OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I get the intake manifold off I will use a roll of paper towels to get as much gunk out of that area as I can. Then I will pour kerosene in there and clean it up with a paintbrush. Flush it all down into the oil pan then change the lifter and put it back together. Change the oil and filter for the fourth time and see how it goes. Thats the plan anyway.

Hopefully there is no more water getting into the crankcase. My main concern is that the deck in the boat is close to the distributor and I am not sure I can get the distributor out which I need to do to get the intake manifold out. :rolleyes:

Remember I have to do this with the boat in the water.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning like most mornings at 6:00 I took a walk. As soon as I walked outside my glasses fogged up. Then I realized, I don't wear glasses. OMG, I need to call an eye doctor because I must have cataracts. But, No. It was eerily foggy and My bright green eyes still have 20/20 vision. ;Meh

I started to walk down the eerily foggy road. If I was a Sissy Mary Girly Man I would have been terribly frightened but like Winston Churchill the only thing to fear is fear itself. Of course he said that while in a bunker 100' below London with 50 heavily armed guards surrounding him and his cigar, but I think if he was walking with me, he would also not be afraid.

On this road there could be a hideous creature or spacial anomaly around any bend so it's a good thing this is a straight road with no bends. :)

Foggy road.JPG

It was like that Twilight Zone episode where that modern aircraft carrier went back in time and shot down a couple of Japanese Zero's then they all made it back and had oatmeal for breakfast.

Do do do do---Do do do doo. (That is Twilight Zone Music)

I walked and walked and it got darker and darker. I didn't know what to expect but I have a vivid imagination.

Not a sound, an insect, not even a pod sneezing pierced the totally quiet darkness.

All of a sudden I heard it........A low rumble.....It got louder,,,,then closer.....Higher pitched.....Then higher...... Maybe a pterodactyl getting ready to pounce on an anemic trilobite. OK....................it was a weed whacker.

But who knows what it could have been or who would be using such a machine at that hour.

I pushed onward. Mr Churchill was no where to be found. I kept looking around but couldn't see anything.

Golf anyone?

Foggy golf course.JPG

I approached the horse ranch that was always here. But the horses were mysteriously totally gone.
Horse ranch.JPG

If they were gone, could they have been eaten? I am not really sure what creatures lurk here and never imagined we had any that could eat 12 or 15 full grown horses.

Then I remembered, they lost their lease and moved out east. ;Facepalm

But they still could have been eaten wherever they went to. ;Wideyed

A bit farther and my jungle fighting skills kicked in and I went off road. Through the thick jungle not giving a thought what could have been waiting for me. I casually brushed off giant antlered mosquitoes and fanged humming birds.

Eventually in what seemed like eternity, I came across a dwelling.

Shed.jpeg

It looked like Otis the town drunk lived here but I dared not to enter lest it be a time portal that would instantly transport me through time and space to somewhere in the unknown universe where I didn't wish to be.

But it was to late. I must have gotten to close and got caught in the vortex.
Spinning wildly as my life flashed before my eyes.

Copper band butterflies, mandarins, white worms, my senior prom that I never went to. Supermodels, waiting in line at the supermarket. Everything just kept rolling past me.

I finally emerged and my worst fear happened.

I was transported to Holland 150 years ago. :cool:

Windmill.JPG

Attachments

• Sunrise.jpeg
    Sunrise.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Looking north.JPG
    Looking north.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 23

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning like most mornings at 6:00 I took a walk. As soon as I walked outside my glasses fogged up. Then I realized, I don't wear glasses. OMG, I need to call an eye doctor because I must have cataracts. But, No. It was eerily foggy and My bright green eyes still have 20/20 vision. ;Meh

I started to walk down the eerily foggy road. If I was a Sissy Mary Girly Man I would have been terribly frightened but like Winston Churchill the only thing to fear is fear itself. Of course he said that while in a bunker 100' below London with 50 heavily armed guards surrounding him and his cigar, but I think if he was walking with me, he would also not be afraid.

On this road there could be a hideous creature or spacial anomaly around any bend so it's a good thing this is a straight road with no bends. :)

Foggy road.JPG

It was like that Twilight Zone episode where that modern aircraft carrier went back in time and shot down a couple of Japanese Zero's then they all made it back and had oatmeal for breakfast.

Do do do do---Do do do doo. (That is Twilight Zone Music)

I walked and walked and it got darker and darker. I didn't know what to expect but I have a vivid imagination.

Not a sound, an insect, not even a pod sneezing pierced the totally quiet darkness.

All of a sudden I heard it........A low rumble.....It got louder,,,,then closer.....Higher pitched.....Then higher...... Maybe a pterodactyl getting ready to pounce on an anemic trilobite. OK....................it was a weed whacker.

But who knows what it could have been or who would be using such a machine at that hour.

I pushed onward. Mr Churchill was no where to be found. I kept looking around but couldn't see anything.

Golf anyone?

Foggy golf course.JPG

I approached the horse ranch that was always here. But the horses were mysteriously totally gone.
Horse ranch.JPG

If they were gone, could they have been eaten? I am not really sure what creatures lurk here and never imagined we had any that could eat 12 or 15 full grown horses.

Then I remembered, they lost their lease and moved out east. ;Facepalm

But they still could have been eaten wherever they went to. ;Wideyed

A bit farther and my jungle fighting skills kicked in and I went off road. Through the thick jungle not giving a thought what could have been waiting for me. I casually brushed off giant antlered mosquitoes and fanged humming birds.

Eventually in what seemed like eternity, I came across a dwelling.

Shed.jpeg

It looked like Otis the town drunk lived here but I dared not to enter lest it be a time portal that would instantly transport me through time and space to somewhere in the unknown universe where I didn't wish to be.

But it was to late. I must have gotten to close and got caught in the vortex.
Spinning wildly as my life flashed before my eyes.

Copper band butterflies, mandarins, white worms, my senior prom that I never went to. Supermodels, waiting in line at the supermarket. Everything just kept rolling past me.

I finally emerged and my worst fear happened.

I was transported to Holland 150 years ago. :cool:

Windmill.JPG

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing exciting on the beach this morning. No half dead horse shoe crabs, no damsels in distress, no deer, no snakes, windmills or wood chucks. Just a normal morning on a deserted, rock strewn beach at sunrise.

Beach Saturday.JPG

Rock strewn 1.JPG

Rock strewn 2.JPG

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing exciting on the beach this morning. No half dead horse shoe crabs, no damsels in distress, no deer, no snakes, windmills or wood chucks. Just a normal morning on a deserted, rock strewn beach at sunrise.

Beach Saturday.JPG

Rock strewn 1.JPG

Rock strewn 2.JPG
Beautiful!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found the source of the problem in my boat including the miss, loss of power, ticking sound and water intrusion and it is a very rare problem in a boat. It is also rare in a car unless it is a racing machine.

A valve spring is broken. It broke right near the bottom so I didn't notice it. A boat engine with a broken valve spring allows seawater to enter the engine because the exhaust valve doesn't close completely and when the piston goes down, it sucks seawater into the engine. This is something I have never seen before.

I removed the intake manifold, which I really didn't need to remove but I wanted to scrap out all the mayonnaise looking oil/water mixture. I cleaned up the manifold and lifters and ordered the spring.

We had company the day before yesterday and last night and today I took apart the engine in pouring rain. Tomorrow we are again having company and the next day so eventually, probably Thursday I can put most of the engine back together. Then when the spring comes in, I can complete it.

Manifold.jpg

Distribiter.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found the source of the problem in my boat including the miss, loss of power, ticking sound and water intrusion and it is a very rare problem in a boat. It is also rare in a car unless it is a racing machine.

A valve spring is broken. It broke right near the bottom so I didn't notice it. A boat engine with a broken valve spring allows seawater to enter the engine because the exhaust valve doesn't close completely and when the piston goes down, it sucks seawater into the engine. This is something I have never seen before.

I removed the intake manifold, which I really didn't need to remove but I wanted to scrap out all the mayonnaise looking oil/water mixture. I cleaned up the manifold and lifters and ordered the spring.

We had company the day before yesterday and last night and today I took apart the engine in pouring rain. Tomorrow we are again having company and the next day so eventually, probably Thursday I can put most of the engine back together. Then when the spring comes in, I can complete it.

Manifold.jpg

Distribiter.jpg
Never would have thought of the valve spring. At least it's probably the cheapest part that could have gone wrong. Although the labor aspect isn't fun either.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the slime on the distributor. ;Vomit I really didn't have to remove the intake manifold if I had found the broken spring first. I even removed the lifter only to find out it is fine.

It should take me an hour to put it back together then I have to inject air into that cylinder to hole up the valve to replace the spring. I may have it back in service by this weekend depending on when I get the spring.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Bigdaddy. All of this company is putting a toll on her but our friends are very supportive and make her laugh which is what she needs.

I like to keep her as busy as I can but of course I have to do almost all of the work. Luckily the friends we have coming over today won't be here until 3:00 or 4:00 so I have all day to work on the boat. I am going walking now then straight to the boat.

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has been helping to care for a couple who the husband has dementia and the wife has had ms for the last 30 years which is now to where she has alot of medical issues my wife's been trying to do research on Ms to help her. Maybe it would help u and her to have a private aid come a few hrs a week or use a service to help u both.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you are in there why wouldn't you replace all of the valve springs? I would assume they are all near the end of their lives or do you look forward to doing this all again?
I really don't want to give myself more work. Valve springs almost never break and I have never seen one break nor did the mechanic at my marina. It is really a fluke for this to happen

If I were going to do a valve job and re do the valves, then I may change the springs. But I am old and hope to never have to do another valve job as I have done to many already.

I got this engine back together today and it runs. Now when the spring comes in, I can finish the thing and get it away from the dock.

Bigdaddy, thank you. She has had it about 23 years but I am not yet senile and still can do everything. I may get senile tomorrow but so far she is not up to that point and I hope she never gets there. But I am 6 years older than her so it could happen. My Mother didn't get senile until she was 94.

We actually discussed this just yesterday, what would happen to her if I couldn't take care of her as it is a real possibility. We were discussing that very thing about having someone come in to take care of her as she can't even now do basic things like take out the garbage or carry anything breakable.

This is the reason we moved here to a condo. I loved my house but it was big and had stairs. I put in an elevator here so there are no stairs as she now uses a 3 wheeled walker. It's a good thing she was an athlete so is otherwise in good shape and she exercises every day. In the summer she swims in the pool here and in the winter she goes to a gym.

I made a gym for her here that she also uses every day. But it is tough and days like this where I had to spend a lot of time working on our boat and we have company coming over to go to dinner is hectic because I have to clean the house as she is a fanatic about that and can't really do it.

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't want to give myself more work. Valve springs almost never break and I have never seen one break nor did the mechanic at my marina. It is really a fluke for this to happen

If I were going to do a valve job and re do the valves, then I may change the springs. But I am old and hope to never have to do another valve job as I have done to many already.

I got this engine back together today and it runs. Now when the spring comes in, I can finish the thing and get it away from the dock.

Bigdaddy, thank you. She has had it about 23 years but I am not yet senile and still can do everything. I may get senile tomorrow but so far she is not up to that point and I hope she never gets there. But I am 6 years older than her so it could happen. My Mother didn't get senile until she was 94.

We actually discussed this just yesterday, what would happen to her if I couldn't take care of her as it is a real possibility. We were discussing that very thing about having someone come in to take care of her as she can't even now do basic things like take out the garbage or carry anything breakable.

This is the reason we moved here to a condo. I loved my house but it was big and had stairs. I put in an elevator here so there are no stairs as she now uses a 3 wheeled walker. It's a good thing she was an athlete so is otherwise in good shape and she exercises every day. In the summer she swims in the pool here and in the winter she goes to a gym.

I made a gym for her here that she also uses every day. But it is tough and days like this where I had to spend a lot of time working on our boat and we have company coming over to go to dinner is hectic because I have to clean the house as she is a fanatic about that and can't really do it.
Maybe just for ur sake have a cleaner once a week or so just to help lessen ur jobs so it'll allow u more time with ur wife

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just for ur sake have a cleaner once a week or so just to help lessen ur jobs so it'll allow u more time with ur wife
We do have a cleaning girl who comes over every two weeks but I want her to come every week now for the stuff my wife can't do.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back