OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I dress for all Veterans Days. I wore this shirt in the States before I went to Nam. (they wouldn't let us take anything home from there)
It's over 50 years old.

Now that I lost 25 lbs, it even fits. :)

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respect Paul.
0_JS197688582.jpg

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Canada, this is Remembrance Day. It is a day to remember all of those who died while proudly and courageously serving our Country. We wear a poppy to symbolize our remembrance. The poppy comes from a poem written by a Canadian military doctor during WWI.

In Flanders Fields​

By John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to move some more corals around after my partial re-aquascape because some of them ended up facing down or in the back of the tank. I removed some to remove encrusting sponge and under the sponge is loaded with amphipods. (not copepods that are all over the place)

The amphipods I added from the sea a few years ago and I am glad to see they are still reproducing. I can't really collect them easily here but I am always looking for collection places.

I like the new look of my tank as it is more open and I can see all the way to the back in many places including most places under the reef because very little of it is actually resting on the gravel which is the design I was going for when I built the new back bone rock before I moved here.

My gorgonians filled the tank and are all over the place reaching up almost out of the water which I am happy about.

I think the fish are also happy because I have been finding fish in there I didn't even remember I had. :oops:

Fish can, and do hide in my tank for months. My Janss pipefish is still kicking and I think way past his lifespan. :)

Yesterday I got ambitious and collected and changed about 30 more gallons of NSW. I just like collecting the stuff because it is right down the block and on a beautiful beach.

I also thought this urchin was going to croak due to the poisons from the sponge but he may just have had an upset stomach because he is fine.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got ambitious and collected and changed about 30 more gallons of NSW. I just like collecting the stuff because it is right down the block and on a beautiful beach.
north shore? throw out a lure..should be lots of activity right about now withe stripers,blues..

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. The last time I collected water, a couple of days ago I brought it home and pumped it into a huge vat to filter and heat. The sea was very rough that day and I collected it right from the surf so it was very murky, loaded with sand, seaweed etc. and I could only see a few inches into it.

As I cleaned it up with my diatom filter, I thought I saw something swimming around, occasionally getting near the surface.

After it was crystal clear I saw it clearly. It was a mole crab. I never saw one on the Sound but they are very common sough on our ocean beaches.

I didn't want to go back to the water to throw him back in so I put him in my tank. They don't live long in a tank and I haven't seen him since then but very cool animals.

If you never saw one, they are the size of a jelly bean or a little bigger and the same shape. They are also white or slightly beige. They live right where the waves crash and after each crash, bury into the sand.

Very cool but I get a headache watching them. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. The last time I collected water, a couple of days ago I brought it home and pumped it into a huge vat to filter and heat. The sea was very rough that day and I collected it right from the surf so it was very murky, loaded with sand, seaweed etc. and I could only see a few inches into it.

As I cleaned it up with my diatom filter, I thought I saw something swimming around, occasionally getting near the surface.

After it was crystal clear I saw it clearly. It was a mole. I never saw one on the Sound but they are very common sough on our ocean beaches.

I didn't want to go back to the water to throw him back in so I put him in my tank. They don't live long in a tank and I haven't seen him since then but very cool animals.

If you never saw one, they are the size of a jelly bean or a little bigger and the same shape. They are also white or slightly beige. They live right where the waves crash and after each crash, bury into the sand.

Too warm, not enough oxygen or not the right food possibly.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, all three of those things although I am sure there is plenty of food in my tank.

My tank is doing very well (sorry I don't have any problems or diseases to report, but maybe some day, I hope not) :rolleyes:

Soon I need to buy more clams to feed. Now I buy them frozen in a pint from a bait store. It is just easier. About ten bucks worth is good for about 6 months. My fish, especially my copperband thinks he died and went to "Chicken of the Sea" where all fish swim around doing the macarana. :cool:

(In your case Atoll, they swim around listening to old Beatles songs. Maybe Yellow Submarine. :p)

My "water leveling device" I built for my skimmer didn't work exactly as I wanted so I am designing another one. The last one allowed to much water to enter the skimmer so it kept overflowing. I need a much higher container which I can't find and may have to build one out of plexiglass.

I have a 4" acrylic cylinder with a bottom that I built for something years ago but I can't remember what it was for. Looks like some type of reactor. I may use that for what I want but I need to change my design for a cylindrical container instead of rectangular.

I drew a sketch for what to do with it and when I get time I will build it and test it out before I actually install it permanently.

We have some trips planned so I will need to get a tank sitter for a few days. I have some prospects but I know no one anywhere near here that knows anything about fish except how to eat them. :oops:

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After it was crystal clear I saw it clearly. It was a mole crab. I never saw one on the Sound but they are very common sough on our ocean beaches.

Down here we call 'em = sand fleas...or also known as mole crabs...great fish bait , btw ...

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the correct food for it Paul.not no food as zi am sure you have lots of food but perhaps the wrong type for it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, I feed everything in my tank what I eat. Linguine and clams. :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am playing with the camera.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B

Let me get this straight: you removed a lot of sponges which caused them to released toxins into your tank, killing some corals and fish?

In addition to the water changes, couldn’t you have also ran activated carbon? I think it would work much better in absorbing toxins.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back