Tank Build Cleaning Questions

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you clean out a new tank? Rodi water? Tap water?

Do you rinse sand/ dry rock with rodi water or tap water?

What about skimmers, powerheads, pumps.... any sort of cleaning/rinse or just put them in?

Thanks.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean tanks and equipment with just water and vinegar. Sand and rock, if it is dead, just water from the tap.

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean tanks and equipment with just water and vinegar. Sand and rock, if it is dead, just water from the tap.
Hi,
I have a established 60g cube 3yrs old. My rock work is the caribsea life rock, I wish to take some of the rock out to scrub off some tuff algae, can I do this? Or would it be advisable not too? Also can I add it back to the cube afterwards?
Many thanks

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that. Do it underwater in a bucket and then rinse it really well in tank water after. You just get a small nutrient bump in your tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
water and vinegar (vinegar just a small amount) and cold water rinse until you cannot smell vinegar any longer.
Hi,
I have a established 60g cube 3yrs old. My rock work is the caribsea life rock, I wish to take some of the rock out to scrub off some tuff algae, can I do this? Or would it be advisable not too? Also can I add it back to the cube afterwards?
Many thanks

If it is dry rock with a bunch of buildup on it, you can leave overnite in a CLEAN bucket with water and a little bleach. Rock will be nice and white. Under water pressure in a bathtub, run cold water through bucket to rinse until you can no longer smell bleach ( Cold water neutralizes bleach)

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that. Do it underwater in a bucket and then rinse it really well in tank water after. You just get a small nutrient bump in your tank.
Thanks,
I have taken three pieces out into a large bucket with some of the tank water. Used a extra bucket with r/o water to scrub what turf algae off with a battery powered toothbrush! Then socked the pieces in the tank water for a few hours, now positioned back in the cube. Tested for a spike in the parameters ie nitrite/Ammonia! All ok just a slight increase in Nitrates! But fish and corals all good.

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water and vinegar (vinegar just a small amount) and cold water rinse until you cannot smell vinegar any longer.

If it is dry rock with a bunch of buildup on it, you can leave overnite in a CLEAN bucket with water and a little bleach. Rock will be nice and white. Under water pressure in a bathtub, run cold water through bucket to rinse until you can no longer smell bleach ( Cold water neutralizes bleach)
Vetteguy,
Thanks also for the advice:) with your comment..this gives me another way in the future.:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • Full frame

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • All of the above

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back