View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is college overrated?
This is what I have always been saying. :p

May be an image of 2 people and people standing

Anthony TolesThe Real Milwaukee's Street News

The guy on the left has a Bachelor’s degree & Law degree. He owes over $250,000 in student loans. He works for the Law where he earns $130,000 annually.​

The guy on the right is a high school graduate. He has no college education. He works as an Electric Lineman. He owes zero in student loans, and he earns $160,000 annually.​

Teach your kids about skilled trades and alternative options to make a good income & have low debt. IT’S NOT ALWAYS ABOUT HAVING A DEGREE.​

What this also doesn't say is that the guy on the right gets free medical for the rest of his life, he gets home from work about 3:30 and has a nice pension that his wife will probably get when he dies. He also has a definite retirement day

The guy on the left gets nothing and will probably work until he croaks :rolleyes:

3ca0f0ca6dfe65c48fbb9bd5d145fa26.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Education has nothing to do with intelligence. :)
I know some very educated people from Neurologists, to biologists, scientists, surgeons and professors.

I don't think any one of them know how to change a tire, but I have a cousin marine biologist professor who looks in my tank and has no idea what those things swimming around are, but he can name any worm, common name, Latin name and the name it's parents gave it. :rolleyes:

Abraham Lincoln didn't go to college and seemed to do alright to me. I also feel, and it is only my opinion from being old and knowing a lot of people that the more "formal" education you have, the less creativity you have. Not intelligence, but creativity. Just an observation.

Steve Jobs, ($10.000.000.000.00 ) Bill Gates, ($148,124,000.000.00 give or take a few bucks) ) Zuckerburg never finished college as did some of the wealthiest people in the world as well as rich entertainers like Ellen Degerers ($400.000.000.00) She is relatively poor. :p

Larry Ellison ($61,100,000,000.37) (I may have added to many zeros to these figures, I haven't gotten a check for a billion dollars in quite a while. )

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Education has nothing to do with intelligence. :)
I know some very educated people from Neurologists, to biologists, scientists, surgeons and professors.

I don't think any one of them know how to change a tire, but I have a cousin marine biologist professor who looks in my tank and has no idea what those things swimming around are, but he can name any worm, common name, Latin name and the name it's parents gave it. :rolleyes:

Abraham Lincoln didn't go to college and seemed to do alright to me. I also feel, and it is only my opinion from being old and knowing a lot of people that the more "formal" education you have, the less creativity you have. Not intelligence, but creativity. Just an observation.

Paul the world if full of intelligent idiots. You can get a degree in almost anything but they don't have degrees in common sense for a reason.
Life is the best education you will ever get. You will learn from your mistakes and successes. If you experiment, think outside the box and question everything rather than just accept what you are told then you will have a fertile mind and the best education you will ever get.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the US you can take a course in Beyonce. No really, Beyonce. The singer. :oops:

Thats got to carry a lot of weight on a resume. I mean, I like Beyonce, but I don't want to take a course on her.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the US you can take a course in Beyonce. No really, Beyonce. The singer. :oops:

Thats got to carry a lot of weight on a resume. I mean, I like Beyonce, but I don't want to take a course on her.
Try these you can get here in the UK.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family has 9 degrees among us. The grandkids don't have any yet.
What a bunch of dummies.

Education like most things in life depends on what you do with it and means nothing in and of itself.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small section of my sump and yes just after my skimmer. No.prefoltration at all, IMO they would be detrimental to my reef. Lots of various worms attached to the glass.
20211102_142904.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats cool. Today I shut off my 5' tall skimmer and looked down through it from the top. Using a ladder of course. About an inch from the sides all the way down is a jungle of tube worms. I like them and may leave them there. I am not sure how to clean the thing and still keep them alive during my modification.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched a very interesting programme here in wales UK. In one part a lady is breeding native seahorses with the intention of releasing many onto the wild.

The lady scientist explained how she goes about breeding them and stated to get them to breed she replicates it's important to recreate their natural environment You need to create a environment so they feel comfortable in their surroundings and be happy then they will do what comes natural and breed.

For some of us this is nothing new when it comes to keeping our animals content in the environment we create for them. Create the right conditions, feed the right foods and have happy animals and try and stop them.breeding, well.you need pairs etc but nature will do the rest.

It use to be said breeding marines was exceedingly difficult or impossible. That is nonsense as many fish we keep will happily breed for us providing we follow mother nature as much as possible.

I have also just been watching the courtship of my Royal grammas,damsels and dwarf angels. All happy fish it seems.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, you and I both know that fish spawn constantly and if they are not, they are not healthy. Here my local caught seahorses are transferring eggs to the male. I used to collect these all the time and raise them. They are fairly common here in New York but for the life of me I have no idea how they handle the winters here.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, you and I both know that fish spawn constantly and if they are not, they are not healthy. Here my local caught seahorses are transferring eggs to the male. I used to collect these all the time and raise them. They are fairly common here in New York but for the life of me I have no idea how they handle the winters here.

This is true Paul unless we are taking fish like tangs and large angles in most aquariums.
I guess you seahorses either migrate or more likely are able to adjust to the cooler temperatures in winter.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of replacing the HOB bracket on my DIY skimmer as it is wood and rotting. I quickly devised it when I moved here but it needs changing.

The old one looks like this.
Wood Skimmer bracket.jpg

The one I just made looks like this.
Skimmer bracket..jpg

It is built out of stainless steel and a "Bandit barrier" which is the 1 1/4" plexiglass that they put in front of bank tellers to prevent bank robberies. The last time I robbed a bank,,,,,,,I mean the last time I demolished a bank in New York I took home some of the stuff and have used it over the years mainly for making brackets.

I also used some of it on my boat. Great stuff and will last longer than the pyramids.

Of course I am also going to re design the skimmer so the water level is fixed and I will never have to adjust it using this.

Skimmer top.jpg

I need an entire day to do all this because when I remove the skimmer I may chop out most of the tube worm growth inside.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 4". The o
Skimmer (2).jpg
utside dimensions are 4 1/8". I think it's about 5' tall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family has 9 degrees among us.
My Daughter has more degrees than a thermometer and she called me once to ask me how to wash a car. I told her to get my money back from Fordham. :cool:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back