The nitrate in my tank is 40, the nitrate in the sea here reads zero. There is no nuisance algae in my tank. That is the reason I don't go by the theory that high nitrates cause algae. I have never believed that and I have never believed that water changes would eliminate nuisance algae. Just the opposite in fact. That is a rumor that unfortunately has persisted for decades. If that were so, my tank would be a lettuce farm. :eek: Don't get me started in cooking rock to remove some obscure nutrients that will grow algae or nose hair. This hobby is full of rumors. I don't like to say a lot of things I have learned because the general consensus would be that I am nuts and would be pelted with half dead sea urchins while being tickled by a Supermodel wearing hip boots and holding a feather. ;) I "am" nuts, and I like Supermodels so it may not be a bad thing after all. :D
Ich is another silly thing and no fish should get ich. I am tired of seeing that stupid chart of the lifecycle of the parasite. Our tanks are not taken over by Godzilla even though we know it's life cycle from movies. I really can't get involved in all that now but soon our tanks will not be plagued by those things any more. This hobby is still run exactly like it was in 1971 when it started with all the water changes for algae and all the quarantining for ich. But we still have the same amount of algae and ich. How many times do we read that an entire tank was wiped out by parasites even though everything was quarantined for 72 days. :( Just search for it and you will find dozens of accounts of that on every fish forum. How many people change water to control algae or cyano? Does it ever work? No, it doesn't. I am fed up to here. (My hand is under my chin) with rumors with no basis in fact. Just innuendo's, suppositions, hearsay, rumors and Jello. Now someone will say, well ich isn't the worst parasite, there is crypto, Harpo, Mombo and an entire host of worse parasites. Yes there are. The fish know all about them because they evolved right alongside them for millions of years. Why is it that my fish don't get sick? Like never. Hmmm, I wonder. I think like a lot of people say, I am extremely lucky. If I were that lucky, a Supermodel would be knocking on my door right now. But no matter how hard I listen, there is no knocking. So, it is not luck. It is something else. I wonder :rolleyes: