Tank birthday, 47+ years

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was eating the other one while I was taking the picture. :rolleyes:
This is farm country all that stuff was grown right here. Including the clams. :D

I am jealous that you guys can take a walk on a sandy bottom and harvest clams: pods, ghost shrimp and clams. It is like having a money tree, except you can’t eat the money.

Good morning Paul.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can handle the wading pond. The last picture with lighthouse being engulfed by a wave, I have done that on a drillship in a hurricane. Normally, when it is rough, I get seasick. When it is that rough, I get scared and exhilarated at the same time.

Paul, I would love to go collecting with you. Would eating some of what we collect be a component of the fellowship. I know you are a good cook, because everyone is smiling at the dinner table as the fish wait on scraps.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how you know they are fresh. :rolleyes:
My family have been in the fish business since Moses walked across the desert with a frozen box of Mrs. Pauls Fish sticks and I grew up around fish, mostly dead fish. I had an uncle that would walk with me on the beach and anything that moved, he ate, alive like M&Ms. The man lived into his 90s and never, not once saw a doctor, dentist (or paid taxes)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bluestripe pipefish is more pregnant than I have ever seen a pipefish and I assume that either last night or tonight should be their birthday. I will look at the tank before the lights come on with a flashlight to see if I can find any fry.

The weird thing is the female bluestripe thinks she is mated with the much larger Janss pipefish as they spend all their time together while the poor pregnant male sulks in a hole waiting to give birth.

Here are the pipefish, the male is pregnant but this was a different pregnancy and he is much more pregnant now.

This is the Janss when I got him about a year ago. He looks sad. Now his colors are fluorescent looking and very bright and he has little protrusions on him like a sturgeon. A really nice looking fish which is probably why the female bluestripe dumped her old man.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bluestripe pipefish is more pregnant than I have ever seen a pipefish and I assume that either last night or tonight should be their birthday. I will look at the tank before the lights come on with a flashlight to see if I can find any fry.

The weird thing is the female bluestripe thinks she is mated with the much larger Janss pipefish as they spend all their time together while the poor pregnant male sulks in a hole waiting to give birth.

Here are the pipefish, the male is pregnant but this was a different pregnancy and he is much more pregnant now.

This is the Janss when I got him about a year ago. He looks sad. Now his colors are fluorescent looking and very bright and he has little protrusions on him like a sturgeon. A really nice looking fish which is probably why the female bluestripe dumped her old man.

Sounds like “two timing” to me. Sounds like your tanks are past the “move upset” phase.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so. They didn't get much "Move Upseting". :D

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick, you really need to move closer so we can go collecting. :rolleyes:

The water is a little rough this time of the year.

Patrick, you really need to move closer so we can go collecting. :rolleyes:

The water is a little rough this time of the year.

I will be on Pittsburg area for ten days in November with my oldest brother. I also have family in Patchogue and in the Hamptons. We will connect.

Today, I am going to buy a 3 lb bag of live black mussels and treat my reef tank with a few. The rest will help make a stock for a shrimp creole recipe using a tomatoe base.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown gobi is all healed, no spots, no rashes, no hives, nothing but bright yellow. And I didn't have to fresh water dip her, prixapro, chloriquin sulfate, or shut his lights off. He (or she) is fine and will live out her life for another 8 or 9 years in Bliss. :rolleyes:

Of course if I would have quarantined her, then put her in a hospital tank, the ich would have gotten worse, then I would have had to put her on life support and go on the disease forum (God forbid) then a few days later she would have croaked and I would have had to blame the store, wholesaler, shipper or the poor guy in the canoe who collected her. :eek:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown gobi is all healed, no spots, no rashes, no hives, nothing but bright yellow. And I didn't have to fresh water dip her, prixapro, chloriquin sulfate, or shut his lights off. He (or she) is fine and will live out her life for another 8 or 9 years in Bliss. :rolleyes:

Of course if I would have quarantined her, then put her in a hospital tank, the ich would have gotten worse, then I would have had to put her on life support and go on the disease forum (God forbid) then a few days later she would have croaked and I would have had to blame the store, wholesaler, shipper or the poor guy in the canoe who collected her. :eek:
That was a close call Paul you could have induced more stress and lost the little fella out of kindness giving it a concoction of drugs. Even if it had survived the onslaught of medication it would probably have been a smackhead for life harrising the other fish for drugs. Next thing you know it would be hitting hard stuff like copper sulphate and causing it a slow agonising death. But seeing you didn't manage to kill it and introduced a killer disease all your other fish are doomed and will be wiped out. Hiw do I know this? Well the experts tell me so so it must be true.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally beside myself that people in this hobby still get sick fish and have to medicate, quarantine and all that, then the fish croaks.
I hope eventually, before I croak anyway that hobbyists learn the easy way to avoid all that so we don't have to collect so many fish from the sea.
I really hate to see all these fish dying in such a short time, the majority of them in a month or two. It is very disappointing and there is no need for it.

Lucky for me no one reads my thread so I won't get yelled at as I am to old and hard headed for that. :rolleyes:

If I put that in a separate thread people would throw dead jellyfish at my house while using harsh language. :confused:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am totally beside myself that people in this hobby still get sick fish and have to medicate, quarantine and all that, then the fish croaks.
I hope eventually, before I croak anyway that hobbyists learn the easy way to avoid all that so we don't have to collect so many fish from the sea.
I really hate to see all these fish dying in such a short time, the majority of them in a month or two. It is very disappointing and there is no need for it.

Lucky for me no one reads my thread so I won't get yelled at as I am to old and hard headed for that. :rolleyes:

If I put that in a separate thread people would throw dead jellyfish at my house while using harsh language. :confused:
Now now Paul stop upsetting the "experts" you must know how much they hate how you keep your fish exposing them to all those deadly parasites which sooner or later will wipe out your tank. Just might take a little longer than some. Just think of all those poor aquatic companies who sell lots of different poisons to I mean cures to rid your aquarium of those evil killers. Christmas is coming and they need to sell lots and lots of those expensive winder elixir potions to put a turkey on the table and buy lots of expensive but often useless presents and your not helping one little bit. I hope you are thoroughly ashamed of yourself. Now go and read about all those lovely itch etc cures and say how sorry and misguided you are. Tut tut.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now now Paul stop upsetting the "experts" you must know how much they hate how you keep your fish exposing them to all those deadly parasites which sooner or later will wipe out your tank. Just might take a little longer than some. Just think of all those poor aquatic companies who sell lots of different poisons to I mean cures to rid your aquarium of those evil killers. Christmas is coming and they need to sell lots and lots of those expensive winder elixir potions to put a turkey on the table and buy lots of expensive but often useless presents and your not helping one little bit. I hope you are thoroughly ashamed of yourself. Now go and read about all those lovely itch etc cures and say how sorry and misguided you are. Tut tut.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just yesterday on the news there was a story about children's allergies specifically to peanuts. My Grand Daughter is severely allergic to them. Peanut allergies rose three hundred percent since the 1970s. The surgeon General attributes that to parents keeping their kids away from dirt and other things in their diet. It's the same with fish. If you keep their tank sterile with no parasites or diseases you are dooming those fish to a life of non immunity which leads to a much shorter life. :rolleyes:

I hate to keep beating a dead horse and we only have live horses around here but it is so simple, cheap, and makes sense.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peanut allergies rose three hundred percent since the 1970s. The surgeon General attributes that to parents keeping their kids away from dirt and other things i9n their diet.
I attribute it to Jimmy Carter. ;Wideyed

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back