Tank birthday, 47+ years

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks GBRsouth. That was a long time ago in another world. :cool:
How is Australia? I haven't been there in 50 years. Loved the place. :)

We did have some of you guys there with us.

We're going pretty good over here Paul. It's changed a lot in those fifty years though! The Aussies that were with you over there are mostly from the generation before me. (I was just a toddler then.) Much respect to all of you for what you all had to endure. May it never have to happen again.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are getting quite a bit of snow and we expect another 8 or 10"
We took one of the Jeeps and went to the beach. The roads are not plowed yet, just as I like them and I wanted to try out my new all terrain tires. You can't make this Jeep slip if you tried.

Big muddy waves were crashing on the snow.
Snowy road.jpeg
Snowy beach.jpeg

Beach in snow.jpeg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crazy part is that there are actually living things in those waters. You would think that the cold water the unbelievable surf action and such would do the creatures there in. Come summer time though everything will still be there.

I am glad you posted these pictures. No one believes me when I post my pictures of the actual reefs and it looks something like this only no snow and not cold.

Can you imagine being a fish trying to find food in that!

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't freely give my respect to anyone. Do not mistake respect with cordiality. I'm cordial with most people until they show themselves to be unworthy of even that.

Going to war or not does not make someone a "sissy". People come from different walks of life, as an elder, I feel like your wisdom should teach you that. People went to school instead of war, it doesn't mean they are less than. It means those are the people that are going to hopefully lead the gov' in the correct direction.

We are tired of forever wars, I don't know anyone that doesn't have respect for WW2 vets and I'm sure that's not even a real thing. Stop generalizing based on your own bubble of thoughts.

People don't respect police because alot don't deserve the respect they try to force out of you. I won't even get into this, most are probably OK. But alot are just power hungry, corrupted by "absolute" power. Meh.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hincapiej4,. Nice to meet you and I like it when someone calls me out on something I said. I assume you are talking about this line that I wrote.

Lawyers didn't get drafted because they were in college with the Sissies instead of fighting for their country.
Some of my friends didn't get drafted just because it wasn't their time. They are not Sissies. Lawyers are also not Sissies nor are college students. In "that" context I was talking about people who went to college "for the sole purpose" of not getting drafted and didn't care about college at all. In those days most people didn't go to college, unlike today where almost everyone goes.

So, yes, I feel if you went to college or Canada "just to get out of the draft", you were or are a Sissy.

Most of us people who served did not like the idea of college deferments. If you were lucky or wealthy enough to go to college, you could fight for your country and go to college (for free) when you got out in 2 years.

It means those are the people that are going to hopefully lead the gov' in the correct direction.
Many people, including me believe that if you want to be President, you should have served your country because you are trying to be The Commander in Chief and as such, should have an understanding of what you are commanding.

You have no obligation to respect me as that is not my goal on a fish site. You also do not have to read my posts as I know many people, or most people don't.
Have a nice day and stay safe.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hincapiej4,. Nice to meet you and I like it when someone calls me out on something I said. I assume you are talking about this line that I wrote.

Some of my friends didn't get drafted just because it wasn't their time. They are not Sissies. Lawyers are also not Sissies nor are college students. In "that" context I was talking about people who went to college "for the sole purpose" of not getting drafted and didn't care about college at all. In those days most people didn't go to college, unlike today where almost everyone goes.

So, yes, I feel if you went to college or Canada "just to get out of the draft", you were or are a Sissy.

Most of us people who served did not like the idea of college deferments. If you were lucky or wealthy enough to go to college, you could fight for your country and go to college (for free) when you got out in 2 years.

Many people, including me believe that if you want to be President, you should have served your country because you are trying to be The Commander in Chief and as such, should have an understanding of what you are commanding.

You have no obligation to respect me as that is not my goal on a fish site. You also do not have to read my posts as I know many people, or most people don't.
Have a nice day and stay safe.

Don't get me wrong, I like your posts. I'm just giving my opinion as we are all free to do.

You were also speaking generally about respect these days etc. Again, giving my opinion.

I am currently trying to teach my little boy to answer with "Sir?" and "Ma'am", or "Yes?" when called. It's more of a manners thing, less respect. I don't expect my boy to respect me, but I earn it every day he's with me.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course we are, and I respect your opinion. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't always believe I am correct. I know I am opinionated and many times have a huge difference of opinion from many people including of course how I feel reef tanks should be run.

During the Viet Nam War there were way more riots than now and that was because of the exact same thing we are discussing in these last few posts.

Almost half the country has a difference of opinion now about politics which, rightly we we can't discuss here. And I don't want to. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teaching your boy to say Sir, Mam, please etc is a fantastic thing to do and is really your job as a Dad as I taught our Daughter and try with the Grand Kids.

I also think he should respect you as a Dad and an elder. The fact that you are teaching him, supporting him, feeding him etc should command respect. I know my Daughter Respects me and she is 42.

Of course if you were a dirtbag and lousy Father he would lose that respect rightly so.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this respect thing and I do respect some people even though I didn't know them very well just because of their actions.

I served with a guy named Peter lemon in Nam. We were on a smallish firebase (Large clearing in the jungle) and got attacked by 400 NVA. (North Viet Nam Communist troops)

We were outnumbered 3 to 1. Peter, who I really didn't know well at all went way above and beyond and for that he received the "Congressional Medal of Honor". The highest award you can get in the us for battle.

I was there and I know what he did and I will always respect him even though he probably doesn't know me from a hole in the wall.
They talk about him here in the second half of this story about that battle.
They wrote a book about this battle and I sometimes speak on it on Veterans Day

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I served with a guy named Peter lemon in Nam. We were on a smallish firebase (Large clearing in the jungle) and got attacked by 400 NVA. (North Viet Nam Communist troops)

We were outnumbered 3 to 1. Peter, who I really didn't know well at all went way above and beyond and for that he received the "Congressional Medal of Honor". The highest award you can get in the us for battle.

I was there and I know what he did and I will always respect him even though he probably doesn't know me from a hole in the wall.
They talk about him here in the second half of this story about that battle.
They wrote a book about this battle and I sometimes speak on it on Veterans Day
For those who are interested, this is his citation.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Lemon (then Sp4), Company E, distinguished himself while serving as an assistant machine gunner during the defense of Fire Support Base Illingworth. When the base came under heavy enemy attack, Sgt. Lemon engaged a numerically superior enemy with machine gun and rifle fire from his defensive position until both weapons malfunctioned. He then used hand grenades to fend off the intensified enemy attack launched in his direction. After eliminating all but 1 of the enemy soldiers in the immediate vicinity, he pursued and disposed of the remaining soldier in hand-to-hand combat. Despite fragment wounds from an exploding grenade, Sgt. Lemon regained his position, carried a more seriously wounded comrade to an aid station, and, as he returned, was wounded a second time by enemy fire. Disregarding his personal injuries, he moved to his position through a hail of small arms and grenade fire. Sgt. Lemon immediately realized that the defensive sector was in danger of being overrun by the enemy and unhesitatingly assaulted the enemy soldiers by throwing hand grenades and engaging in hand-to-hand combat. He was wounded yet a third time, but his determined efforts successfully drove the enemy from the position. Securing an operable machine gun, Sgt. Lemon stood atop an embankment fully exposed to enemy fire, and placed effective fire upon the enemy until he collapsed from his multiple wounds and exhaustion. After regaining consciousness at the aid station, he refused medical evacuation until his more seriously wounded comrades had been evacuated. Sgt. Lemon's gallantry and extraordinary heroism, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Lemon (then Sp4), Company E, distinguished himself while serving as an assistant machine gunner during the defense of Fire Support Base Illingworth. When the base came under heavy enemy attack, Sgt. Lemon engaged a numerically superior enemy with machine gun and rifle fire from his defensive position until both weapons malfunctioned. He then used hand grenades to fend off the intensified enemy attack launched in his direction. After eliminating all but 1 of the enemy soldiers in the immediate vicinity, he pursued and disposed of the remaining soldier in hand-to-hand combat. Despite fragment wounds from an exploding grenade, Sgt. Lemon regained his position, carried a more seriously wounded comrade to an aid station, and, as he returned, was wounded a second time by enemy fire. Disregarding his personal injuries, he moved to his position through a hail of small arms and grenade fire. Sgt. Lemon immediately realized that the defensive sector was in danger of being overrun by the enemy and unhesitatingly assaulted the enemy soldiers by throwing hand grenades and engaging in hand-to-hand combat. He was wounded yet a third time, but his determined efforts successfully drove the enemy from the position. Securing an operable machine gun, Sgt. Lemon stood atop an embankment fully exposed to enemy fire, and placed effective fire upon the enemy until he collapsed from his multiple wounds and exhaustion. After regaining consciousness at the aid station, he refused medical evacuation until his more seriously wounded comrades had been evacuated. Sgt. Lemon's gallantry and extraordinary heroism, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the U.S. Army.
If only we could be that brave!

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo's Aquatics, I was surprised to see you here on my thread. I haven't seen you in a while.
Could all be.
You never know what you will do in that situation. You may be surprised.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back