bluestripes. The janss pipefish killed my old male bluestripe and these are babies so I may be taking a chance.
My last female died of old age just after I moved here. They only have a lifespan of five years or so.
My algae issue is almost gone and the tank is crystal clear. I will add more corals when I get back to the store. This tank is bigger so I need more livestock.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I had to take my wife to a Neurologist in our old neighborhood so I went to my favorite LFS. I picked up 2 very cool gobies which I have never seen before. I will take pictures when they come out to the front. I also got a pair of bluestripes. The janss pipefish killed my old male bluestripe and these are babies so I may be taking a chance.
My last female died of old age just after I moved here. They only have a lifespan of five years or so.
My algae issue is almost gone and the tank is crystal clear. I will add more corals when I get back to the store. This tank is bigger so I need more livestock.
Sounds good Paul. Looks like I will be following you and moving house in the not to distant future so I have started breaking my tank down. All fish and corals in my mates tank. However it could be quite a while before I get to set up a new tank as I don't fancy trying to take this one with me. The gobies sound interesting and looking forward to seeing pic's of them. Hope your wife is doing well.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, Where have you been?
My tank move went well and I didn't lose anything. I bought a larger tank and filled it from the sea. I did have some algae, but it is almost gone now. :D

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, Where have you been?
My tank move went well and I didn't lose anything. I bought a larger tank and filled it from the sea. I did have some algae, but it is almost gone now. :D
Long story Paul but it involves a new girlfriend of 6 months. Say no more. However while we were on holiday a few months back my tank suffered a partial wipe out when my ATU decided to dump a load of kalk into the tank with the resulting spike in PH. [emoji23] I think she is a jinks [emoji6] Why oh why do these things happen when you go away? My friend who was popping in to keep an eye on things rescued what he could and still has them.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is to bad. I know how that I as I always have accidents with the tank while I am gone. We have a few long trips planned and I don't yet have anyone to watch the tank because my tank sitter Supermodel still lives in my old neighborhood and won't drive 60 miles every day to feed my fish. Go figure. I will have to figure this out or bring the tank to the Caribbean with me. :confused:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is to bad. I know how that I as I always have accidents with the tank while I am gone. We have a few long trips planned and I don't yet have anyone to watch the tank because my tank sitter Supermodel still lives in my old neighborhood and won't drive 60 miles every day to feed my fish. Go figure. I will have to figure this out or bring the tank to the Caribbean with me. :confused:
These things happen. I did a good maintenance and check everything a couple of days before we left and everything was fine. It just hung on till we had left before malfunctioning. [emoji23]

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see my bluestripe pipefish frolicking around but I have yet to see my new "Gecko Gobies" I read that they live up side down in caves but they are really hiding and may be in a bottle. I know they didn't jump out so I know they are in there some place.
Since I moved I have not hatched brine shrimp or fed live blackworms. I have to drive fairly far to get them but I still have my white worms which I feed a few times a week. I may start hatching shrimp soon but that part of my ManCave/workshop/fishroom is not completed yet.
Tomorrow we are getting the Grand Kids for a few days so I have to find that sunken ship they gave me that opens and closes with bubbles. :confused:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hair algae in my tank (from my tank move and all new NSW) is coming off in big clumps so I can easily suck it out. If I had time (I am watching the Grand Kids) I would start my diatom filter and get it all sucked out before it dies and rots all over the place. But I don't see that happening for a few days.
After it is all out I may change some water. "Not" changing water is what is killing the algae. After this phase, the tank will be much better looking and healthier as hair algae is the best water purifier there is. When you remove it, you also remove whatever was making it grow but another benefit is that the algae somehow add beneficial elements to the water (I didn't make that up but I forgot who did) If you keep changing water when you have nuisance algae, it will keep growing. Look at how much water people change to eliminate it and it doesn't work.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hair algae in my tank (from my tank move and all new NSW) is coming off in big clumps so I can easily suck it out. If I had time (I am watching the Grand Kids) I would start my diatom filter and get it all sucked out before it dies and rots all over the place. But I don't see that happening for a few days.
After it is all out I may change some water. "Not" changing water is what is killing the algae. After this phase, the tank will be much better looking and healthier as hair algae is the best water purifier there is. When you remove it, you also remove whatever was making it grow but another benefit is that the algae somehow add beneficial elements to the water (I didn't make that up but I forgot who did) If you keep changing water when you have nuisance algae, it will keep growing. Look at how much water people change to eliminate it and it doesn't work.
I have to do water changes or dose iron to keep my algae growing. Not sure why people would think water changes would help get rid of algae. Now vacuuming out some sludge with the water might help......

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to do water changes or dose iron to keep my algae growing. Not sure why people would think water changes would help get rid of algae. Now vacuuming out some sludge with the water might help......
But, but, but.......
that 1/8" of detritus on my bare bottom tank is my new sand bed.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back