OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took another amphipod hunting video early this morning just because the last video I took doesn't work for some reason. When I get time I will see if this one works.

I won't be able to get down there for a month or so now as I have other things I need to do least of which is get a new shoulder and being those amphipods are heavy, I won't be able to pick them up. :oops:

I already have to many amphipods so these I will keep in a small tank as "pets". :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a week or so I need to do a water change. I am not a big water change freak but my tank is now filled with ASW so I could eliminate invasive sponge which I did but now I want to get rid of this fake water and put in real seawater. Soon I will have my shoulder replaced and I won't be able to use that arm for a couple of months and the water in my tank now is full of dying sponge chemicals so it is making way to many diatoms.

It will be very difficult to collect water now because I need to do it 100% with pumps as I can't lift it just now.
I will hopefully have some help in a week or two. :)

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul, so i am about to build your blackworm breeding apparatus, just got a couple of questions.
I've kept blackworms before in a plastic 5 lt container with spongefilter and airbubbler and that worked well for a while and then it crashed. Tried 2 more times after and both crashed immediately.
So when i look at your drawing you got carbon in the tube at the end of the trough, is that just to keep waterquality better?
If i understood right, you keep the worms in the trough inbetween the egg crate?...and sometimes they overflow in the main tank.
How often do you change water or do you just top up?

Thanks, looking forward to see how its going to work out

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kmst80, good morning. You have to cycle that worm enclosure just like a fish tank or as you found out, it will crash in hours. If you can find something like a brick, cement or rocks in a pond or stream, that would be great for bacteria. In lieu of that, you need to fill that container and put some food in there like some worms or a piece of clam or shrimp and let it rot. Then add more. It may tank a few weeks to build up bacteria to clean the water.

I didn't use a sponge because the worms will get in that and you can't get them out. They will also get in that carbon but not to many can fit in there so you won't lose many.

The worms need very shallow, moving water. A quarter inch is deep enough as the worms have access to oxygen like that.

Try to build barriers in the trough that keep the worms in there but the ones that get into the tank below can be "rescued" with a baster.
If it is cycled enough the worms can live a very long time.

I don't use black worms any more because I can't get them here so I raise white worms now.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't see it well in the video but after I lift a rock, I just rub my hand over the bottom of the rock, and the amphipods stick to my hand. When I want a lot more amphipods, I bring a larger bucket and swirl the rocks in the bucket. That way I get them all.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info Paul B
I’ve just started using natural sea water today for my water changes. Theses were my test results before use
Ph 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrate trace
Phosphate 0
Calcium 420
Mag 1290
Alk 7
Sg 1.027 a little high but it hasn’t rained for about 5 weeks easily adjusted with rodi water
All theses tests done with salfert test kits and sg done with refractometer

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity in the Long Island Sound varies greatly. It was 15 when I collected these amphipods.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kmst80, good morning. You have to cycle that worm enclosure just like a fish tank or as you found out, it will crash in hours. If you can find something like a brick, cement or rocks in a pond or stream, that would be great for bacteria. In lieu of that, you need to fill that container and put some food in there like some worms or a piece of clam or shrimp and let it rot. Then add more. It may tank a few weeks to build up bacteria to clean the water.

I didn't use a sponge because the worms will get in that and you can't get them out. They will also get in that carbon but not to many can fit in there so you won't lose many.

The worms need very shallow, moving water. A quarter inch is deep enough as the worms have access to oxygen like that.

Try to build barriers in the trough that keep the worms in there but the ones that get into the tank below can be "rescued" with a baster.
If it is cycled enough the worms can live a very long time.

I don't use black worms any more because I can't get them here so I raise white worms now.

Oh you are raising white worms? How long have you been doing it?

I started a couple of months ago but my cultures are just not taking off. I am using organic soil, kept at a constant 65 degrees and feeding wheat bread, full fat yogurt and nutritional yeast flakes. I am not sure exactly what I am doing wrong, I mean they are growing but I am still waiting on any of the containers to just "take off", which they are not.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll I see you are doing that outside, what is the maximum temperature you think you can do that?
Am not sure but at a guess they need to be less than 30c. I have had pods crash in the high 20s but they come back. My cultures get about 4/5hours direct sun here in the UK.

pal98111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a couple of weeks my reef will will have reached 40 years old.
Unfortunately I don't remember when I was 40 but I remember when I set it up. I was a skinny 22 year old just back from Viet Nam.
It is still running very well, still using the same reverse UG filter, same dolomite substrait but none of the fish are original. The oldest one, a fireclown is just over 16, all of the older fish died in an accident that was due to my carelessness.
The tank is mostly LPS, gorgonians, giant mushrooms and a few leathers.
There are only three SPS corals, two of which have been with me for a few years and are growing nicely.
I am not sure is any of the original NSW from the Long Island Sound is still in there or any of the original amphipods but maybe much later generations.
I still can't take a decent picture and the tank is not as blue as these pictures but it is what it is.
opentank008.jpg

Valantinesday017.jpg

monti002.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

Aquarium014.jpg
I had an
In a couple of weeks my reef will will have reached 40 years old.
Unfortunately I don't remember when I was 40 but I remember when I set it up. I was a skinny 22 year old just back from Viet Nam.
It is still running very well, still using the same reverse UG filter, same dolomite substrait but none of the fish are original. The oldest one, a fireclown is just over 16, all of the older fish died in an accident that was due to my carelessness.
The tank is mostly LPS, gorgonians, giant mushrooms and a few leathers.
There are only three SPS corals, two of which have been with me for a few years and are growing nicely.
I am not sure is any of the original NSW from the Long Island Sound is still in there or any of the original amphipods but maybe much later generations.
I still can't take a decent picture and the tank is not as blue as these pictures but it is what it is.
opentank008.jpg

Valantinesday017.jpg

monti002.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

Aquarium014.jpg
When I was about 12 I had a salty tank and dolomite and an under gravel filter. I did many things wrong looking back and was not successful. Things have really changed a lot in the hobby since then. I'm going on 60 now and just now decided to try again -- and be successful this time. :)

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am not sure but at a guess they need to be less than 30c. I have had pods crash in the high 20s but they come back. My cultures get about 4/5hours direct sun here in the UK.

Oh yeah, they will cook here in the south. I very likely may start up a culture myself inside.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Florida on the coast so we get a nice breeze. Generally keeps it below 100 but also brings in all the humidity so it feels like 115 :rolleyes:

It is brutal in Alabama and it is June, I cannot imagine what August will bring this year other than plenty of broken down A/C units.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 102 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back