Tank birthday, 47+ years

BillFish Coral Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dinos will burn themselves out just needs a bit of time. You can speed the process up by playing them so jitterbug, 50s rock and roll and the like but not a slow walts.
“Burn themselves out,” he says. Tell that to the Ostreopsis Ovata I fought, futilely, for more than two years, and which forced me to scrap my tank. Droll, very droll.

I hope yours are more compliant. I didn’t have the local sauerkraut water to add to mine.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always love your comments on the medical things going on, very well put :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I am very lucky that all my surgeries were for silly things like broken bones and tears. No Gall bladders or anything like that.

If you get to my age and didn't break a bunch of bones and tear most of your tendons and muscles, you didn't do enough in your life and maybe you need to go out bungee jumping, hang gliding or do some backflips on the wing of a biplane. You know, Manly stuff. You won't get hurt texting, or have much fun. :p

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Burn themselves out,” he says. Tell that to the Ostreopsis Ovata I fought, futilely, for more than two years, and which forced me to scrap my tank. Droll, very droll.

I hope yours are more compliant. I didn’t have the local sauerkraut water to add to mine.
Had them but disappeared after a short while. Think my Oxydator may have speeded it up.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very lucky that all my surgeries were for silly things like broken bones and tears. No Gall bladders or anything like that.

If you get to my age and didn't break a bunch of bones and tear most of your tendons and muscles, you didn't do enough in your life and maybe you need to go out bungee jumping, hang gliding or do some backflips on the wing of a biplane. You know, Manly stuff. You won't get hurt texting, or have much fun. :p
Riding motorbikes for a good period of your life will ensure you get plenty of knocks and brakes. I have done my side, wrist and shoulder all other people's faults not mine. Had a few cuts and bruises working on site as well.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great Manly stuff. I was in 2 Helicopter crashes which also woke me up but at 20 years old, I didn't break anything as it is hard to hurt a muscled 20 year old with an attitude. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these guys are spawning in the back of the tank. Possum wrasse is watching
Spawning Hectors.JPG

Sunburst and urchin.JPG

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday morning at 6:15 I walked down to the beach with a bucket. I knew it would be low tide at 7:30 and I was early but thats when I do my morning walks. I also like to watch the sunrise before the rest of the world gets up and I get back home when most people are still sleeping.

The tide was somewhat low and there were exposed rocks at the shore so I decided to try to collect.
The first rock I lifted surprised me with hundreds of amphipods which I quickly swirled in a bucket of sea water. Then another and another. In 5 minutes I had thousands of amphipods and I assume millions of "free" copepods along with healthy mud full of bacteria.

I strained out most of the very fine mud and seaweed but kept everything else. I put it all in a small container and submerged it in my tank. I did that because I didn't want all the rocks and gravel I collected, just the bacteria and pods.

For hours they left the container and darted all over the tank. I also "shot" a bunch of the larger, "breeder" amphipods with eggs into my reverse undergravel filter where they will spawn. Even though these amphipods are from New York, they continuously spawn in my tank. I still find them from last year under the rocks. They make excellent scavengers and fish food and the bacteria keeps the tank healthy.

I took pictures and video's but I can't access those on this computer. When I get a minute, I will download them. I also twisted my ankle yesterday helping out a friend and between that and my broken shoulder, it takes me a little time to do some things right now. :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the sunrise yesterday when I went to the beach to collect amphipods.
sUNRISE.JPG

This is how I put the amphipds, copepods and bacteria in my tank. You can see some in there but there were thousands. I have a video but it is sideways and I don't know how to put it on U Tube like that.
aMPHIPODS.JPG

aMPHIPODS.JPG

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night we again had a bunch of people over for dinner and I wanted to re create the dinner I made a couple of weeks ago because living on Long Island most people eat sea food.

I made bruschetta for appetizers with a balsamic reduction on home made Ciabatta bread with garden tomatoes and home made Mozzarella.
I baked 3 loaves of Ciabatta bread
(I didn't make the Mozzarella, a farm stand here made it. ) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Brochetta.jpeg

Garlic bread.

Garlic Bread.jpeg

Pan seared fresh Calamari.

Calamari .jpeg

I put that over linguine with fresh home made Pesto sauce. I grew the parsley and tomatoes.

Ciabatta Bread.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have home grown pods. But they are in the sea behind my house. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back